thai id card for foreigners

19 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

The pink card;

can you do anything you otherwise would need your passport to do?

(most airlines accept any photo-id re domestic flights, eg Driv Lic)

send Christmas cards at a Thailand Post office?

renew extension of stay?

hand in 90-day report?

obtain multiple re-entry permit?

everything related to Hospitals?

get a Driv Lic. or renew an old one?

register you and your sim card with your GSM operator?

bank operations? transfer money, deposit/withdraw money, opening account?

Getting your ATM card back after having been eaten by an ATM?

1. Yes

2.yes

3.no

4.no

5.no

6. Yes

7.yes

8.yes

9.yes

10.yes

11.yes

5 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

1. Yes

2.yes

3.no

4.no

5.no

6. Yes

7.yes

8.yes

9.yes

10.yes

11.yes

right, good, appears to be a useful piece of plastic then (along with the yellow tabien) several things would be easier

a Pity they are so hard to come by here and there

if I remember correctly I now have my passport number printed on my two Driv LIc

would have expected they did the same with pink ID card, put your passport number on it, but no?

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

right, good, appears to be a useful piece of plastic then (along with the yellow tabien) several things would be easier

a Pity they are so hard to come by here and there

if I remember correctly I now have my passport number printed on my two Driv LIc

would have expected they did the same with pink ID card, put your passport number on it, but no?

No you get your Thai number from yellow book on ID and now have that on my D/L's

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Was that a two year or five year license?

Five year renewel . YELLOW BOOK /ID card for proof of address  and ID copy of pasport showing non o visa page.

Edited by jeab1980

38 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I showed them the yellow book they asked if i had ID card I produced it they took a copy of both end of.

I like this pink plastic

Small lightweight easy to always carry around

(With passport number on it the usage might be enhanced I think)

Considering the hassle to get a CoR, where I live, this yellow book would have been great

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

In Thailand, the obligatory ID card comes first and for those who subsequently opt to get a passport this will be linked to the ID card, as is the case with other government IDs such as the tax ID and a person's entry as resident in a house registration book.

The ID card number is for life, the passport number is for a limited  period.

P.S. Correction: the entry as resident in a house registration book comes first, followed by the obligatory ID card.

Edited by Maestro
added postscript

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

In Thailand, the obligatory ID card comes first and for those who subsequently opt to get a passport this will be linked to the ID card, as is the case with other government IDs such as the tax ID and a person's entry as resident in a house registration book.

The ID card number is for life, the passport number is for a limited  period.

P.S. Correction: the entry as resident in a house registration book comes first, followed by the obligatory ID card.

Appreciate that but foreigners have the onus of documenting legal presence in LoS

Passport number on the pink card would serve as a pointer into the Imm database

Would require updated plastic when passport is changed though

Immigration will always require your Passport as proof of ID.

Your passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying your identity and citizenship, and entitling you to international travel under it's protection to and from foreign Countries.Those details are entered on Immigrations database when you enter Thailand.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is a local civilian ID card, that will only be accepted within Thailand's borders..

It bares a local civilian registration number and is in Thai language only.

13 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

That's because you used you passport as your form of ID when applying for your first licence.

Once you have a Thai civilian registration number, you can request the DLT to change the form of ID by presenting your TB and ID card.

Further DL's will be issued detailing your Thai civilian registration number, and only your TB and ID card need to be presented, in just the same manner Thais do.

The same applies for other local administrative procedures, with the exclusion of Immigration.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Well like them or not and i think that vote is coming down on the like side.

I can personaly see and have seen first hand the benifits of both yellow book and ID card.

Those of you who want to continually criticise and  try and mock those of us who have/want both why not start your own "we hate yellow book and ID card thread.

As stated before in the millions of threads about them. They are an Aid to smoothing the way here. Yes theres a lot more the ID card could be used for and im sure in time it will be. I belive immigration are at best luke warm about them is simply as they have no control of them or who can get them. Maybe they see the Amphoes as a threat who knows.

well, mine cost 60 baht and a few hours of my time; so why not ? i will say that without my thai wife present, i might have had some rough edges; there were some issues that my own thai didnt understand; all worked out ok

I went into AIS (Telewiz) yesterday to buy a new phone. They wanted some ID for the purchase and guarantee. I used my pink ID with no problem.

I have had a postpaid monthly account with AIS for thirteen years. When I applied, the staff used my passport as my ID number for the account.

It became a bit of a pain in the proverbial, as when I logged into my account online, I needed to use the passport number for verification, even though that one expired years ago. A few  months ago I got AIS to change my ID to the pink card, as that's a number for life.

I wish DTAC would get their act together, in our local shop they refuse to accept it for anything, seeming baffled by the card, insisting on only accepting a passport.

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

A pink card is as common as a pink elephant and is just a white elephant. A passport will do the same. 

You carry your passport matey.  My ID fits in my wallet. Pink ID are a lot more common than you know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2016 at 0:38 PM, bluesofa said:

I wrote ithe name in English as it's an English language forum.

Just from experience, even if they do speak English at BORA, I've always found it easier to get a Thai to speak to them as quite often (not always though) it does tend to lose some important details when discussed in English.

"it does tend to lose some important details when discussed in English." :thumbsup:

By the way almost all the time, almost everywhere. 

For instance, administration, immigration, any problems with a guarantee of any product,  about one's car insurance, maintenance of the car...and more :smile: 

In English,  important points would be probably missing/omit.

I already had a yellow tabian baan  so today l went to apply for the pink card at my local amphur (in Pathumthani). The office was not busy and the total time including waiting was about 20 minutes. The staff were friendly and helpful and obviously familiar with those cards.

No paperwork was required but they wanted sight of the yellow book, passport, householders ID card and blue book. The fee was 100 baht.

Since obtaining my pink Thai ID card several weeks ago at the Amphur office in Kathu Phuket, I have found that by simply flashing it when at the check-out counter of many "Thai" shops, or when checking into a hotel, I find myself paying the local Thai prices, not the inflated prices most tourists find themselves paying.

If you own your own home in T'land and have the Yellow Tambian Baan with your name in Thai Script in it, I can't think of a single reason why not to get the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, verticalift said:

If you own your own home in T'land and have the Yellow Tambian Baan with your name in Thai Script in it, I can't think of a single reason why not to get the card.

You do not need to own your own home to be listed in a yellow Tabien Baan.

On 8/22/2017 at 3:16 PM, verticalift said:

Since obtaining my pink Thai ID card several weeks ago at the Amphur office in Kathu Phuket, I have found that by simply flashing it when at the check-out counter of many "Thai" shops, or when checking into a hotel, I find myself paying the local Thai prices, not the inflated prices most tourists find themselves paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm the opposite I got mine after much a'do and can't really get occasion to use it. Thais just laugh when they see it, equating me to 'Hill Tribe', has been the most comment.  I tried to use it at airport but they still asked me for passport. I got it on the basis as 'it may be useful' and I guess anything that gives us a more 'official' look might be useful in the future but I never use it now. Use my Thai driving licence much more but maybe if i did 'touristy things' it might get me Thai prices.

42 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I'm the opposite I got mine after much a'do and can't really get occasion to use it. Thais just laugh when they see it, equating me to 'Hill Tribe', has been the most comment.  I tried to use it at airport but they still asked me for passport. I got it on the basis as 'it may be useful' and I guess anything that gives us a more 'official' look might be useful in the future but I never use it now. Use my Thai driving licence much more but maybe if i did 'touristy things' it might get me Thai prices.

I concur, it's somewhere in the back of desk draw. Thai DL and passport copy is all I need for everyday things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

That's because you tried to use your Thai ID card with your name in Thai script, when you booked the flight using English script.

Try booking in with your name in Thai script the same as on your ID card and you won't have any problems using your Thai ID card as your ID, just as Thais do.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That's because you tried to use your Thai ID card with your name in Thai script, when you booked the flight using English script.

Try booking in with your name in Thai script the same as on your ID card and you won't have any problems using your Thai ID card as your ID, just as Thais do.

Can you do that?

When I booked a flight for my sister-in-law, I'm sure the website told me I could only enter it in English after I tried Thai script first.

Or maybe you need to book it at an agent or airline office for it to be entered in Thai?

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Can you do that?

When I booked a flight for my sister-in-law, I'm sure the website told me I could only enter it in English after I tried Thai script first.

Or maybe you need to book it at an agent or airline office for it to be entered in Thai?

For internal flights within Thailand, yes.

Nok Air, Air Asia etc all accept online bookings in Thai or English script.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is only a local identity card for use, and accepted as such within Thailand's borders.

For International flights, passport and name as detailed in the passport.