TM 28- I'm confused. Help please!

1 minute ago, JCP108 said:

I am arriving in BKK after getting a one-year, multi-entry, non-immigrant visa to visit my Thai wife. When I arrive at her place, do I have to file a TM28 within 24 hours?

You have your answer in your current thread. TM28 not required. 

Also with your delicate situation skip the tm30 also. 

If attending immigration for some reason you can deal with tm30 just prior.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread to ask about a couple of quotes from @ubonjoe...

So you don't need to do one when changing residence in Thailand, e.g.: between province and capital, because...

On 9/29/2016 at 7:30 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not expect a TM28 other than if you are here on a  extension of stay and change your address.

Then... you don't actually have to change address and do a TM30 to apply for a Non-Imm O (family) Visa extension because...

On 9/29/2016 at 10:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

The is no requirement for you live where you are applying for the extension for any amount of time. They were making it up as an excuse not to accept your application.

...so if I currently reside in a province, but the province won't process my visa extension, because they won't accept some part of the evidence [I don't want to go into that, because it's not the focus of this question].

Officials in Chaengwattana, seem happy to process my application, and agreed with me about what I was presenting, but I'm not sure if they said I should do it in the province, or move to Bangkok to do it at CW.

So, my question is simple... the second quote... do I actually need to change my address to do this?

...and if so, would that only in practice mean taking a signed photocopy of the Thai landowner's tabian barn (blue book) and signed photocopy of their ID card, and filling in some form in CW at the same time as submitting a Non-Imm O (family) visa extension? [nobody wants to yo-yo back and forth to CW].

I appreciate there is a website, but if I'm going to physically be at CW anyway to apply for an extension, it seems one may as well do it there in meatspace.

6 minutes ago, Jare said:

Officials in Chaengwattana, seem happy to process my application, and agreed with me about what I was presenting, but I'm not sure if they said I should do it in the province, or move to Bangkok to do it at CW.

You would have to move to Bangkok to apply at CW.

You would need proof of residence there such as a rental agreement with signed copies of their house book registry and ID card.

A TM30 would be needed to report your arrival at the residence.

You would have to stay in Bangkok for at least month to complete the application since they will would be doing a home visit during the 30 day under consideration period.

What is it your local office wants that CW has said is not needed.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to move to Bangkok to apply at CW.

You would need proof of residence there such as a rental agreement with signed copies of their house book registry and ID card.

A TM30 would be needed to report your arrival at the residence.

You would have to stay in Bangkok for at least month to complete the application since they will would be doing a home visit during the 30 day under consideration period.

What is it your local office wants that CW has said is not needed.

The local one insists on a bank statement of regular deposits, which I know is what is usually said, but it's not actually specified in the written regulations in Thai, at least none that I've seen.

The back office immigration officer at Chaengwatthana says I only need a letter from overseas employer, and he pointed to the law/regulations in Thai on his desk. He specified the format of the letter to me.

He was very clear and certain about it. He corrected the front desk girls in yellow polo-neck shirts, when they were challenged, and he agreed with what I said, so I want to obviously save a lot of time and money getting another ME Non-Imm O Visa, and just get the extension.

I won't be there, probably, I will be out of the country working.

So, it sounds like even if the guy agrees and puts it through, it's pointless if I'm not around, because the home visit won't coincide... I thought they gave you some kind of chit whilst you wait for if you need to leave the country in the intervening period?

...I may as well go to Savannakhet anyway, or just wait to come back, do a tourist visa, TV extension, then go to Savannakhet for another ME Non-Imm O visa.

Edited by Jare
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Jare said:

The local one insists on a bank statement of regular deposits, which I know is what is usually said, but it's not actually specified in the written regulations in Thai, at least none that I've seen.

The only proof of income you can use to apply for the extension is 12 months of transfers into the country unless you can still get proof of income from your embassy.

The requirements are shown in this order. Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income. And  Amendment to police order 138/2557 Thai text

14 minutes ago, Jare said:

The back office immigration officer at Chaengwatthana says I only need a letter from overseas employer, and he pointed to the law/regulations in Thai on his desk. He specified the format of the letter to me.

That could only be used to prove the source of your income.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only proof of income you can use to apply for the extension is 12 months of transfers into the country unless you can still get proof of income from your embassy.

The requirements are shown in this order. Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income. And  Amendment to police order 138/2557 Thai text

That could only be used to prove the source of your income.

That's not what the immigration inspector told us, and we really did ask, and have bored people to death double checking, because I appreciate it is at odds with what many people say. Moreover, everyone I asked at CW seemed very familiar with the fact that US, UK, and Aus Embassies don't issue those letters now. I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but if they let me do it, then I'll report back (provided I'm not banned for no good reason).

We showed those two documents in both the province and in Chaengwattana to the people mentioned earlier. The pleasant lady at the province was sympathetic, and agreed that it only applied to pensioners, but stated that despite that, it what she had to do. She agreed it's badly-written, but they interpet that you (as a pensioner) prove the source, and backdated on average in a Thai bank (and they just apply it to non-pensioners anyway); but the man in Chaengwattana completely contradicted her (apart from agreeing it's badly-written); and we had decent long chats with both of them.

Edited by Jare
  • Confused 1

Just to clarify, I am not trying to contradict or mislead or anything like that, I'm just saying honestly what my experience is. If it's different from everyone elses, I can't speculate as to why, what else can I say?!