Admission to the “White Temple” of Chiang Rai is no more free..for foreign visitors

webfact

2 hours ago, rijb said:

My wife and I met the artist/owner earlier this year, in HomePro.  He bought 5 carts full of stuff, for repairs to the temple.

He talked about damages made by visitors.  And he was disgusted by what the Chinese do in the bathrooms.

The fee is for maintenance, not for sticking it to the foreigner.

Exactly. We also have met the owner who is a distinguished artist in his own right and who makes a more than comfortable living from his paintings, he's a really nice guy. Agreed also that the entrance fee is solely for maintenance of the site which is not small and comprises several buildings and many staff.

I do not post on here often. This time I will agree with Village Farang, as I was there on Friday as seen monks walking around the Temple. I also seen Chinese visitors taking pebbles from the temple grounds which I told them they could not do this and told them to stop. Some Thai onlookers were amazed  that a Farang would do this . I been there many times taking friends from overseas to see this great tourist attraction. About the money flowing like water , I find this hard to believe . To pay 50 baht to see this beautiful temple is nothing.

Picture of monks at the White Temple. I have been to this temple 3 times and always spent more than 50 Baht each time, but not any more. If I ever go again I will not buy food there. I will bring it with me. No more donations will I give and will certainly not buy any other merchandise. Just another example of the 2 price system ( farang pay Thai get free). Just show you have the will power to avoid their rip offs. If only Rama V King Chulalongkorn could be re-incarnated, as he knew how to deal with the corruption against foreigners.

DSCF1255.JPG

On 30/09/2016 at 8:02 AM, kevvy said:

I do not post on here often. This time I will agree with Village Farang, as I was there on Friday as seen monks walking around the Temple. I also seen Chinese visitors taking pebbles from the temple grounds which I told them they could not do this and told them to stop. Some Thai onlookers were amazed  that a Farang would do this . I been there many times taking friends from overseas to see this great tourist attraction. About the money flowing like water , I find this hard to believe . To pay 50 baht to see this beautiful temple is nothing.

If 50 Baht is nothing let the Thais also pay it. One national park I know charges Thais and farangs 100 Baht, so I do not object to it. I willingly pay if I know I am being treated fair.

On 9/30/2016 at 1:30 AM, Torrens54 said:

Might find there will also be a dramatic drop in what the "Filthy Ferang" spend on Trinkets 

You placed "Felang" in quotation marks'

Who was you quoting ?

Who said "Filthy felang " ?

If you are too cheap to pay 50 baht to see a work of art, just drive on by. I have been there several times and certainly don't mind contributing such a pittance for the upkeep.

On 10/9/2016 at 0:25 PM, Gary A said:

If you are too cheap to pay 50 baht to see a work of art, just drive on by. I have been there several times and certainly don't mind contributing such a pittance for the upkeep.

Then let the Thais pay too.

Archived