Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

6 hours ago, Renzo said:

Just waiting to be advised where I need to report to collect my yellow star and to have my allocated number tattooed onto my inner arm. Land of Smiles? Really? 

As I said in a recent reply to a similar subject, when The Netherlands was occupied by you-know-who, in the 1940s, the same sort of data was collected for every household.

It might be of more use if fingerprints were recorded, in the unlikely event they find one of us in a deep freezer.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all part of the Orwellian control-grid that has been long in the planning (hence Orwell, with his British Intelligence connections, was aware of it in the 1940s) - not just in Thailand but all over the world. The idea is to control and watch every aspect of our lives - so as to neutralise any threat to the faux-elites that the billions of 'the masses' might be deemed to pose. Those with power at the top (the tiny minority) are now paranoid about the billions of the rest of us who, thanks to the Internet, have seen through their pathetic but evil game and resist to the maximum.

A group of rulers at ease with themselves and others do not need to turn their nation into a prying and probing prison state - but increasingly that is what Thailand is becoming, not only for foreigners, but also for dispossessed and disenfranchised Thais. 'Rulers' with fragile and frightened egos (but who act big and wield tank-size weapons) are control freaks who are deep-down terrified that 'the worm will turn' and say: 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!' and rebel. And nothing is more dangerous to such an oligarchy than those who QUESTION what is going on and dare to think CRITICALLY. This must be countered at all points.

So: keep foreigners well under surveillance and control; keep the populace dumbed down and stupid, so that they do not even realise that they are prisoners in their own land. Throw mindless entertainment (complete with bells and whistles and bongs) at the masses, to keep their minds infantile and unaware of the tightening noose around their neck. And for Heaven's sake - keep those nasty foreigners, with their tradition of freedom of thought, critical thinking and liberty of expression, securely bound and gagged inside the prison walls of the 'hide-the-truth-at-all-costs' nation.

It's all for your own good, you know. If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide. The 'good men' who rule over us know what is best for the nation. Who needs pesky foreigners anyway? They are a dangerous irritant. Oh - is that a watchtower I see being constructed just across the way, with a nice concentration camp attached to it? Lovely. I feel really safe now.

God bless our beneficent rulers!

25 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

The local cop was here a couple of days ago. He was local, assigned to our village, not Immigration Police. 

The form is no more intrusive than what I told the US Consulate when I registered. Immigration gets my income info every year when I extend. Why should I care if the authorities ask again? They were polite, friendly even, and I offered to translate for anyone whose wife can't do it, or who lives alone.

I think using the word "controversial" in the headline was provocative and misleading.

Personally, I don't mind the cops next door knowing whom to contact when they find my cold corpse.

When that good guy cop tells his brother-n-law about how much money that farang has on such-and-such street, then maybe they will be scraping your cold corpse up much sooner than you realize.

Just now, masuk said:

From what I read on Thai Visa, reporting news around the country, the great majority of crimes seem to be committed by itinerants, not us clean living retirees!

This is confusing. Who says they're after crimes?  Maybe they're just collecting basic data for a census.

Are short-time tourists affected, too? 

9 minutes ago, Jools said:

Cambodia beckons.....easy visa.....no hassles.....no 90 day reports and NO bovine excrement.  Watch as Thailand pushes thousands of expats into a neighboring country. They are simply unwilling to do ANYTHING except KILL the goose that is laying their golden eggs. The stultifying, gross stupidity of these monkeys defies all understanding.

yes but Cambodia is crap

Maybe its time that all falangs got together on this one and petitioned the government, after all we are about 1,00000 in this country, would be interesting to see what happens to the economy when everybody goes home and nobody wants to live in Thailand because of stupid immigration regulations. No other falang country that I know of has these invasive questions. Maybe a few UTUBE  videos making people aware of the Big Brother syndrome increasing in Thailand would make them think twice about what they trying to instigate.  Then maybe somebody would end up with egg on their face.

I personally have not had to fill out any special forms as yet, but no doubt in time it will come my way.

I don't know what the problem is with all this,,,they have got all the info already from your passport and from your application of stay,,,,Like your bank account and all the other bullshit that goes with that,,,,just provide the same crap again,again & maybe again,,,,No problem,,,,Tell you what doh ,It would be nice if they put all that shit on a file in the computer like in Aus ,they put in your number in the Com and it shows Everything except your Dick size.. Isn't that something,,,Maybe they could learn something and safe Tonnes of paper every day... end of rant thank you...

Cambodia now is the way Thailand was 40-50 years ago. At one time in the early 60s Thailand offered permanent residence free to anyone who wanted to stay along with lifetime work permits- I know a few who are here and have them.  Once Cambodia starts to seek newly industrialized status it to will change its easy immigration policy.  The problem within Thailand is that there are far too many  foreigners who have entered  who are wanted by the police of their own countries; some who are intent on using Thailand as a base for crime and some who are just generally bad people. While all of these types are in the minority- once they act out if becomes front page news and we are all tarred by the same brush.

'In a section titled ‘Personal Appearance’ the form also asks for details of height, weight, skin colour, hair colour and details of any scars.' Plain clothes, or the newly invented plain closed, if they need to ask hair and skin colour, they must be wearing blinkers. That comment does, of course, ignore the obvious racist overtones. And always assuming they were still alive, details of my parents have bugger-all to do with them - unless they think there is a terrorist link. And the way the Thai RTP thinks, that is unlikely.

'What's going on?  Next will be having to report to the village head man AND immigration every 90 days?  And why do we have to fill the information 90 day forms out AND this new one AND this home delivered police one... ALL with the SAME information on them ...' It's down to the Thais' version of triplicate. They never see the point in wasting carbon paper.

'... Thailand’s Immigration Bureau introduced a ‘Foreign National Information Form’ which asked foreigners for provide a wide range of personal information including bank account numbers, social media accounts and even places they frequently visit.' As a number of us have observed on this forum, that is not precisely accurate. Social media ... or email address, as another communication option. Places frequently visited: Starbucks works well enough - or nothing at all. And bank account numbers are only required for certain types of visa.

Just now, Thaidream said:

Cambodia now is the way Thailand was 40-50 years ago. At one time in the early 60s Thailand offered permanent residence free to anyone who wanted to stay along with lifetime work permits- I know a few who are here and have them.  Once Cambodia starts to seek newly industrialized status it to will change its easy immigration policy.  The problem within Thailand is that there are far too many  foreigners who have entered  who are wanted by the police of their own countries; some who are intent on using Thailand as a base for crime and some who are just generally bad people. While all of these types are in the minority- once they act out if becomes front page news and we are all tarred by the same brush.

The only thing true in your comment is that Cambodia is years behind Thailand. But as for criminals settling here- pure nonsense. The UK - The USA and Europe a much greater problem with foreign criminals. You should not believe all the headlines you read and instead look at the facts.  Stop spreading lies and propaganda. A few crims come here to retire - very few to continue a life of crime and only then with the permission of Thai authorities.

Just now, DUNROAMIN said:

Maybe its time that all falangs got together on this one and petitioned the government, after all we are about 1,00000 in this country, would be interesting to see what happens to the economy when everybody goes home and nobody wants to live in Thailand because of stupid immigration regulations. No other falang country that I know of has these invasive questions. Maybe a few UTUBE  videos making people aware of the Big Brother syndrome increasing in Thailand would make them think twice about what they trying to instigate.  Then maybe somebody would end up with egg on their face.

I personally have not had to fill out any special forms as yet, but no doubt in time it will come my way.

Do you mean foreigners? Or just white Europeans? What's this farang nonsense. 

18 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

yes but Cambodia is crap

You offer nothing except this statement to back up your claim. Cambodia is FAR from being "crap". It is a developing country which is swiftly overtaking Thailand in attracting retirees and tourists. Thailand ignores Cambodia at its own peril. Many expats are happily living in Cambodia and being LEFT ALONE by the authorities there. That's the bottom line. Thailand needs to collect its fees and get OUT OF OUR LIVES. Persecute your OWN people....leave the cash cows ALONE!!!!!

2 minutes ago, alofthailand said:

Do you mean foreigners? Or just white Europeans? What's this farang nonsense. 

Yes, we should be careful about the word 'farang', as it does NOT mean 'foreigner' in general - but only Caucasians (white Europeans/ Americans/ Australians, etc.). A black person or a Japanese person, for example, would not be referred to by Thais as 'farang'.

I think the poster probably meant all of us foreigners - regardless of our ethnic background. But as you say - 'farang' would not be the correct term here. Just a point that we should all bear in mind if we use the term 'farang' (which I never do when speaking English!).

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

This is all part of the Orwellian control-grid that has been long in the planning (hence Orwell, with his British Intelligence connections, was aware of it in the 1940s) - not just in Thailand but all over the world. The idea is to control and watch every aspect of our lives - so as to neutralise any threat to the faux-elites that the billions of 'the masses' might be deemed to pose. Those with power at the top (the tiny minority) are now paranoid about the billions of the rest of us who, thanks to the Internet, have seen through their pathetic but evil game and resist to the maximum.

A group of rulers at ease with themselves and others do not need to turn their nation into a prying and probing prison state - but increasingly that is what Thailand is becoming, not only for foreigners, but also for dispossessed and disenfranchised Thais. 'Rulers' with fragile and frightened egos (but who act big and wield tank-size weapons) are control freaks who are deep-down terrified that 'the worm will turn' and say: 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!' and rebel. And nothing is more dangerous to such an oligarchy than those who QUESTION what is going on and dare to think CRITICALLY. This must be countered at all points.

So: keep foreigners well under surveillance and control; keep the populace dumbed down and stupid, so that they do not even realise that they are prisoners in their own land. Throw mindless entertainment (complete with bells and whistles and bongs) at the masses, to keep their minds infantile and unaware of the tightening noose around their neck. And for Heaven's sake - keep those nasty foreigners, with their tradition of freedom of thought, critical thinking and liberty of expression, securely bound and gagged inside the prison walls of the 'hide-the-truth-at-all-costs' nation.

It's all for your own good, you know. If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide. The 'good men' who rule over us know what is best for the nation. Who needs pesky foreigners anyway? They are a dangerous irritant. Oh - is that a watchtower I see being constructed just across the way, with a nice concentration camp attached to it? Lovely. I feel really safe now.

God bless our beneficent rulers!

Thailand is doing the right thing. While other nations are being swamped by mass immigration (for reasons I am sure you understand) Thailand is perhaps anticipating problems and tightening up. I don't think they are after decent folk, since I have yet to hear of anyone being deported. Those who abuse Thai's hospitality only have themselves to blame.

I am not sure Thailand is fully on the globalist team yet, hence kicking and keeping Mr T out. 

What seems a little ironic is people getting paranoid about Thailand requesting this info when everything we do and say online and near our phones, is being recorded and archived and has been for years ("Collect it all"). There are so many catch-all laws, they can get you for anything they like or simply pick you up without charge and you are history. I also think it is sensible of Thailand to maintain paper records. 

I also have concerns about what's coming down the pipeline but it's not for this topic. 

I have made the move to the Philippines,  very simple visas and I have been treated exceptionally well by immigration at 4 different offices.

I spend a couple of months each year in Thailand and I love it.  I have never had a problem with immigration,  I get a sixty day visa in Penang and leave on time.  Everybody is always nice to me.

25 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I wish someone would stand up and do this. As long as nobody says something, it's likely to get worse. We have lives, families and property her. We are educating our wives, teaching our Thai children and contributing to the economy on a daily basis. The thing is that 99% of the Thais don't even know how tight the rules regarding to jobs and visas are for foreigners. So when doing a movie, it would be good to have Thai subs as well. PM me if you really want to set something up. Posting on ThaiVisa doesn't change a thing.

1 minute ago, rosst said:

I have made the move to the Philippines,  very simple visas and I have been treated exceptionally well by immigration at 4 different offices.

I spend a couple of months each year in Thailand and I love it.  I have never had a problem with immigration,  I get a sixty day visa in Penang and leave on time.  Everybody is always nice to me.

Agree on immigration. Dress cleanly, stay cool, do as they request and it's plain sailing. I was in the Philippines many years ago, enjoyed it but the food was awful, roads a shambles and crime a worry. Has it changed?

First introduced in April, the form is now in the process of being rolled out nationwide and is already in use in a number of immigration offices in Thailand including Phuket, Samut Prakan, Chaengwattana and Pattaya.

Can someone please tell me where the immigration office is in Pattaya.  I know the one in soi 5 JOMTIEN,  but unaware of 1 in Pattaya.  5555. 

18 minutes ago, Choctastic said:

Thailand is doing the right thing. While other nations are being swamped by mass immigration (for reasons I am sure you understand) Thailand is perhaps anticipating problems and tightening up. I don't think they are after decent folk, since I have yet to hear of anyone being deported. Those who abuse Thai's hospitality only have themselves to blame.

I am not sure Thailand is fully on the globalist team yet, hence kicking and keeping Mr T out. 

What seems a little ironic is people getting paranoid about Thailand requesting this info when everything we do and say online and near our phones, is being recorded and archived and has been for years ("Collect it all"). There are so many catch-all laws, they can get you for anything they like or simply pick you up without charge and you are history. I also think it is sensible of Thailand to maintain paper records. 

I also have concerns about what's coming down the pipeline but it's not for this topic. 

I get what you are saying and understand that authorities have to be vigilant with the unknown, however I think that a line needs to be drawn somewhere here. Cheers

7 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

There is already a ton of cyber-ink spilled on the Thai Visa forum since I broke the news on the forum about this form six months ago  (I still chuckle at UbonJoe's post:  "Looks like nonsense to me. There is no new form.").  Ah yes, some are still in denial.  

However, on several threads at TV, I picked up a lot of good suggestions on how to tactfully fill in the form, satisfying both my need for privacy and immigration's need to have the form submitted.  I did so, just last week for the first time, and the officer processing me hardly glanced at it before chucking it in my file.  

A lot of helpful information here.   I would suggest to read up, and fly over this little hurdle without ruffling your feathers. 

At the moment it looks to be written document that will get lost in all the other docs that immigration has to file.

But once it becomes a requirement to complete online within a specific period then more attention may be paid to whatever information has been submitted.

51 minutes ago, Choctastic said:

Agree on immigration. Dress cleanly, stay cool, do as they request and it's plain sailing. I was in the Philippines many years ago, enjoyed it but the food was awful, roads a shambles and crime a worry. Has it changed?

I too spent a few years in the Phils. Immigration was a no brainer and the people were excellent. It probably helped that English is  second language for them but I found even the poorest local to be very polite and humble>  I do miss the marine side of things being in Chiang Mai and the Phils has so many islands that you are always near the sea.

Since I arrived in CM about 4 years ago, I have seen things change. The biggest difference has been with the Immigration office in CM.  Unfortunately it isnt getting better but with the use of agents it doesnt force me to look elsewhere (Yet)

If I was to move...then Cambodia would possibly be my first choice.  Myanmar still has a long way to go for everything. Laos would get a look but not before Vietnam was checked out.

Interesting times!...

7 hours ago, waldroj said:

In a recent development, the junta has ordered that all foreigners are to be rounded up, and the letter "F" placed on their foreheads to facilitate easy identification by authorities. 

download.jpg

...how about a 'sheep dip' at the airport..dye us all a luminous colour.

59 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'In a section titled ‘Personal Appearance’ the form also asks for details of height, weight, skin colour, hair colour and details of any scars.' Plain clothes, or the newly invented plain closed, if they need to ask hair and skin colour, they must be wearing blinkers. That comment does, of course, ignore the obvious racist overtones. And always assuming they were still alive, details of my parents have bugger-all to do with them - unless they think there is a terrorist link. And the way the Thai RTP thinks, that is unlikely.

'What's going on?  Next will be having to report to the village head man AND immigration every 90 days?  And why do we have to fill the information 90 day forms out AND this new one AND this home delivered police one... ALL with the SAME information on them ...' It's down to the Thais' version of triplicate. They never see the point in wasting carbon paper.

'... Thailand’s Immigration Bureau introduced a ‘Foreign National Information Form’ which asked foreigners for provide a wide range of personal information including bank account numbers, social media accounts and even places they frequently visit.' As a number of us have observed on this forum, that is not precisely accurate. Social media ... or email address, as another communication option. Places frequently visited: Starbucks works well enough - or nothing at all. And bank account numbers are only required for certain types of visa.

It's called Bureaucracy. It also gives immigration something to do instead of sitting around scratching their balls all day.

Archived