Chinese tourist survey: Thailand is number one for us - but 3% say they are never coming back

webfact

Chinese tourist survey: Thailand is number one for us - but 3% say they are never coming back

pm3.JPEG

Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- A tourism survey of Chinese visitors conducted at Bangkok's main airports over the last month painted a generally rosy picture of attitudes towards Thailand.

But the majority of respondents were not sure they would come back and a small percentage said they never would.

The survey was conducted by Kasikorn who asked questions to 400 tour groups between August 15 and September 15, reported Manager Online.

Some 78.1 per cent of first time visitors named Thailand as the number one tourist destination in Asia. Attractions in order of preference put natural beauty at the top of the list followed by entertainment, sports, Thai food and shopping in that order.

Their number one favorite place to visit was Bangkok followed by Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. It was noted that Krabi and Samui are on the rise with direct flights available to the south from the Chinese mainland.

The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew was the top place to visit.

But while the survey painted a good picture for the nation's tourism with the Chinese there were some less than ideal figures.

Some 41.1 per cent of respondents said they would definitely come back to the kingdom while 56% said they were not sure about that.

And nearly 3% said they wouldn't come back again.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-30

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cooked said:

What percentage of tourists world wide take holidays in the same place twice, assuming they can afford to take holidays abroad every year?

Interesting question, many people from Europe vacation year after year in Spain. I think you would have to compare it like somebody from the USA going to Florida every winter. Sure Thailand is foreign but it is in Asia. I get what you are saying but don't think it is that simple. 

Thailand needs to hire a Chinese director and do another movie like "Lost in Thailand"   It did for Chinese tourism what "The Beach" did for the white guy numbers.

But the effects wear off...  It's like putting on deodorant.  Ya gotta repeat when things -like tourist numbers- start stinking again.

13 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Interesting reasons why the Chinese love LoS and when it comes to shopping is that as organized by their tour company or unaccompanied at 7-11

I run into independent Chinese tourists all the time.  The only way I know they're Chinese is because they're speaking Mandarin.  Otherwise, they could be mistaken for  Thai, Korean, Japanese, Singaporean, etc.

They're kind of like Texans in that regard.  Most of us are okay people.  But when you do run into a buttwad from Texas, you will absolutely know he's a Texan.

41% saying they would return is a low number. When tourists really enjoy a holiday, they would answer that they would come back, even they don't have plans to come back. For instance, this Irish survey indicated indicates 77% would come return.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/survey-shows-tourists-happy-with-ireland-and-would-return-34365850.html

And is this survey, 91% said they would return to Korea:

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/english/features/focus/12482-great-satisfaction-korea-satisfies-high-percentage-foreign-tourists

Of course all surveys need to be taken with a grain of salt...

Tourism in Thailand has been growing by tapping new markets, while losing share of existing markets. After China, what is left?

Chinese bags are packed

and ready to go

sitting there outside the door

everyone is saying "goodbye"

TAT kisses them and smiles at them

tells them that it waits for them

holds them like it won't ever let them go...

'cause they're leaving on a jet plane

and 3 percent won't be back again:

"Oh Lee, Wong, Ching and Chong,

I hate to see you go..."

"...A tourism survey of Chinese visitors conducted at Bangkok's main airports over the last month painted a generally rosy picture of attitudes towards Thailand..."

Continuing with the rose analogy - only 3% of those interviewed were pricks.

rose.jpg

With YTD arrival figures of around 6.6 million, 3% means that almost 200,000 of them ain't coming back! That's more than the total number of arrivals from Sweden in 2015! (Dept. of Tourism figures - http://www.tourism.go.th/home/listcontent/11/221/276)

It's also around 1,000 less aircraft needed, and about 4,000 less tour buses on the roads.

3 hours ago, nev said:

Why not state the positive that 41% will be coming back and only 3% are not coming back.

Actually 'the positive' is that 3% are never coming back. If only it was more ...

Sorry if my comment sounds brutal, but I have yet to meet Chinese tourists who radiate warmth, pleasantness, courtesy and an open mind. What I see is a bunch of boorish, loud, selfish, pretentious and inconsiderate invaders, and to see them 'eat' in a restaurant borders on the horror show.

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Chinese bags are packed

and ready to go

sitting there outside the door

everyone is saying "goodbye"

TAT kisses them and smiles at them

tells them that it waits for them

holds them like it won't ever let them go...

'cause they're leaving on a jet plane

and 3 percent won't be back again:

"Oh Lee, Wong, Ching and Chong,

I hate to see you go..."

Do you do children's parties? :guitar:

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I run into independent Chinese tourists all the time.  The only way I know they're Chinese is because they're speaking Mandarin.  Otherwise, they could be mistaken for  Thai, Korean, Japanese, Singaporean, etc.

Mistake a chinese for a japanese?? :shock1:

4 hours ago, cooked said:

What percentage of tourists world wide take holidays in the same place twice, assuming they can afford to take holidays abroad every year?

Quite a lot visit the same place every year , ever hear of time shares? The one reason I never bought into them was I did not want to go to the same area every year even though they said you could swap areas with other time share members it was never guaranteed. Also many people in Mass  USA go to Cape Cod every year have homes or time shares there.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

They're kind of like Texans in that regard.  Most of us are okay people.  But when you do run into a buttwad from Texas, you will absolutely know he's a Texan.

Not a fool proof system I am afraid

Many people of Chinese descent who speak Mandarin have never been anywhere near China proper

I will admit you have a fairly good chance of being correct though as the population is rather large 55555

My wife speaks Mandarin / Cantonese and her own dialect Teo Chew, the nearest she has been to China is Hanoi

She tells me its easy to tell a mainlander from anybody else when Mandarin is being spoken

Same same but different I have to take her word for that

5 hours ago, nev said:

Why not state the positive that 41% will be coming back and only 3% are not coming back.

56% does not know if they ever come back.... They should investigate why in total 59% has issues with coming back at all. Maybe because they got scammed or got cheated in the places like Pattaya or Phuket. The land of smiles has some work todo here !

4 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Not a fool proof system I am afraid

Not foolproof when I'm on my own, but close to 100% when the Chinese GF is with me.  She'll even tell me what city area they're from by their dialect and what they're talking about.

Point being that not all Chinese tourists fit the stereotype.  And we don't even notice the many that don't.   She's embarrassed by the many that do, as I'm sure a lot of us are embarrassed by the buttwads that make us oh so proud to be from ____________ (fill in the blank)

Archived