Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply, they will just ask you because the "form" is in Thai language (my case).
The purpose is actually IDENTIFICATION, imo.
They didn't actually answer me when I asked what's the rationale (latest).
But as far as I can remember 2 years ago, they just wanted to know whether a certain "foreigner " in a certain place is still there or had gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Simply, they will just ask you because the "form" is in Thai language (my case).
The purpose is actually IDENTIFICATION, imo.
They didn't actually answer me when I asked what's the rationale (latest).
But as far as I can remember 2 years ago, they just wanted to know whether a certain "foreigner " in a certain place is still there or had gone.

Simply decline and refer them to immigration and get them to download your info. 
You have broken no law. I would be saying no thank you. I are not a criminal and do not wish to be treated as such.
Thanks bye.

There's nothing to be worried about on this.
If you bring here no harm, then we simply have to conform with their "laws", otherwise, we better be in our own home country.
I'm sorry sir. I just want to reassure you. Whether we want it or not, what they did might be for the benefit of the many; ei for the national security.
I apologize if you misunderstood.
Thanks. Just my iota of thoughts.

34 minutes ago, Terdsak said:

When will you get it into your thick farang skulls, they don't want you lolloping around here month after month, doing nothing, spending peanuts?; they want you here for two or three weeks, splashing the cash in strictly proscribed tourist areas.

I believe Thailand/Siam was one of the original signatories to the U.D.H.R. article 8 of which

describes the right to privacy and a family life without undue interruption from the state etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy

12 hours ago, Busagon said:

The police nust take care the Thai people. Many forener come to Thailand and make trouble. eg. Cut the body and put in the river and the freezer. do the bombs, kill the Thai with car and motorbike, steal the ATM, fighting the Thai people, killing the thai peple, get the drink and not pay, stay long time but not have the visa and more.

Everyday police have the problem. Many many problem because the forener have in Thailand. And crazy people.

So they must check the forener.

Are you for real or a Junta robot?

Are you aware that tourism and long term expats - means  falagans in TH - is the only booming sector of your economy?

Are you aware that its not falangs who put 3x the allowed persons on a bot, wreck it and flee the scene? (just like in 90% of every bus accident)

The list goes on but I'm most probably loosing my time rn

17 hours ago, jcisco said:

Rather interesting the level of resources they are putting into policing issues that aren't well their policing issue.  Are they being pressured to do this or is it their way of scoring points with foreign governments to try get some action on the people they are looking to get back.

Vexing indeed.

I think foreign governments are happy ( if they have a brain or are able to have feelings that both I doubt ) if their bad boys are far away...if they bring them back they have to pay into the legal machine and most likly pay the jail for them...so if they get locked up in Bang Khwan ( which usualy happens after some time - the kamma follows the doer like the sun/shade to quote some buddhism ) and someone throws the key away purpose served....well to comment on the subject : this shows the little nitty gritty thai phobia about everything foreign...in one way they take the money ( pattaya where the send their girls for work ) but dont give the falang an overall very bad deal when he decides to live with his new found bar angel somewhere upcountry .... no landownership allowed...no proper health insurance offered....visa and business rules from the medival age..medium service for top dollars....a super burocracy as big as corrupt...etc....etc... the bad deal for the strange ghosts....gimme money take care me = good falang....if anything more no no no mai dai mai loo no good no understand = f off....= thai logic

8 hours ago, gigman said:

Most of people saying..."I will never allow to put chip on me"  ....

Problem is that they are wrong...

They will beg for it on they knees when time comes....

It' s simple..; who has no chip will be automatically treated as enemy of the state hence ..maybe potential terrorist...

Just one example; no doctor services if no chip... and so on and on (nice???):partytime2:

followed by  booming market in modified chips with someone else's data in

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What concerns me more is that this form is even necessary at all... IF it is for 'body identification purposes' it alarms me that foreigners are coming to an untoward end in such numbers that forms such as this are considered necessary. 

Could make things easier if Chiang Mai gets hit by a tsunami.

23 minutes ago, free123 said:

I think foreign governments are happy ( if they have a brain or are able to have feelings that both I doubt ) if their bad boys are far away...if they bring them back they have to pay into the legal machine and most likly pay the jail for them...so if they get locked up in Bang Khwan ( which usualy happens after some time - the kamma follows the doer like the sun/shade to quote some buddhism ) and someone throws the key away purpose served....well to comment on the subject : this shows the little nitty gritty thai phobia about everything foreign...in one way they take the money ( pattaya where the send their girls for work ) but dont give the falang an overall very bad deal when he decides to live with his new found bar angel somewhere upcountry .... no landownership allowed...no proper health insurance offered....visa and business rules from the medival age..medium service for top dollars....a super burocracy as big as corrupt...etc....etc... the bad deal for the strange ghosts....gimme money take care me = good falang....if anything more no no no mai dai mai loo no good no understand = f off....= thai logic

23 minutes ago, free123 said:

"Gimme money take care me = good citizen" is a perfect description of European mentality (Germany in my case) 

I happened to get cut off from my money by German bureaucrats for some months, with no help from Germans whatsoever. It was Thai people that helped me, so absolutely nothing to complain about Thailand. 

Many like to talk about corruption in Thailand. In Europe there's all kind of fees, you have to pay them with absolutely no guarantee you get anything for your money - and that's worse. Just to compare realities in those different cultures. 

I consider Europe highly criminal (believe me, I had my experiences), and it's some really violent surveillance states over there. Europeans love to stick their noses into everything that should be of no interest for them. Really can't be worse in Thailand. 

10 hours ago, Eligius said:

So true. And isn't that also true of what's happening in our world generally - with the never-ending erosion of our civil liberties and the ever-tightening grip of the Control State. People need to speak out!

The real question is why is this information- some of which immigration already has - needed. Ok i get that they are conducting mass surveillance of everyone inside Thailand but Skin color - Really?

Next step is they will require a DNA  database of all foreigners for, you know, "crime prevention".

Essentially the state  will have every piece of information about you in a single database to frame anyone for any crime and confiscate your assets.

18 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

I have no issue with any information given to the authorities, except income maybe. 

But most of the info is actually given when applying for visa anyway.

Exactly, most of this information can be obtained from information already submitted , unfortunately they seem to file it in a bottomless pit and therefore seem unable to retrieve it, so rather than ask only once at Visa renewal time for every person, which if they did after one year they would have ALL the information. They use resources to really make the foreigners feel ill at ease by going around and asking a lot of repetitive questions.

It is the sort of half baked idea put into action by thoughtless senior officers attempting to make themselves look good in the eyes of their bosses, the recipients of the Foreigners ire, are not the people who invented this ridiculous form but those who attempt to implement it as well as the expat community who are beginning to feel unwelcome in a country many have made their home successfully raising families and abiding by all the laws of the land.

There are times when as an expat, one really does begin to wonder if the RTP do actually think and if so what do they think, because almost at every turn they try to make Foreigners feel unwelcome, which if truth is really told, I have been informed that Expats and tourist alike account for just over 10 % of GDP, which whichever way you look at it is not a small figure by any means.

9 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Exactly, most of this information can be obtained from information already submitted , unfortunately they seem to file it in a bottomless pit and therefore seem unable to retrieve it, so rather than ask only once at Visa renewal time for every person, which if they did after one year they would have ALL the information. They use resources to really make the foreigners feel ill at ease by going around and asking a lot of repetitive questions.

It is the sort of half baked idea put into action by thoughtless senior officers attempting to make themselves look good in the eyes of their bosses, the recipients of the Foreigners ire, are not the people who invented this ridiculous form but those who attempt to implement it as well as the expat community who are beginning to feel unwelcome in a country many have made their home successfully raising families and abiding by all the laws of the land.

There are times when as an expat, one really does begin to wonder if the RTP do actually think and if so what do they think, because almost at every turn they try to make Foreigners feel unwelcome, which if truth is really told, I have been informed that Expats and tourist alike account for just over 10 % of GDP, which whichever way you look at it is not a small figure by any means.

Just compare this to the hassle Thai citizens have to cope with if they want to go to Europe, the UK, or the USA. The paperwork they have to fill in order to go to these countries (or even settle down there) is nothing as compared to the form in question. Thailand is a sovereign country, why should any Farang be treated better in Thailand than a Thai in Farangistan? 

22 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Just compare this to the hassle Thai citizens have to cope with if they want to go to Europe, the UK, or the USA. The paperwork they have to fill in order to go to these countries (or even settle down there) is nothing as compared to the form in question. Thailand is a sovereign country, why should any Farang be treated better in Thailand than a Thai in Farangistan? 

Yes it might be harder to get in, but once you are in then you are not treated with distain like the Western Foreigners are in Thailand.  No visa every year, no 90 reporting, no police coming round your house, no people trying to scam for money at every turn (BiB, Immigration)  oh you can work also and you can have a bank account.  You also don't have to fill in stupid paper work all the time because the people who work for the Depts that matter are so stupid they can not file the original properly.  Did I mention medical care....and the biggest thing is...you are treated like a human being with Human Rights

So lets not talk about hassle because apart from procedure there is no hassle and lets face it the reason its harder is to stop the spongers coming to their countries....not many spongers in Thailand, I think you will find its the other way round.  

36 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I don't know about your country, but getting a Schengen visa turned out to be easier than getting a tourist visa to Thailand. This was just a few weeks ago. There are no additional forms when in the country. Don't be silly to state that the form in question is the only thing you have to fill in in order to stay in Thailand.

I had to fill out this Personal Information form several times at the CM Promenada office when getting re-entry permits.  I just make up information and put it down and no one has ever said anything to me about it.  When it asks for information on my motorcycle I just make up numbers and letters.  When it asks for websites I use I just make up things like dontmatter.com. whocares.com and whyask.com.  The only thing that is true is my name, address and passport number.

This is just more paper that no one ever bothers to look at.  It never ceases to amaze me how much paperwork is required by Thai Immigration to get things like visas, extensions and re-entry permits.  Somewhere in this country there must be a huge warehouse full of paper just waiting to become a fire hazard.

My main worry with all this info,  would be trying to tie you to fake social media accounts .

Info such as maiden name/ parents name are often used as security questions. When they add pets names and first school, you will know there really is trouble !

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seem to me as though this form is for 'body identification purposes'... 

Some bright spark in a position of decision making power has thought..."this would be a good idea" and then gone ahead with introducing the form... 

IMO: This is just a little ignorantly naive, its slightly invasive... however, when considering the bigger picture there really isn't much of an issue with providing the information in the form (with the exception of Salary).

What concerns me more is that this form is even necessary at all... IF it is for 'body identification purposes' it alarms me that foreigners are coming to an untoward end in such numbers that forms such as this are 

20 hours ago, PaulBraveheart said:

Get ready for your RFID chip.

68530_463829797035118_228657744_n.jpg

10937367_587933651308512_328216991_n.jpg

10665735_355767897938052_1919873681893434678_n.jpg

kjk.png

Time wasting problem inventing money extorting retards. Go ask your own family you much money they get after there alcohol abuse and gambling problems. 

They never have liked us where to intelligent.  Sorry I do not give a toss about your paper. In fact I filled in to much already go. GO AWAY. YOUR NOW A PEST.

9 hours ago, swanny321 said:

I believe Thailand/Siam was one of the original signatories to the U.D.H.R. article 8 of which

describes the right to privacy and a family life without undue interruption from the state etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy

Swanny your right and wrong. These people make not much money. They rely input input. The Thai average shop on street you use. Wants you.

The arrogant dumb regime let's police and all puppets concerned destroy country. Simply this government is only wanting get money for retirement. Prayut is half Chinese. I do not give a flick about there papers. 

What happened to the big INTERNET HUB. Thailand digital hub. LOL

They are street crawling with forms.

A embarrassing time.

Of course the people who are screaming so loudly about all of this have not stopped to consider the extent that information is gathered by their home country government on them, neither have they ever tried to fill out an application form for a long stay visa in say the UK or the US - what we see here is almost nothing by comparison so why get so upset!

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Of course the people who are screaming so loudly about all of this have not stopped to consider the extent that information is gathered by their home country government on them, neither have they ever tried to fill out an application form for a long stay visa in say the UK or the US - what we see here is almost nothing by comparison so why get so upset!

I don't think the form is the main concern. It's more to do with people turning up at the door demanding that your fill it out in front of them. Why not just make a public announcement telling all foreigners they have to submit this form to a central location by such and such a date. It's got to be easier than going door to door, hoping folks will be in when you knock!!!

Archived