TM 28- I'm confused. Help please!

I always understood that it was not necessary to file a TM 28, and never done so before, over at least 20 years, but now posters are saying we have to. What is the real deal on this now- I understand things are changing?

When I returned to LOS on the current visit to Chiang Mai I took the TM 30 to immigration myself for my wife, but I did not fill in a TM 28, and nothing said by the immigration staff.

Since then, I am now visiting Pattaya for a few weeks, but not permanently. The TM 30 is the responsibility of the building owner ( hotel/ condo ), but as I am only here a short while do I have to fill in TM 28 at immigration?

I will be returning to my original address ( that I put down on entry to LOS and when I obtained my extension ). Do I have to fill in a TM 28 when returning to that address?

I have done as much research as possible with google, but have only ended up more confused than before.

Thanks for any clarification.

The only reports I've read about people attempting to file TM28 forms here in Chiangmai (note: other provinces may be quite different) is that the Immigration Officer handed the materials back and said they didn't want them.  You've filed the TM30 for your owner (your wife) and, based on what I've been told by Chiangmai Immigration, you need to refile that (actually, you just show up at the same office....the one behind the regular immigration office near the airport with your passport only and they'll just put another circular stamp on the same TM 30 Receipt of Notification you got before) each time you return from out of country.  A new TM30, of course, is supposed to be filed if you ever move your residence within country. I'd ignore the TM28 routine as it seems Chiangmai Immigration has no use for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CMBob said:

The only reports I've read about people attempting to file TM28 forms here in Chiangmai (note: other provinces may be quite different) is that the Immigration Officer handed the materials back and said they didn't want them.  You've filed the TM30 for your owner (your wife) and, based on what I've been told by Chiangmai Immigration, you need to refile that (actually, you just show up at the same office....the one behind the regular immigration office near the airport with your passport only and they'll just put another circular stamp on the same TM 30 Receipt of Notification you got before) each time you return from out of country.  A new TM30, of course, is supposed to be filed if you ever move your residence within country. I'd ignore the TM28 routine as it seems Chiangmai Immigration has no use for it.

That has been my experience as well.  

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not expect a TM28 other than if you are here on a  extension of stay and change your address.

One is not needed for short terms stays away from your home address.

I recently tried to move to Pattaya from Bangkok and file my retirement extension application and TM 28 at the same time. I was planning to reside in a Pattaya hotel and they provided a letter to Immigration. I was residing in the hotel at the time of the application. I had made a future long stay reservation confirmed with a credit card. I presented all supporting documentation. The Immigration Officer and his Supervisor approved everything, but denied my extension in Pattaya based on the fact their rule is the applicant must live in Pattaya six months before they will approve an extension of stay in Pattaya! They referred me back to Bangkok to apply where it was originally issued. They didn't even want to take the TM 28!  I've been living here going on 11 years.  Now they prevent you from moving unless you want to start all over with a non O!

My question;  is this even a written law or a new unwritten procedure?

15 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I recently tried to move to Pattaya from Bangkok and file my retirement extension application and TM 28 at the same time. I was planning to reside in a Pattaya hotel and they provided a letter to Immigration. I was residing in the hotel at the time of the application. I had made a future long stay reservation confirmed with a credit card. I presented all supporting documentation. The Immigration Officer and his Supervisor approved everything, but denied my extension in Pattaya based on the fact their rule is the applicant must live in Pattaya six months before they will approve an extension of stay in Pattaya! They referred me back to Bangkok to apply where it was originally issued. They didn't even want to take the TM 28!  I've been living here going on 11 years.  Now they prevent you from moving unless you want to start all over with a non O!

My question;  is this even a written law or a new unwritten procedure?

The is no requirement for you live where you are applying for the extension for any amount of time. They were making it up as an excuse not to accept your application.

I suspect that part of problem was because you were staying in hotel. They may of thought you you were trying to circumvent the rule that you must apply for the extension where you are living.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

When we moved to KK took wife and Tm30 to immigration I also took tm28. Officer looked at both ripped up tm 28 laughed and said not need. 

How do you go with your 90 day reporting if your registered address is not KK. Phitsanulok accepted my TM28 when I moved here.

Did them on line no problem tm 30 was registered so they knew where I lived and registered my address with tm 30. I presume. 

Won't be doing anymore 90 days moving to non o multi entry based on marriage  this year. Might have to pop into immigration a couple of times to extend  for 60 days but plan is to be going out of country every 90 days for a few days see a bit of other countries around. 

Thank you for all replies. I was getting freaked out with the report of farangs being presented with the "new" form to fill in, and the guy in Pattaya fined 4,000 for not living where he is registered.

Theoretically then, if the plod turned up in the Pattaya condo where I'm staying for one month, but I hadn't done a TM 28, they might fine me as my registered address in in C M. Hopefully, that is a theory that will never be tested.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not expect a TM28 other than if you are here on a  extension of stay and change your address.

One is not needed for short terms stays away from your home address.

this is completely depending on the Immigration office that is looking after you.a that time and moment where you are staying.

The TM28 is official needed when you are staying longer in another province for more than 24 hours

officially you have to use the TM28 form to report your address of where you stay, as mentioned on the form

The TM 30 is for the landlord and others like the hotel.

A week ago I was confronted with a new form provided to me by the immigration officer. When this form is filled out the TM 30 and TM 28 and signed by me and the landlord, I can do the report of the TM 28 and TM 30 and the landlord has not to do the TM 30, more privacy ;-).

So can bring in the TM 30 and TM 28 at the same time.

can confirm that they check the address information you provide on each form to the know as well information they got from your trips and because travel and stay in hotels and they try to catch on the more than 24 hrs stay in another province.

when you search on it you will find more people who have tm 28 and tm 30 stories as well work permit  stories of employer and work at other location (temporary).

So be wise and fill out the TM 28 bring it to the nearest police office and keep the proof.

also keep the shop receipt and the gas filling receipts with licence plate number for future references.

Edited by Autonuaq

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for all replies. I was getting freaked out with the report of farangs being presented with the "new" form to fill in, and the guy in Pattaya fined 4,000 for not living where he is registered.

Theoretically then, if the plod turned up in the Pattaya condo where I'm staying for one month, but I hadn't done a TM 28, they might fine me as my registered address in in C M. Hopefully, that is a theory that will never be tested.

The fine was about the TM-30, not the TM-28.

While, technically, the TM-28 is a requirement any time you spend 24 hours or longer in a different province, this totally impractical requirement is not really enforced. They usually only want it when you are on an extension of stay and need to deal with your new immigration office.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

The fine was about the TM-30, not the TM-28.

While, technically, the TM-28 is a requirement any time you spend 24 hours or longer in a different province, this totally impractical requirement is not really enforced. They usually only want it when you are on an extension of stay and need to deal with your new immigration office.

How could it be about the TM 30 when It's not the residents job to submit it? Unless he owned the property, the only person being fined would be the owner, and that's been reported as a 1600 baht fine, not a 4,000 baht fine.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How could it be about the TM 30 when It's not the residents job to submit it? Unless he owned the property, the only person being fined would be the owner, and that's been reported as a 1600 baht fine, not a 4,000 baht fine.

What you write is entirely logical, and it (indeed)  should not be the resident's job to submit the TM-30. Unfortunately, some immigration officials do not want the job of tracking down the one who should be submitting the TM-30, and applying the fine. They basically say to the resident: "if you want an extension, you get the TM-30, and pay us the fine that should be assessed against the householder." Incidentally, the fine is usually only 800 baht. He probably really annoyed the immigration official who decided to flex his muscles.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, keithpa said:

Bloody confusing. Im going to Phuket for about 3 weeks, i live in Pattaya. Do I have forms to fill out and report to immigration  in Phuket???

No hotel will do tm30 in Phuket.

On return to pattaya you might have to do tm30 sure i read on here they require it could be wrong someone will let you know

Edited by jeab1980

7 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No hotel will do tm30 in Phuket.

On return to pattaya you might have to do tm30 sure i read on here they require it could be wrong someone will let you know

Whether or not Phuket hotels do the TM-30, I would go to Pattaya (Jomtien) immigration upon returning, show them the hotel-receipts and report your return.  That will avoid any problems in the future. 

35 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Whether or not Phuket hotels do the TM-30, I would go to Pattaya (Jomtien) immigration upon returning, show them the hotel-receipts and report your return.  That will avoid any problems in the future. 

Pattaya wont be interesyed in hotel recipts from phuket. Only a new TM30 thats if they want one at all for a holiday in country.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Pattaya wont be interesyed in hotel recipts from phuket. Only a new TM30 thats if they want one at all for a holiday in country.

I was thinking in terms of proving you reported within 24 hours of your return.  I have no idea if they would question this - but how else could they know if you had reported by the deadline?

19 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Just a thought, Pattaya Immigration wont know Ive been away from Pattaya.

The TM-30 system is nationwide.  Others (at Jomtien) reported having their full TM-30 history shown to them, and each time they were reported by some guesthouse or hotel away, and not reporting upon return, was considered a violation which could be fined separately.  In the case I recall, the foreigner decided the 5000 Baht fee was more reasonable than a long list of fines, and paid that amount.

Edited by JackThompson

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I was thinking in terms of proving you reported within 24 hours of your return.  I have no idea if they would question this - but how else could they know if you had reported by the deadline?

The TM-30 system is nationwide.  Others (at Jomtien) reported having their full TM-30 history shown to them, and each time they were reported by some guesthouse or hotel away, and not reporting upon return, was considered a violation which could be fined separately.  In the case I recall, the foreigner decided the 5000 Baht fee was more reasonable than a long list of fines, and paid that amount.

So theres your answer a new TM 30 when you return to Pattaya is required. Pain in the backside these immigration offices really cant see any point to having to report everytime you go on holiday. Thats Pattaya for you

Edited by jeab1980
  • Thanks 1

Where are these forms available? Do they cost anything? Are they in English? Whenever I have wanted to spend a couple of days in Pattaya I have gone there by bus and come back without a hassle. And by the way, why the hell is this required? 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
Addition

25 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Where are these forms available? Do they cost anything? Are they in English? Whenever I have wanted to spend a couple of days in Pattaya I have gone there by bus and come back without a hassle. And by the way, why the hell is this required?

You don't need to worry about them until your next trip to here.

You can get a TM30 form at an immigration office. They are free and are also available for download. They are in Thai and English.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't need to worry about them until your next trip to here.

You can get a TM30 form at an immigration office. They are free and are also available for download. They are in Thai and English.

Got it! But how will they catch me for not having it. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Got it! But how will they catch me for not having it. 

If you need anything from immigration, and there is not a TM-30 on-file from where you are living, they can require a fine be paid before any other business is conducted.  It is debatable, in some cases, if it is the responsibility of you or your landlord, but it is you who needs the service, so it is usually you who ends up paying the fine. 

If you never go to an Immigration office, there is no enforcement.  They do not check this when you leave the country.

Some offices (Bangkok's Chang Wattana, for example) don't require it.  Others have different rules for when you need to report.  If you will ever need an extension, to file 90-day reports, etc, then you should check with your local immigration-office when you arrive.

• 1 year later...
52 minutes ago, crazyfalang said:

So If i live somewhere in Thailand and have my Retirement Visa and say i want to go to Pattaya for 2 weeks will i need to fill out a TM28 ???

As stated earlier by UbonJoe, for short intra-country trips away from your "registered" residence, there is no enforcement for TM.28 reporting -- it only applies for those planning some formal action at an immigration office in the new location.

The more common question is whether a new TM.30 must be filed by the owner/householder of your usual, "registered" residence after you have stayed one or more nights at another location.  

The practical answer is that if you stay in lodgings like a hotel or guest house that asks to copy or to see your passport and its TM.6 form (and its unique 7-digit number in format AA#####) stapled in its pages, they  are very likely to report your presence that night or next morning, probably online, to Immigration.  Of course, I do not think they report your date of departure from the lodging.  In any case, you had better immediately get your registered-residence owner/householder to file a report within 24 hours of your return home.

However, if your stay of a day, a week, or longer elsewhere in Thailand from your registered residence, such as at a friend's house, or camping or rafting, or otherwise, during which no one asks or knows your passport and TM.6 numbers, and you are sure never to be reported officially at any such location(s), then -- ignoring the legalities -- you need not get your residence owner/householder to make a TM.30 report upon your return home.

In theory, if Immigration were to check with a hotel at which you stayed to learn your departure date, and you stayed elsewhere for a number of nights after that date, and before a TM.30 is filed upon your return home, the time gap could theoretically incur a fine.  But I doubt this has ever happened.

UbonJoe, what say you? 

• 4 months later...