German tourists robbed on Bangkok to Chiang Mai bus

webfact

German tourists robbed on Bangkok to Chiang Mai bus

am1.jpg

Image: Thairath

CHIANG MAI: -- Two German tourists were robbed of 550 Euros taken from their bags on a Bangkok to Chiang Mai bus on Wednesday.

The tourists had bought the tickets cheap at Khao Sarn Road. Police said they had travelled on an unregistered service that was set up to rip them off, reported Thairath.

The tourists - Jurgen Lotter 26, and girlfriend Jemin Sippel, 26, bought their tickets on Tuesday.

They thought they would be taken to the bus station in Chiang Mai but were dumped at a petrol station in Saraphi instead. They noticed they had lost money from two bags but the driver an staff were not interested in their plight.

They reported to torist police who took them to the regular cops. The tourists remembered two young people getting on and sitting at the back of the bus.

Police said that the service was clearly operating a con whereby the people who got on went through the tourists' bags.

They said this has happened many times in the past but the practice had gone quiet recently.

They are studying CCTV and attempting to track down the people responsible.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-29

The tourists had bought the tickets cheap at Khao Sarn Road. Police said they had travelled on an unregistered service that was set up to rip them off, reported Thairath.

So, they basically know all the black sheep, but let them operate? Wasn't an Anti corruption thingy going on? Oh, not really?

And not having an eye on your money is a huge mistake.

Willkommen in Thailand. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like you are here for the first time and will notice that the bus is not registered???

Ohh, you have cheap ticket to ChiengMai? ok, please show your registration for transporting tourists to ChiengMai....

The blame is on the law enforcement, they should be sued for causing this.

Well, I think this guy had his mind on something other than maintaining personal security, complimented by some cold beers on Khao Sahn. It doesn't take a bank security officer to know that you keep your money down your pants or at least around your neck. Nevertheless, the behaviour of the two bit thieves should be offered complimentary accommodations at the Bangkok Hilton for a spell without amenities. It seems fruitless to report it to the police, but at least it brings bad light to the tour bus company (hopefully) to get not be so complacent when it comes to the well being of their passengers.

2 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

So, they basically know all the black sheep, but let them operate? Wasn't an Anti corruption thingy going on? Oh, not really?

And not having an eye on your money is a huge mistake.

37 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Yeah, like you are here for the first time and will notice that the bus is not registered???

Ohh, you have cheap ticket to ChiengMai? ok, please show your registration for transporting tourists to ChiengMai....

Many years ago the bus tickets sold in Khaosan Rd were for legitimate and registered bus companies. Sure, tourists got robbed, but mostly by other passengers, some of which would travel the buses to tourist destinations for the sole purpose of stealing from the tourists.

About 20 years ago a different bus service has started in Khasan Rd - chartered buses for tourists only. These buses - known to Thais a "bus 30" are not allowed to travel on regular routes and collect money from passengers. In order to keep the fare as low as possible the companies used were not the best companies, and many times in order to add to their income, the staff were stealing money and valuables from passenger (Thai people were not allowed to travel on these services). Those buses would usually avoid regular check points. In most cases in the past, passengers were offered 1st free night at a guest house in Chiang Mai, and the company that arranged the bus would get a commission for each guest. There was a period (not sure if that still going on) that passengers were "sold" to guest houses in Chiang Mai and the bus would drop the passengers at the guest house itself and it was not easy for the passengers to refuse staying at the place. Bus fares were down to about 50 THB ($2 at the time) for the ride of 700 Km....

How can passengers know? Well, there is a saying that if something is too cheap, it is suspicious... today, with the internet anyone can check normal bus services anywhere in Thailand for schedules as well as prices. So if you see that the normal fare is 500 THB up and you are offered a ticket for say 250-300, you should guess something is fishy. 

7 minutes ago, TerrylSky said:

Good grief; 500 baht? Of course it's good to report thieves if not hang them too, but I would write it off as a lesson in poor judgement , naivety, carelessness, and a lack of common judgment while travelling in a foreign country. Needless to say, it's a bad thing that lazy idiots have to steal baht from good hearted, fun filled farang, but gee.  Me, I would have swiftly wrote it off as a lesson and have learned from it. Lot's of police hours, sacrificed vacation time drinking beer at Thapae Gate, added stress, loss of face... ... ... ...

500 Euros, NOT Baht

27 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

All these tourists are learning about the real Thailand. And I noticed, almost all of them have said we'll come back again.

This really isnt the "real" Thailand .

Thefts rarely occur on legitimate buses .

This is just a rogue bus company and thus it cannot be regarded as the real Thailand 

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

How can anyone blame something that does not exist???

43 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

All these tourists are learning about the real Thailand. And I noticed, almost all of them have said we'll come back again.

Unfair content.  The real truth is thefts happen worldwide every second.  Most of us who have lived here for many decades actually love the real Thailand.  Most of us have no problems as we ask questions and have common sense!

Bashing Thailand will not help you or us.

Still goes on ALL BIG BUSES,  If you don't lock your bag, they put a guy down with the luggages, and goes through any bag he can access.

When he completes this, he gets off with the stolen goods, only to see the bus assistants on his way back.

But, yes it's stupid to leave valuables in luggage.

29 minutes ago, Americano555 said:

Still goes on ALL BIG BUSES,  If you don't lock your bag, they put a guy down with the luggages, and goes through any bag he can access.

When he completes this, he gets off with the stolen goods, only to see the bus assistants on his way back.

But, yes it's stupid to leave valuables in luggage.

Theft really doesnt happen on all big buses, its only the illegitimate buses from Koh San road where thefts occur, buses from bus stations are quite safe

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Theft really doesnt happen on all big buses, its only the illegitimate buses from Koh San road where thefts occur, buses from bus stations are quite safe

You must either be joking,or new here  :sad:

In the US you would be way better off to have your money in your baggage as the bus companies cannot stop these punks from getting on the bus but your bags are very secure. These thieves are good , they can take your money out of your underwear when your sleeping. I now know that in Thailand it is the bus companies and even the authorities that will clean you out. I didn't know that till after I got here, and by the way your money may not be safe on your person either. You don't hear of baggage being ripped off in the US, so yes I believe the countries where this happens are very much to blame. The 1st bus I rode on here, The driver took off and proceeded to reach down and grab a can of Leo beer and take a big slug. I was not impressed.

2 hours ago, TerrylSky said:

Well, I think this guy had his mind on something other than maintaining personal security, complimented by some cold beers on Khao Sahn. It doesn't take a bank security officer to know that you keep your money down your pants or at least around your neck. Nevertheless, the behaviour of the two bit thieves should be offered complimentary accommodations at the Bangkok Hilton for a spell without amenities. It seems fruitless to report it to the police, but at least it brings bad light to the tour bus company (hopefully) to get not be so complacent when it comes to the well being of their passengers.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

This really isnt the "real" Thailand .

Thefts rarely occur on legitimate buses .

This is just a rogue bus company and thus it cannot be regarded as the real Thailand 

A rogue anything does represent Thailand like it or not and denial doesn't make it go away.

You get what you pay for no matter what country your in. So lets not forget the two basic rules of commerce.

1. If something looks to good to be true, then it probably is.
  2. Buyer beware.

Thai people are no different to anyone else. Whatever they sell you they need to make a profit. So ask yourself the question. Is this to cheep and if you answer yes, keep shopping

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Many years ago the bus tickets sold in Khaosan Rd were for legitimate and registered bus companies. Sure, tourists got robbed, but mostly by other passengers, some of which would travel the buses to tourist destinations for the sole purpose of stealing from the tourists.

Many years ago, agents in Bangkok would sell "treks" to backpackers who they knew were not returning to Bangkok. On arrival, no-one in Chiang Mai would have even heard of them.

Naturally, most people never bothered wasting time and money to go and try and get their money back.

I doubt that one's changed either.

Fortunately, we now have social media, so these two can plaster it all over the Interwebs as to who ripped them off.

After they've left Thailand, obviously, otherwise they'll get nicked for saying nasty things about a bunch of thieving, low rent scum.

This happened to me once on an airport transfer bus from Surat Thani to the ferry pier to Ko Phangan. There were only two operators, the driver of the bus and the one collecting tickets. It was early (maybe 6am) and I was still half asleep . All passenger bags were taken from them as they got onboard and were left stored downstairs and all passengers directed to sit upstairs. 

After 10 mins I realised I'd left my wallet in my bag but thought they wouldn't steal anything as it would be so obvious it was the conductor. How wrong I was! 

He sneakily left 5000 baht and took 8000, which threw me as I checked my bag. This gave me enough doubt initially whilst I recounted my cash withdrawal and spending from the previous day, to allow them to drive away to the next ferry port to Ko Samui. 

A well practiced routine no doubt. Taught me a good lesson, so I thank them in a way :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, sanemax said:
4 hours ago, TerrylSky said:

Good grief; 500 baht? Of course it's good to report thieves if not hang them too, but I would write it off as a lesson in poor judgement , naivety, carelessness, and a lack of common judgment while travelling in a foreign country. Needless to say, it's a bad thing that lazy idiots have to steal baht from good hearted, fun filled farang, but gee.  Me, I would have swiftly wrote it off as a lesson and have learned from it. Lot's of police hours, sacrificed vacation time drinking beer at Thapae Gate, added stress, loss of face... ... ... ...

500 Euros, NOT Baht

Actually it said 550 Euros, Which is just over 21,000 Baht at today's rates.... You can buy a lot of beers and lady drinks for that

Archived