649 baht Chicken Breast ?

jamie2009

I did my weekly shop at Big C, paid the Bill then thought that's a lot more than normal. I checked the Till Roll, 1 item 649 baht.

I asked the lady on the Till she said Steak, I never bought Steak, she then took all the meat items out of the Trolley, off to Customer Service.

I had bought a single Chicken Breast, 49 baht, it had gone through as 649 baht, I was given a refund but no explanation why a mistake had been made although none of the staff speak very good English anyway.

Was this a one off or does this happen with other items, just as well I checked my Till Roll before I left the shop.

I check every single item as it goes past the scanner. Hardly a week goes by without me seeing some sort of error or mispriced item. Remember: incompetence and bad training is the order of the day here.

Presumably your bag just had the wrong sticker put on it, or maybe the person weighing it simply tapped in the code for steak instead of the code for chicken. You need to watch that like a hawk also.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I check every single item as it goes past the scanner. Hardly a week goes by without me seeing some sort of error or mispriced item. Remember: incompetence and bad training is the order of the day here.

Presumably your bag just had the wrong sticker put on it, or maybe the person weighing it simply tapped in the code for steak instead of the code for chicken. You need to watch that like a hawk also.

The bag had a Bar Code and the price on the sticker was 49 baht.

10 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

The bag had a Bar Code and the price on the sticker was 49 baht.

Hmm. I wonder how it managed to scan at 649B? Maybe an item belonging to someone else was passed through with yours? Watching the display as the items are scanned would have allowed you to spot this as it happened.

Another good idea is to keep a running total of the price in your head as you put each item in the trolley. My total is usually correct when I do this. Carry a calculator with you if you cant do mental arithmetic.

As I said, errors and/or tricks are par for the course here. Caveat emptor.

Just a glitch never had a problem with wrong price, staff who I belive are very well trained have always spotted any problems as it goes through the scanner. Sad life if you carry a calculator into a supermarket as for tricks used what would they be then??????

Edited by Deepinthailand

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Just a glitch never had a problem with wrong price, staff who I belive are very well trained have always spotted any problems as it goes through the scanner. Sad life if you carry a calculator into a supermarket as for tricks used what would they be then??????

My mental arithmetic is fine, so I dont need a calculator. Surprising though that I should often spot errors when you see none. Maybe you need the calculator?

9 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

You either have been very very lucky or just naive...................:thumbsup:

Many times in my local upcountry Big C, the price at the register is not the same as the price marked on the shelf. It never seems to be the lower price either. The problem is that it can take them 20 minutes to get it straight and I am never sure if it is worth the 20 baht... 

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Many times in my local upcountry Big C, the price at the register is not the same as the price marked on the shelf. It never seems to be the lower price either. The problem is that it can take them 20 minutes to get it straight and I am never sure if it is worth the 20 baht... 

Is it intentional or am I being cynical, it took nearly 15 minutes to sort my problem out and that was only 1 item.

It always makes me laugh in the Shops here where the Staff are hiding out of view of the CCTV looking at their Mobile Phones, why are they allowed to bring their Mobiles on too the Shop Floor.

In Tesco in the U.K. their policy is if they make a mistake on a product they give you it for free and refund you twice the cost of the product. They also have a system you collect a hand held scanner  using your Club Card, scan your produce, go back to the collection point, replace the scanner which then adds up your goods, pay with cash or card. It's quite a lax system I have never seen anyone stopped by security.

An ongoing scam is the Self Service Check outs where you have to weigh loose fruit or veg, you can enter onions when in fact you might have bought Apples. BTW I don't do that but know people who do, if the Assistant spots it they say they forgot to bring their Specs although some one did get caught the other day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/court-finds-man-guilty-of-incorrectly-scanning-apples-at-tesco-s/

Happened me a few times in the past, last time about 2 weeks ago.

I had only a few items and had calculated the total already, in my head without a calculator :whistling:, then I got a ticket that was 111 Baht higher then calculated.

So I checked the receipt and a single 37 Baht item was counted 4 times instead.

What however happens many times at that particular establishment is that prices at the check out are higher than on the shelve. You get your money back, if you notice it right there and then, but it cost you up to an half hour to get it solved.

Strange enough, in more than 20 years this has never happened to me at Foodland.

43 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Same here in BKK. My local Big C extra seems to mis-price stuff all the time as does my local Makro, meaning the register price ends up being higher than the shelf price, and/or, the item is supposedly on sale but doesn't ring up that way.

For some reason, the mis-pricing usually seems to work in the store's favor, not in the customer's favor. Imagine that!

ALWAYS check the register tape vs what you saw on the shelf price.

At least at my Big C Extra, they've moved the video screen that shows the prices down to the far end of the cashier aisle, making it somewhat difficult to see the prices whiz past as they're actually being rung up.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At least at my Big C Extra, they've moved the video screen that shows the prices down to the far end of the cashier aisle, making it somewhat difficult to see the prices whiz past as they're actually being rung up.

In my opinion that makes it just easier to notice mistakes, since at the far end of the aisle is where you as a customer should be during check out, if only it was for the convenience of the customers that come behind you.

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

In my opinion that makes it just easier to notice mistakes, since at the far end of the aisle is where you as a customer should be during check out, if only it was for the convenience of the customers that come behind you.

I usually stay in front of the cashier, because there often are issues about items or they mistakenly start ringing up other people's items as part of my order. And at least at my Big C in BKK, standing near the cashier doesn't allow you to see the video screen. But nor does it block or impede those behind you from placing their items on the conveyor belt.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I usually stay in front of the cashier, because there often are issues about items or they mistakenly start ringing up other people's items as part of my order. And at least at my Big C in BKK, standing near the cashier doesn't allow you to see the video screen. But nor does it block or impede those behind you from placing their items on the conveyor belt.

Try to stand at the far end next time, from that location you can perfectly see what is in the cashiers hands, which you can not when you stand in front since the till blocks the view of her hands ( unless you're 2.5 meter tall of course), and at the same time you can see the price of every item scanned on the display.

This has saved me much time in the past, because when I notice a wrong price I can immediately ask to remove the item, instead of after the check out having to wait half an hour until some of their roller skaters has gone into the shop to check the price on the shelve.

This was some free advice brought to you by Anthony:biggrin:

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

Try to stand at the far end next time, from that location you can perfectly see what is in the cashiers hands, which you can not when you stand in front since the till blocks the view of her hands ( unless you're 2.5 meter tall of course), ...

You obviously haven't been paying attention to my user name here...

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Not saying you are, but most newbies miss a lot. Going by your demeanour, you have likely been diddled quite a bit. Have seen it numerous times (from Tesco to Big C, Carrefour (especially) Makro, Rim Ping, you name it) when staff have missed a discrepancy... I mean why would they notice? One doesn't need a calculator to know when something's up, just make a mental note and keep an eye on the scanner. Up to you if you'd rather stay switched off and lose out. Each to their own n all that. ;)

14 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Not saying you are, but most newbies miss a lot. Going by your demeanour, you have likely been diddled quite a bit. Have seen it numerous times (from Tesco to Big C, Carrefour (especially) Makro, Rim Ping, you name it) when staff have missed a discrepancy... I mean why would they notice? One doesn't need a calculator to know when something's up, just make a mental note and keep an eye on the scanner. Up to you if you'd rather stay switched off and lose out. Each to their own n all that. ;)

Thing is it often is a honest mistake.. just today i ordered 3 items..I knew what the price would have been and all of a sudden its 35 baht cheaper. I tell the guy that he made mistake (I don't care that i could have gotten something for free). Now so obviously people make mistakes. Back in the Netherlands people behind cash registers made mistakes too. I don't see it as a big scam to rip us off. In general I know what I have to pay and if the price that comes up is a lot different ill check the bill otherwise I don't bother. 

Can't say it happens a lot.. maybe I am just lucky. Though been shopping at tops more since they opened near my home. The big C is now only used when I am lazy and don't want to go out too far. But where ever I go I am always able to see what they scan on their monitor.. never seen that blocked.

45 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Yes heard it all before. Jesus Christ I go shopping to buy stuff not to try and catch someone our so I can quickly run home and get onto TV and tell the world. And what do you class as a newbie I know your dying to slot in just how long you've been here go on then.

Oh and this calculator job was muted by kitten kong I was just quoting her/him

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I watch the checkout video screen like a hawk, and go over receipts when I get back home to break out expenditures into expense categories which I track. I've never caught a single problem. Maybe once or twice, I thought I had caught a mistake where the shelf price did not match the checkout price, but when I went back and double-checked, it turned out another customer had re-shelved the item under the wrong shelf price label, or I had misunderstood what product the shelf label referred to.

I have to admit though that when you have to check the shelf label to make sure the product matches the price, the product description print is microscopically small and difficult to read, which may explain some of the mixups.