Are train tickets accepted as proof of leaving Thailand?

Are train tickets accepted as proof of leaving Thailand?

Even though Nong Khai and Aranyaprathet are border towns, you are still in Thailand. A ticket from Nong Khai to Thanalaeng (Lao) would constitute a real departure from Thailand, but as far as I researched, these cannot be bought online and not even at Hua Lampong railway station, a friend thinks only at Nong Khai railway station and not in advance.

The Thai embassy in Berlin says they accept train, bus or plane tickets as proof of leaving Thailand (but train tickets are sold only up to 60 days in advance, and how do you get that ticket to Germany when applying - unless you buy via an agent who sends ticket as email attachment); what does Thai immigration accept? And if I get a Thai friend to buy a ticket on my name with my passport number, will a printout of a picture of that ticket be accepted?

My dilemma is the following: when entering Thailand on tourist visa or without visa, I like to be prepared and have some proof of leaving Thailand (actually I wouldn't even get a tourist visa without this, but when entering without visa I have never been asked); but I don't want to commit on place and time where and when to go on visa run.

I would happily spend 48 Baht for a ticket Bangkok to Aranyaprathet or 20 Baht (?) for a ticket Nong Khai to Thanalaeng and then do not take that train. Whereas for buying a train ticket Bangkok to Malaysia, I can as well buy a flight to Phnom Penh or Saigon (that's where my last visa runs lead me).

There are companies that offer a plane ticket that is valid 24 or 48 hours, but at 9.99 USD for a 24 hour ticket on https://flyonward.com/en/ I rather buy a flight that I am going to use. Alternatively buy a fully refundable ticket, but these come at high cost and if something in the refunding process goes wrong, I lose money instead of saving money.

If someone knows of cheap bus tickets across the border, on sale up to 2 months in advance, and if possible with my name and passport number, let me know.

Edited by ChristianPFC

Train tickets can be purchased at any train station for any departure point or destination in the country up to 60 days in advance.

A embassy or consulate may accept train or bus tickets for proof of onward travel but the airlines normally will not accept them for proof of onward travel for a visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

Many people have misconception of the "onward/return tickets" idea.

The idea of a departure ticket from your destination is just in case a passenger is refused entry. Aviation regulation stipulates that if a passenger does not hold such a ticket and is refused entry - this passenger is under the responsibility of the airline that flew him/her to the destination, and on top of that the airline has to pay a fine of few thousands $$.

For this reason, a ticket out of the country must be an airplane ticket. Bus / train are of no use, as in order to use them you have to enter the destination country....

I don't know what the Thai embassies around the world demand for an application of tourist visa to be considered, but most countries ask for RESERVATION ONLY, and some countries even explain that having applied for a visa does not mean automatic approval. So if you buy a ticket and your visa is refused, your money is lost in most cases (for non refundable tickets) or you have to pay refund fees which might amount to few hundred $$. Whenever I apply for a visa to anywhere I bring a printout of a valid reservation for the intended travel dates. Never an actual issued ticket.

Just a heads up, if you do buy a fully refundable ticket with plans to cancel it

just make sure the ticket agent does not attach it to your arrival ticket.

Once the travel has started the remaining portion of the ticket is usually

no longer refundable. :coffee1:

I have never been asked for proof of onward travel by airline or immigration, but I want to be prepared for that case. When I applied for tourist visa it was compulsory.

On 29.9.2016 at 3:49 AM, LukKrueng said:

The idea of a departure ticket from your destination is just in case a passenger is refused entry. Aviation regulation...

But the departure ticket will be days or weeks from arrival, might even be a different airport in the country (I arrive from Europe at Suwannaphumi, but my visa runs are mostly from Don Mueang), and therefore of no use to the airline that took you to Thailand as a means to get you out of Thailand.

On 29.9.2016 at 4:42 AM, Ulic said:

Just a heads up, if you do buy a fully refundable ticket with plans to cancel it

just make sure the ticket agent does not attach it to your arrival ticket.

Once the travel has started the remaining portion of the ticket is usually

no longer refundable. :coffee1:

I do all my booking on the internet, no agent. I would do the bookings with different airlines so my real flight Germany-Thailand will have no connection to the flight I just want to use to satisfy airline/immigration requirements and want to get fully refunded once I am in Thailand (and choose a place and time for visa run closer to the actual visa run and not months before).

On 29.9.2016 at 5:21 AM, Bullie said:

If the possible loss of 9,99 US dollars over a reservation is keeping you from getting the visa I really think you should reconsider coming to Thailand in the first place. It's not the cheapest place in the world anymore, you know.

I knew someone is going to say that. I try to avoid all unnecessary expenses. 9.99 USD is for 24 hour, which is too little in my case (I travel about 20 hours door-to-door). 48 h costs more, and then I can already get a ticket for a flight in the area (e.g. Bangkok-Saigon for around 1000 THB). The money for the reservation would be gone AND I would have to buy a flight ticket for visa run.

I can live comfortable on very little money in Thailand, for 9.99 USD I could eat three days or stay in a hotel one night or travel an entire day.

Edited by ChristianPFC

On 29,September, 2016 at 2:49 AM, LukKrueng said:

The idea of a departure ticket from your destination is just in case a passenger is refused entry. Aviation regulation stipulates that if a passenger does not hold such a ticket and is refused entry - this passenger is under the responsibility of the airline that flew him/her to the destination, and on top of that the airline has to pay a fine of few thousands $$.

18 minutes ago, ChristianPFC said:

But the departure ticket will be days or weeks from arrival, might even be a different airport in the country (I arrive from Europe at Suwannaphumi, but my visa runs are mostly from Don Mueang), and therefore of no use to the airline.

It is not "Aviation regulation". It is entirely the choice of the airline transporting the person to Thailand, and the reason some insist on an onward ticket is because of their obligations as conveyors under Thailand's Immigration Act.

IMO if the passenger has a prepaid ticket the airline can use that towards the cost of immediately returning the passenger, or if the ticket is with another airline it is possible, with immigrations agreement, for them to pass off the problem to the other airline 

Edited by elviajero

without wanting to distract from the original post, but it appears to be totally illogical that a passport holder of a g7 country like germany has to provide proof of onward travel for a setv while an australian does not.

i am used to different rules for everything within thailand but this is extraordinary:

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/konsularwesen-visa-beglaubigungen/wie-man-ein-visum-beantragt

http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

4 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

without wanting to distract from the original post, but it appears to be totally illogical that a passport holder of a g7 country like germany has to provide proof of onward travel for a setv while an australian does not.

i am used to different rules for everything within thailand but this is extraordinary:

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/konsularwesen-visa-beglaubigungen/wie-man-ein-visum-beantragt

I don't see anything about visa exempt entries on either of the pages you posted.

Different embassies have different requirements. The MFA website mentions tickets.  See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Different embassies have different requirements. The MFA website mentions tickets.  See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

yes, i can see the travel document requirements mentioned on the link you provided. so, then, why is this not a requirement for australians? and i did apply for a setv in sudney last year and i did not have to provide ticket copies...

copied from the thai consulate, sydney, website, requirements for australians:

SINGLE ENTRY

Documents required

• A passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • A completed and signed visa application
  • A photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted)
  • A copy of passport or travel document personal detail page
  • A proof of residential address in Australia and it's photocopy such as Driving Licence, Recent Utility Bills (Electricity,Gas,Phone,Water,Net)OR A PHOTOCOPY
  • A photocopy of Electrocnic-Australian Visa if you are not an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN

Visa application processing fee
The visa application processing fee is AUD$ 45.

and these are the requirements for german passport holders applying in sydney:

Visa for Passport Holder of Germany

Tourist Visa Exemption 30 days

Tourist Visa

OVERVIEW

Tourist visa is for holiday purpose including Property-owning, Non-Educational (such as Boxing,Cooking,Scuba Diving,Yoga,Massage,Culture Learning,etc)

SINGLE ENTRY

Documents required

A passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

A completed and signed visa application

A photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted)

A copy of passport or travel document personal detail page

A proof of residential address in Australia and it's photocopy such as Driving Licence, Recent Utility Bills (Electricity,Gas,Phone,Water,Net)OR A PHOTOCOPY

A photocopy of Electrocnic-Australian Visa if you are not an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN

Visa application processing fee
The visa application processing fee is AUD$ 45.

and these conditions are different from the ones quoted on the german language website...

Edited by manfredtillmann
addition

20 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

Different Embassies having different requirements is not something unique to Thailand.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Different Embassies having different requirements is not something unique to Thailand.  

i do not think that applies for australlan and german embassies and their respective visa requirements.

but i am happy to learn otherwise.

2 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

i do not think that applies for australlan and german embassies and their respective visa requirements.

I can obtain, at no cost, an Australian one year multiple entry visa. I do not need a visa to visit Germany and I am not Germany. 

Can Thai people do the same?   Many people in many countries face difficulty with obtaining visas.

7 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

The Thai Embassies around the world don't all offer the same visas, and they can apply their own requirements for issuing a visa.

• Like 2

Just now, Fithman said:

I can obtain, at no cost, an Australian one year multiple entry visa. I do not need a visa to visit Germany and I am not Germany. 

Can Thai people do the same?   Many people in many countries face difficulty with obtaining visas.

that is not the issue.

from the documentation provided germans applying for a thai tourist visa in australia face different rules to germans applying in germany.

9 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

that is not the issue.

from the documentation provided germans applying for a thai tourist visa in australia face different rules to germans applying in germany.

How many German people would apply for a Thai visa in Australia? 

Seems a long way to go for a visa !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

see my post #17, please.

this makes no sense at all. shopping around comes to mind...

I agree that it makes no sense that applicants for a SETV in Germany should require an onward flight, but when applying in Australia they don't, but that is how it is. Different Embassies and different rules.

13 hours ago, Fithman said:

How many German people would apply for a Thai visa in Australia? 

Seems a long way to go for a visa !

due to the fact that dual citizenship is not a permitted option for german migrants to australia, i'd imagine a good few thousand holding german passports would apply for thailand visas in oz each year. my first wife was holding on to her german citizenship for more then 30 years before she got naturalized.

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

I agree that it makes no sense that applicants for a SETV in Germany should require an onward flight, but when applying in Australia they don't, but that is how it is. Different Embassies and different rules.

yes, you are right, i should know better by now.

cheers

• 1 month later...

On 29.9.2016 at 10:21 AM, Bullie said:

If the possible loss of 9,99 US dollars over a reservation is keeping you from getting the visa I really think you should reconsider coming to Thailand in the first place. It's not the cheapest place in the world anymore, you know.

How can one bother about a few Euro/Baht playing around with train tickets while a one way flight to KUL being 1090 or so :blink:

Hard to find words without post being deleted...

• 4 weeks later...

But at Mae Nam Railway station (near MRT Klong Toey, there is only freight passing), you can buy train tickets for trains departing from Hua Lampong, that destroys my theory that any train station only sells tickets to/from that station. And how about booking offices, where to they buy the tickets?

How can one bother about a few Euro/Baht playing around with train tickets

It's a matter of principle.

Edited by ChristianPFC