1st Tier Automotive Start Up Questions

scoooooby

Hi All, Just after your thoughts and comments as to where the best location would be for a 1st Tier Automotive manufacturer to be based. Needs to be in an IEAT approved site as it will be 100% foreign owned. Initially looking for a 3 yr rental in a ready made building (c2000sqm). There are hundreds of options in the Eastern Seaboard region I know however the one important factor is staffing (approx. 50 workers), getting staff seems to be straight forward (if you offer the correct $$$ pack) however retaining them seems to be the challenge! The issue being such low unemployment and the Eastern Seaboard has so many similar companies so that the direct staff seem to move for a 1000+ baht salary increase and the completion for staff is high. Not want to be too remote from the Automotive OEMs but need to consider the best positioning. Do we remain in the Chonburi/Rayong border area, consider moving closer to BKK, move more south to Rayong coast or even look at a more NE option towards Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima)...... helpful comments please.....  :smile:

It doesn't matter where you are (within reason). If your staff feel part of a family, they won't quit on you. Many of these workers are from upcountry, and they get lonely. 

Having a sense of family is what they really want. If you can foster that and your management is aware of it, you will do really well.

Someone once said to me, "You're not a real manager until you've managed in Thailand".

Your problem isn't location. It's people.

Will your manager know your staff's nicknames and their real names? How old they are? Their children's names and ages? Where they are from?

If they do your retention will improve massively.

Agree with blackcab.

I would like to add is get middle management that speak English.
It's worth paying a bit more for this.
Have at least one foreign manager who speaks Thai or learn it yourself.
I have seen the difference it makes on moral.

Do have activities like yearly company trips and things like that to build a team.

Archived