thai id card for foreigners

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

For internal flights within Thailand, yes.

Nok Air, Air Asia etc all accept online bookings in Thai or English script.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is only a local identity card for use, and accepted as such within Thailand's borders.

For International flights, passport and name as detailed in the passport.

OK.

There must have been something up with the website at the time (January this year). It was a Nok Air internal flight.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not sure about that. I tried Nok Air and Thai Lion Air and was unable to enter Thai text with Thai selected as the language. Was able to enter it in English only.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about that. I tried Nok Air and Thai Lion Air and was unable to enter Thai text with Thai selected as the language. Was able to enter it in English only.

Did you select 'Thai' on the booking website?

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Did you select 'Thai' on the booking website?

The is what I meant when I wrote this.

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

with Thai selected as the language.

Only needed to switch from English to Thai and vise versa for the keyboard to test it

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The is what I meant when I wrote this.

Only needed to switch from English to Thai and vise versa for the keyboard to test it

Select Thai language on the website and your PC.

Use the (Thai) drop down boxes to select departure and arrival destinations, same with dates.

You have to complete the whole booking in Thai just the same as your wife would.

Then your Thai ID will be accepted at check in.

I've made several internal flights using this method of booking.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Select Thai language on the website and your PC.

Use the (Thai) drop down boxes to select departure and arrival destinations, same with dates.

I had the website set to Thai and did everything in Thai. I was not about to change my PC to Thai to do a test.

I buy my wife's tickets at the same time I do mine in English. No reason to do it in Thai.

Just tried the Air Asia site (in Thai) and I am able to enter the name in Thai. Everything was the same as when I tried Nok and Thai Lion air where I was not able to do it.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I had the website set to Thai and did everything in Thai. I was not about to change my PC to Thai to do a test.

I buy my wife's tickets at the same time I do mine in English. No reason to do it in Thai.

Just tried the Air Asia site (in Thai) and I am able to enter the name in Thai. Everything was the same as when I tried Nok and Thai Lion air where I was not able to do it.

Just the same as you, UJ. I've tried Air Asia and Nok Air in Thai language to select a flight.

Air Asia allowed me to enter a name in Thai, Nok Air would not. If I changed to English, only then could I type in the name & surname boxes for Nok Air.

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

For internal flights within Thailand, yes.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is only a local identity card for use, and accepted as such within Thailand's borders.

Perhaps they used to, but at least Thai Air Asia explicitly says that the passenger name must be in the English alphabet and match what's shown on government ID. See the attached screenshot.

airasia.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, QuantumMech said:

Perhaps they used to, but at least Thai Air Asia explicitly says that the passenger name must be in the English alphabet and match what's shown on government ID. See the attached screenshot.

airasia.png

Thanks,

Just checked with my Thai SIL who booked 3 months ago and she confirmed the name will now only be accepted in English.

That will save me valuable time next time I'm booking.

13 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

I have been here on retirement visas since 2013.

Not married to Thai. 

Living in my own condo in Bangkok, registered in my name.

What is the process, please? Where do I start?

Do you have a blue house book for your condo? You will need that to get a yellow house book at the Khet for where your are living. Check with Khet to find out what they require.

After you get the yellow house book you can then get the ID card.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

Do you have a blue house book for your condo? You will need that to get a yellow house book at the Khet for where your are living. Check with Khet to find out what they require.

After you get the yellow house book you can then get the ID card.

Good morning Ubon Joe. No, I don't have a blue house book. I have the big registration paper from the Land Registration office after it was transferred to my name. Maybe the Juristic Person office in my condo knows how I can get the blue book. Having obtained that, next how do I know which Khet office I need to go to get the yellow house card? Reading the replies on this thread, something called a TB book, right? 

15 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

Good morning Ubon Joe. No, I don't have a blue house book. I have the big registration paper from the Land Registration office after it was transferred to my name. Maybe the Juristic Person office in my condo knows how I can get the blue book. Having obtained that, next how do I know which Khet office I need to go to get the yellow house card? Reading the replies on this thread, something called a TB book, right? 

You would get the blue house book (tambien ban) at the Khet where you would get the yellow house book.

It think TB means tambien ban that is a transliteration of the name in Thai for the book.

There are downsides to having the ID ( although I would still say the upside is better still)

Yesterday morning traveling along the ring road twds airport. I was stopped at a usual police stop. Oh s**t realized my wallet was at home with DL in have photo copy so produced it. No good wanted the real thing. "You have foriegn thai ID" yes i have oh s**t its in wallet as well. My fault went to table to pay fine for having no DL 200bht PLUS 200bht for not carrying ID card. No arguments coughed up the money receipt given. Wording translated to no DL and no ID card. Lesson learnt if i forget wallet again and they ask if i have ID card NO will be the answer.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get the blue house book (tambien ban) at the Khet where you would get the yellow house book.

It think TB means tambien ban that is a transliteration of the name in Thai for the book.

Right. Next question from the dummy that I am :) is how do I find my particular Khet? I'm on Charoen Nakhorn Road in Bangkok right on the river.

12 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Right. Next question from the dummy that I am :) is how do I find my particular Khet? I'm on Charoen Nakhorn Road in Bangkok right on the river.

I am sure the condo management could tell you where the Khet is for the district where you are living is.

Map showing the 50 districts is here. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1SfKSjFZFlqFCtL-6lnYhhBmlfOM&hl=en_US&ll=13.727581324915404%2C100.61558903662115&z=13

13 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

My wife is pretty sure you live in Khet Khlong San.

If so, your area office is, Khlong San District Office, 861 Lat Ya Road, Khwaeng Khlong San, Khet Khlong San, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600, Thailand.

You should have been issued a Blue Book when you purchased the Condo (question your solicitor).

Foreigners cannot usually be named in the Blue Tabien Baan though, which is why they issue a Yellow Tabien Baan in which foreigners can be named. 

You'll have to take the property title deeds as proof of ownership of the Condo.

Edited by Tanoshi

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

My wife is pretty sure you live in Khet Khlong San.

If so, your area office is, Khlong San District Office, 861 Lat Ya Road, Khwaeng Khlong San, Khet Khlong San, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600, Thailand.

You should have been issued a Blue Book when you purchased the Condo (question your solicitor).

Foreigners cannot usually be named in the Blue Tabien Baan though, which is why they issue a Yellow Tabien Baan in which foreigners can be named. 

You'll have to take the property title deeds as proof of ownership of the Condo.

Good morning Tanoshi. Yes, we are in Khlong San. I'll go to this district office. No, I didn't get any Blue Book when I purchased the condo. I do have the property deeds, properly registered in my name. 

Many thanks for your help!

19 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Good morning Tanoshi. Yes, we are in Khlong San. I'll go to this district office. No, I didn't get any Blue Book when I purchased the condo. I do have the property deeds, properly registered in my name. 

Many thanks for your help!

There will definitely have been a Tabien Baan (blue book) issued for your condo. For one thing, it is required to have an electricity meter installed. If it has been mislaid, it isn't a big deal for the Khet to issue a replacement.

I helped to have a yellow Tabien Baan issued recently for someone that rents a condo that I own. For proof of ownership they required not the Title Deed but the Sale Agreement. That is the document given to you by the Land Department together with the Title Deed after transfer. 

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

There will definitely have been a Tabien Baan (blue book) issued for your condo. For one thing, it is required to have an electricity meter installed. If it has been mislaid, it isn't a big deal for the Khet to issue a replacement.

I helped to have a yellow Tabien Baan issued recently for someone that rents a condo that I own. For proof of ownership they required not the Title Deed but the Sale Agreement. That is the document given to you by the Land Department together with the Title Deed after transfer. 

I bought the condo on resale from the original American owner, not the actual developer. Electricity meter transfer was a snap. Still cannot find any blue book. I only have the big A3 sized oficial govt paper which I believe is the title deed. Abroad right now but will get after condo management and Khlong San khet office to pursue this on return.

The only time I have had the pink ID card rejected was by Thai Airways staff at the check-in counter in Chiang Mai, who said that the card is only valid in my area - which it clearly says on the back. When I said that my area in all of Thailand, they just laughed. They then accepted my driver's licence, which is not allowed any more. Go figure.

Maybe TG should train their check-in staff.

Edited by Maestro
corrected typing error

11 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Are you sure a Thai DL cannot be used anymore to check in on domestic flights? It's been awhile, but it was always accepted before.

That's what I'm saying, and I was told so by a check-in staff in Bangkok last year. Yes, it used to be accepted. 

Also, you could check in at hotels with the DL, and that is not allowed any more either. I have had an expat manager reject my pink ID at a hotel, and when I told her this is an official government-issued ID and showed it to her Thai staff, they accepted it.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I have had an expat manager reject my pink ID at a hotel, and when I told her this is an official government-issued ID and showed it to her Thai staff, they accepted it.

The expat manager was correct. The hotel manager is responsible for the completion of the online TM30, which requires information not displayed on the pink ID card. It's the same situation with driving licenses.

I doubt the hotel staff care. It's not their responsibility and they don't have to worry about any comeback for not registering foreigners as required by law.

It's one thing not registering a guest in your condo, but another thing entirely if multiple hotel guests are not registered.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The expat manager was correct. The hotel manager is responsible for the completion of the online TM30, which requires information not displayed on the pink ID card. It's the same situation with driving licenses.

What information isn't on a Thai ID card, that's on a passport.

• Confused 1