thai id card for foreigners

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Passport number, TM6 (arrival card) number, date of expiration of stay, type of visa. All required by immigration when registering aliens.

I do not have a TM6 card, my date of expriration is "never" (due to permanent residence), and I don't need a visa (due to PR).

17 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The expat manager was correct. The hotel manager is responsible for the completion of the online TM30, which requires information not displayed on the pink ID card. It's the same situation with driving licenses.

I doubt the hotel staff care. It's not their responsibility and they don't have to worry about any comeback for not registering foreigners as required by law.

It's one thing not registering a guest in your condo, but another thing entirely if multiple hotel guests are not registered.

No, she was not right. The information required is my Thai ID number, not my passport number. That is the same as if a Thai person checks in. The staff knew that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

No, she was not right. The information required is my Thai ID number, not my passport number. That is the same as if a Thai person checks in. The staff knew that.

Come on you know you are in the 00000000000000000000.1%  and are just showing off that you have PR. Congratulations!   but 99.999999999999999999999% of us don't have PR

Really dont care if they report me to immigration when staying at hotel on my ID card. Not my problem. I always use ID to check in and always book hotel in wifes name a lot easier. If i know a particular hotel and theres a couple we use ask for passport. I go to a cafe or bar for half an hour mrs books in they never ask for anything then. If they dont report you then thats up to them (makes a nice change not up to you).

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

That's what I'm saying, and I was told so by a check-in staff in Bangkok last year. Yes, it used to be accepted. 

Also, you could check in at hotels with the DL, and that is not allowed any more either. I have had an expat manager reject my pink ID at a hotel, and when I told her this is an official government-issued ID and showed it to her Thai staff, they accepted it.

I managed both last week without any issues whatsoever. Two different airports and 2 different hotels accepted my Thai driving licence without question.

I also carry a credit card size copy of my passport and latest 90 day report as a backup should immigration ever have any queries.  In 13 years here I have never needed to produce them.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

You are in the distinct, but very privaledged minority. If you had mentioned you had PR in your post my reply would have been different.

As it stands, out of the many millions of non Thai people in Thailand, permanent residents make up a very small percentage.

Personally I think PRs should have their own type of ID card just for them. It would make life easier for PR holders, hotels, banks and just about everyone else. Trying to explain about the number 8 on the pink ID card is always going to be hard work.

4 hours ago, Lobber said:

My Thai DL works OK for both

Bet you need a 'certificate of residence' to get a new DL.

Those with Tabien Baans and Thai ID cards don't.............just another advantage............as well as getting Thai admission prices around the Country.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, jeab1980 said:

Plenty stated on thread. Loads of other threads too.

Main one for me using for internal flights and hotels.

Why 'main one'?  there is no 'advantage' over showing your DL or passport it's just one thing you can use but there is no 'advantage' as such.  Hotels should not accept it but might do so out of ignorance as they have to register you with passport number. I have a Thai ID and it's of very little value other than, maybe, getting cheaper entrance to tourist places but DL works just as well normally. 

On 9/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, jeab1980 said:

Really dont care if they report me to immigration when staying at hotel on my ID card. Not my problem. I always use ID to check in and always book hotel in wifes name a lot easier. If i know a particular hotel and theres a couple we use ask for passport. I go to a cafe or bar for half an hour mrs books in they never ask for anything then. If they dont report you then thats up to them (makes a nice change not up to you).

Good so we got there in the end. Your Thai wife books in, in her name, so you don't need to register and you feel great about that. Your ID card has not helped you there but why you are so keen to avoid the law is rather odd.

For the skeptical towards the Thai ID, I see a definate advantage that consists in avoiding having to carry a copy or an original of your passport all around...just for this (and surely for other reasons I ignore at the moment), I would consider the pink ID card worth the trip!

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

For the skeptical towards the Thai ID, I see a definate advantage that consists in avoiding having to carry a copy or an original of your passport all around...just for this (and surely for other reasons I ignore at the moment), I would consider the pink ID card worth the trip!

You seem to misunderstand. If the Police stop you the card won't help they still ask for your passport. Many of us carry a credit card size copy of our passport one side and the visa on the other in plastic.  You are dreaming if you think this card will help you much unless you are lucky. Banks, Insurance Companies, international travel, hotels will not accept it. You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, LannaGuy said:

Come on you know you are in the 00000000000000000000.1%  and are just showing off that you have PR. Congratulations!   but 99.999999999999999999999% of us don't have PR

On 9/11/2017 at 1:51 PM, blackcab said:

You are in the distinct, but very privaledged minority. If you had mentioned you had PR in your post my reply would have been different.

As it stands, out of the many millions of non Thai people in Thailand, permanent residents make up a very small percentage.

Personally I think PRs should have their own type of ID card just for them. It would make life easier for PR holders, hotels, banks and just about everyone else. Trying to explain about the number 8 on the pink ID card is always going to be hard work.

Sorry, I thought the pink ID is only available to PR holders, as mine says (in Thai) that the holder is a Permanent Resident. I should have read more of the thread before replying.

My apologies.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, onthemoon said:

Sorry, I thought the pink ID is only available to PR holders, as mine says (in Thai) that the holder is a Permanent Resident. I should have read more of the thread before replying.

My apologies.

Ah that explains it, easy mistake, thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

Incorrect, you must produce your passport to the relevant authority in a reasonable amount of time - you do NOT have to carry it at all times.

Producing a copy is of no use at all, far too easily photoshopped, (that is not to say some authorities may accept it - possibly a roadside police stop, but not for anything official).

2 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Incorrect, you must produce your passport to the relevant authority in a reasonable amount of time - you do NOT have to carry it at all times.

Producing a copy is of no use at all, far too easily photoshopped, (that is not to say some authorities may accept it - possibly a roadside police stop, but not for anything official).

I did not say legally 'have to' I said 'should'.  I do and get stopped, and show my small copy, and whilst all the others are fiddling around and have to go home then the Police Station I don't. Main page on one side - visa on the other encased in plastic CC sized. Made 6 copies. One for bike, one for car, one for wallet, one in computer bag, and two spare. You know it makes sense Rodders. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

You seem to misunderstand. If the Police stop you the card won't help they still ask for your passport. Many of us carry a credit card size copy of our passport one side and the visa on the other in plastic.  You are dreaming if you think this card will help you much unless you are lucky. Banks, Insurance Companies, international travel, hotels will not accept it. You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

The regular traffic BIB are stopping people to do roadside checks, such as a valid licence, tax, compulsory insurance, not your Immigration status.

You need a magnifying glass to read those credit card copies of passports.

I live in area where I'm regularly stopped at least twice a week at Police checkpoints.

Driving licence, tax disc and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses) always ensures I continue my journey unhindered.

I carry full size copies of my Passport, TM6 and latest extension stamp, but they have never been requested.

You may not be a Thai citizen, but to obtain the Thai ID card you have successfully registered as a civilian in Thailand and given an ID number to boot. Your details can be checked by any government agency via that ID number.

Edited by Tanoshi

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The regular traffic BIB are stopping people to do roadside checks, such as a valid licence, tax, compulsory insurance, not your Immigration status.

You need a magnifying glass to read those credit card copies of passports.

I live in area where I'm regularly stopped at least twice a week at Police checkpoints.

Driving licence, tax disc and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses) always ensures I continue my journey unhindered.

I carry full size copies of my Passport, TM6 and latest extension stamp, but they have never been requested.

You may not be a Thai citizen, but to obtain the Thai ID card you have successfully registered as a civilian in Thailand and given an ID number to boot. Your details can be checked by any government agency via that ID number.

Well I carry both so a bit like Elvis when someone said to him

"Hey Elvis why that chain around your kneck has Star of David, Cross and Tao?"

Elvis "Well I like to have insurance"

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses)

Seriously? You are deluded if you think your alien ID card impresses anyone.

"Driving licence,"

If you are showing your driving licence, why on earth would you be showing your alien ID card too? Both are photo IDs - guessing you are trying to impress.

Edited by pearciderman

went today to the tessaban to get a kor ror 22 (confirmation of marriage) for purposes of a marriage extension of stay at immigration...and then the supervisor he sez: 'what you need is one of these!' and he produces a blank yellow tambien baan to illustrate...

they did all the necessary on the spot (had the wife and the step daughter with me and they both had their documents, me with passport and thai DL) and went back after lunch to collect the the completed yellow book and the pink ID card...

and then I sez: 'what about the kor ror 22?' and the deputy looks up and sez: 'oh, yeah...ye gots to go down the road to the amphur fer that...'...

no kidding...I thought that the tessaban and the amphur were the same but apparently not...but now I can stride confidently right up to the counter at the amphur with marriage certificate, yellow book and pink ID card in hand and say: 'I'll have one of them kor ror 22, please...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

17 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

went today to the tessaban to get a kor ror 22 (confirmation of marriage) for purposes of a marriage extension of stay at immigration...and then the supervisor he sez: 'what you need is one of these!' and he produces a blank yellow tambien baan to illustrate...

they did all the necessary on the spot (had the wife and the step daughter with me and they both had their documents, me with passport and thai DL) and went back after lunch to collect the the completed yellow book and the pink ID card...

and then I sez: 'what about the kor ror 22?' and the deputy looks up and sez: 'oh, yeah...ye gots to go down the road to the amphur fer that...'...

no kidding...I thought that the tessaban and the amphur were the same but apparently not...but now I can stride confidently right up to the counter at the amphur with marriage certificate, yellow book and pink ID card in hand and say: 'I'll have one of them kor ror 22, please...'

got the kor ror 22 today from the amphur for which they took photocopies of my new yellow book, pink ID card AND my US passport...as well as marriage certificate issued by the Thai embassy in the UAE and wife's documents...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Just carry my pink ID card and my drivers license. Fly around in thailand, show id for hotel bookings, get stopped by traffic cops, never needed anything else. Never carry my passport with me... absolutely not needed for any purpose when you have the pink ID

Funny thing happened when I wanted to buy a new sim card, prepaid for my son. Could not do at the sales counter at the AIS shop but had to go to their 'regular' shop in the same mall if I wanted to use the pink ID...Only time I was asked to produce my passport and I still think it was the unfamiliarity of the sales lady rather than the ID itself that was confusing....

On 9/13/2017 at 7:23 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

Really got the yellow tabien baan and the pink ID at the tessa baan, that is very uncommon as it normally can only be produced by Amphur.

Tessa Baan is there for SSO services only normally

Given the fact that you were confused about Tessa Baan and Amphur being the same I would ask the wife again where you actuall got it from LOL

2 hours ago, jumbo said:

Really got the yellow tabien baan and the pink ID at the tessa baan, that is very uncommon as it normally can only be produced by Amphur.

Tessa Baan is there for SSO services only normally

Given the fact that you were confused about Tessa Baan and Amphur being the same I would ask the wife again where you actuall got it from LOL

the confusion resulted from many posters stating that they had gone to the tessaban/amphur for the kor ror 22 for their marriage extension of stay...if you see my other post I obtained the kor ror 22 from the amphur the next day after obtaining the yellow book and ID card from the tessaban where I had originally gone for the kor ror 22...

we live next to the tessaban premises and our neighborhood is referred to as 'tessaban'...the amphur is a couple of miles away and is where the district police headquarters resides...

could be that along with immigration offices, banks, etc. there is no consistency to how individual districts in Thailand choose to arrange things...TiT...'LOL'...

having looked at this thread

it looks like many have obtained the yellow book and pink ID card from their district amphur...in my case it was different, the local municipality (tessebaan) issued these documents...good to keep in mind in the event that either office claims not to know what yer talkin' about when applying for these documents...

remember: yellow book first then ID card as the personal ID number from the yellow book is then used for the ID card...and the yellow book document requirements are what a lot of folks have problems with...I was fortunate as the tessebaan folks were very helpful and friendly...