Tricks of the trade: Why tourists might pay 2,540 baht for a taxi ride in Bangkok!

webfact

Tricks of the trade: Why tourists might pay 2,540 baht for a taxi ride in Bangkok!

pm2.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Four Chinese tourists were charged 2,540 baht for a ride from the airport to their downtown Bangkok hotel yesterday.

But the seemingly random and exorbitant figure - perhaps five times what it should be - is a ruse used by rogue taxi drivers to con unsuspecting tourists.

A taxi driver who heard about the case told sanook.com that 2540 is a code used by the Land Transport department when checking the proper function of the meter in taxis.

Taxi drivers just have to press a button and the code comes up on the screen as if it was the actual fare. The driver said this was used to con people.

It appears to be common knowledge among taxi drivers.

But the staff at the Tara Place Hotel in Sam Sen Road near the river smelt an obvious rogue taxi rat. They contacted the Land Transport Department with the number and registration detains of the cab in question.

He will have some explaining to do.

No mention was made in the report if the tourists forked out the 2,540 baht demanded. The fare from Suvarnabhumi to that area of town would likely be around 500 - 600 baht.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-29

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one recently - my own fault for doing my usual find-a-cab on the 4th floor because I had too much baggage. So in the basement I pressed the button and a ticket was dispensed with the lane number. I had one of those big Toyota Innova vans or whatever they're called. Really pleasant ride to my condo in Sukhumvit..fare was correct at around Bht280 on the meter and he was a nice guy, yakking about the cool customers he meets..so I gave him Bht350. He said 'oh no....because this is a big cab you must pay Bht600.' I said 'ok..moment.'. Removed my baggage and trundled it into the lobby and ignored his shouting and ranting about 'kee-nok farangs'. 

My last arrival last weekend...when I was in the baggage hall - again with a lot of baggage, I called for a Grab Limo who picked me up on the 4th floor. So much easier. 

Got one of those too, his meter was very very fast.

Another taxi explained to me that he has 3 speed on his meter and can activate it by pushing a simple button. 

He told me if he feels i'm very rich and not living here he would push the high speed button, but because I looked "cool" he didn't push any of those buttons.

any and everything to make that extra Baht.  the land transport authority should make it mandatory to indicate possible taxi fares to major centres in city. i know it is impossible to list out all the destinations but any visitor with some sense should be able to make a comparative analysis.

the efforts of the hotel staff need a special mention to  keep matters clean.

15 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

Thanks for that most important piece of information.

1 minute ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Another taxi explained to me that he has 3 speed on his meter and can activate it by pushing a simple button. 

He told me if he feels i'm very rich and not living here he would push the high speed button, but because I looked "cool" he didn't push any of those buttons.

That statement would sure get me boiling. 

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Don't give him the chance. Get him behind bars where he belongs.

Behind bars!! Really? A bit harsh in my view. Yes a slap on the wrist and a final warning if he does it again he loses his license,,, and a full apology to the tourists.

Don't think he belongs behind bars just yet.

I never have had an issue getting a cab from the airport and having him use the meter. I wish I could see a video of these endless stories of trouble at Swampy with taxi drivers. For some reason I think it has to do with so many long term farang here not able to get around in a cab using only Thai ( and the airport might be one of those places that you are not attached with your umbilical cord to your wife, GF or Mia noi)  If some of you spent as much time learning some Thai that you do on line complaining you may have a lot less to whine about.  Most newbies I know haven't even had a problem. Do you approach them as Mr grumpy grumps?  Maybe that is it. Remember this is los. 

uber is still alive and well. prices are fair, service is quite good.  also when uber drivers refuse and or try to refuse fares they must take uber will deactivate their account, plain and simple. its also quite unlikely an uber driver will allow another person to drive unless they are high reliability since if they screw up the account will be suspended.

uber is adding needed pressure to make regular taxi drivers respect the rules and use the meter and not refuse fares they stop for.

Think, with the new Public Rank system should be able to get approx. price for trip from airport to wherever you're going. 

Same as others not had problem in over 6 yrs, meter fare + 50 b flag fall, though, for one time tourists not aware of costs.

Sure, it happens in other cities, BKK not alone. 

51 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

A bit like the taxis in Beijing during the Olympics when taxis had their meter rigged to the horn and every time they tooted the meter flicked over in quantum jumps. Whoops, perhaps I should not have said that!

3 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

I had one recently - my own fault for doing my usual find-a-cab on the 4th floor because I had too much baggage. So in the basement I pressed the button and a ticket was dispensed with the lane number. I had one of those big Toyota Innova vans or whatever they're called. Really pleasant ride to my condo in Sukhumvit..fare was correct at around Bht280 on the meter and he was a nice guy, yakking about the cool customers he meets..so I gave him Bht350. He said 'oh no....because this is a big cab you must pay Bht600.' I said 'ok..moment.'. Removed my baggage and trundled it into the lobby and ignored his shouting and ranting about 'kee-nok farangs'. 

My last arrival last weekend...when I was in the baggage hall - again with a lot of baggage, I called for a Grab Limo who picked me up on the 4th floor. So much easier. 

what did the grab cost you

3 hours ago, bangkapi said:

Transcription of the number is incorrect in the OP headline...

Should be 2540, not 2450.

Well, the kind-hearted taxi driver let them off ThB 1000.

And people complain...

several days ago, a couple of local travelers in the philippines hailed a cab from the airport. the passengers sensed something was wrong because the cabbie had a co-driver. the meter was on, so they thought little of it. as they neared their destination, what should be a $10 (tops) fare, the "operators" told the passengers to fork out about $70. they told the cabbies they didn't have enough money so they had to stop at an ATM near their destination. with their wits about them, they told the men the best place to pull over to withdraw the money to pay them. little did the scammers know that the passengers led them near a police outpost. when they saw the passengers walking back with a police officer, the scammers zoomed off like the vermin they are.

awareness is key!

Archived