thai id card for foreigners

2 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

"Starting from July 10, district offices will also issue national identification cards for children. The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards."

Thai time? 6 years later moving on this issue.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Some schools believe they are a law unto themselves.

Responsible parents keep their kids ID cards safe at home. They produce them only on request.

It is the law once issued with an ID card to carry said iD card.

This apparently also includes us farang with the pi k ones as i was given a w00bht fine for not having it when i was stopped at a police checkpoint.

2 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Now? Notice the date on the below article?

"

ID cards for children issued from July 10

By The Nation

30159673-01.jpg

Authorities are preparing to visit schools from next week to issue national identification cards for children aged between seven and 14 years old there.

"Such preparations are included in our implementation plans," Department of Provincial Administration (DPA) deputy director-general Niran Kanlayanamit said yesterday.

Starting from July 10, district offices will also issue national identification cards for children. The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards.

Of the Thai population, about 8 million are between seven and 14 years old. Before this act takes effect, only Thais above 15 years old age were required to carry national ID cards.

"It will be easier for children to access government services. They can just produce their national identification cards alone. No need to carry birth certificates and household registrations," Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-07"

I know when it was implemented i was respondingto a poster saying 15yrs old. "Hence at age of 7 now"

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Some schools believe they are a law unto themselves.

Responsible parents keep their kids ID cards safe at home. They produce them only on request.

If you read my post it clearly said sent scurrying home. However it is the law to carry it. But i agree for once with you we kept our lads with us and produced ot on request. Till we deemed him sensible enough to look after it

1 hour ago, pearciderman said:

"Starting from July 10, district offices will also issue national identification cards for children. The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards."

The year was 2011.

Link to the Act stating children between 7-15 are required to carry their ID would be helpful.

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

This apparently also includes us farang with the pi k ones as i was given a w00bht fine for not having it when i was stopped at a police checkpoint.

Children under 15 cannot legally ride motorcycles either according to the law.

Under Thailand's Penal Codes children under 14 cannot be fined for criminal acts.

Hardly surprising then we see the BIB allowing young children to ride motorcycles, not wearing helmets and not carrying ID cards. 

If you were stopped at a Police checkpoint, you were probably fined for not having your DL.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is under the age of 15 not 14.

Children under the age of 15 cannot be fined for not having a Thai ID card.

I stand corrected.

Penal Code 

Section 74.

Whenever a child over seven years but not yet over fourteen years of age commits what is provided by the law to be an offence, he shall not be punished

Section 75.

Whenever any person over fourteen years but not yet over seventeen years of age commits any act provided by the law to be an offence, the Court shall take into account the sense of responsibility and all other things concerning such person in order to come to decision as to whether it is expedient to pass judgment inflicting punishment on such person or not.

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Children under 15 cannot legally ride motorcycles either according to the law.

Under Thailand's Penal Codes children under 14 cannot be fined for criminal acts.

Hardly surprising then we see the BIB allowing young children to ride motorcycles, not wearing helmets and not carrying ID cards. 

If you were stopped at a Police checkpoint, you were probably fined for not having your DL.

I knew the law on under 14's and not being fined  however if they are asked by an officer to produce them they must, be it there and then or later on. In the case of the drug tests at school it was the Army who appeared and demanded to see all ID cards for 7 and over and i for one aren't going to argue a point of law with them if you want to be my guest. I was informed by a teacher friend most went a short jurney home got ID card and returned. Those who lived what was deemed to far away or came in on school transport were not sent to get it. About 30 pupil's didn't bother going back to school!

I was fined 200bht for not gaving DL and xtra 200 bht for not having ID card. (Which was my fault all un wallet.  Wallet at home in safe! Also my fault for telling officer at desk when he asked for ID i told him said pinko was at home with DL. Next time i wont mention i have one lol

Edited by jeab1980

7 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I call total bs on this post, there are 99.5 percent of foreigners here without the alien ID card, no police officer in Thailand would ever ask for it.

Please tell us how this police officer knew you had an alien ID card?

Please show me the relevant legislation that says you must carry it with you at all time, if you have no other verifiable photo ID.

Just now, pearciderman said:

I call total bs on this post, there are 99.5 percent of foreigners here without the alien ID card, no police officer in Thailand would ever ask for it.

Please tell us how this police officer knew you had an alien ID card?

Please show me the relevant legislation that says you must carry it with you at all time, if you have no other verifiable photo ID.

Again you dont bother reading the thread do you. He asked for ID when i got out to pay the fine for no DL. I informed him my thai Alien ID card was also not with me. ( my fault i should not have mentioned it but he obviously knewvof them he (he being the police higher ranker there) informed me in that case i am going to fine you for not carrying it.

So if you would have bothered reading the thread you would be asking already answered quesrions would you. So if i may i call BS on your post.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I knew the law on under 14's and not being fined  however if they are asked by an officer to produce them they must, be it there and then or later on. In the case of the drug tests at school it was the Army who appeared and demanded to see all ID cards for 7 and over and i for one aren't going to argue a point of law with them if you want to be my guest. I was informed by a teacher friend most went a short jurney home got ID card and returned. Those who lived what was deemed to far away or came in on school transport were not sent to get it. About 30 pupil's didn't bother going back to school!

I was fined 200bht for not gaving DL and xtra 200 bht for not having ID card. (Which was my fault all un wallet.  Wallet at home in safe! Also my fault for telling officer at desk when he asked for ID i told him said pinko was at home with DL. Next time i wont mention i have one lol

There you are in case you cant be bothered looking mr cider whatever

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

There you are in case you cant be bothered looking mr cider whatever

Sorry, you were not fined for not having your alien ID card with you, please show the rule that says you must, (once issued) carry it at all times.

I do however believe that you were ripped off.

2 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Sorry, you were not fined for not having your alien ID card with you, please show the rule that says you must, (once issued) carry it at all times.

I do however believe that you were ripped off.

So  YOU belive i was ripped off who cares 200bht i have a recipt for the money..

As for showing thevrule how can I when I didnt know iether get a grip stop spouting stupidity. Read the posts before letting your fingers rule your brain. If your bored you find a rule what states you dont have to carry it. 

I stated what a policeman told me i never claimed once that there was any statute as to carrying them. You want to argue the point with the policeman fine PM me i will send you his details then you can argue the point with him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pearciderman said:

That is the Act !

I'm aware of the Act - National Identity Card Act BE 2554.

I'd like you to send me a link to this Act in English where according to you it states;

'children between 7-15 are required to carry their ID'. 

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I'm aware of the Act - National Identity Card Act BE 2554.

I'd like you to send me a link to this Act in English where according to you it states;

'children between 7-15 are required to carry their ID'. 

Did you even read my post?

"The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards."

3 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

"The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards."

Not wishing to be dragged into the slanging match regarding the lower age limit, why would the government impose an upper age limit for carrying an ID card?

So on your seventy-first birthday you no longer have to prove your identity?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Not wishing to be dragged into the slanging match regarding the lower age limit, why would the government impose an upper age limit for carrying an ID card?

Good question, not a clue as to the answer.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Isn't that the age the govt cuts you off... dead or alive?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

ID cards are replaced every 6 years with new updated photos.

At age 70 they stop updating the card.

When the card is renewed on or after your 70th birthday it's good for life.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

ID cards are replaced every 6 years with new updated photos.

At age 70 they stop updating the card.

When the card is renewed on or after your 70th birthday it's good for life.

60 actually card for life

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The wife's grandmothers card was last renewed when she was 72.

She is now 93.

You can still get the card replaced if it becomes damaged or worn regardless of age.

No body said you couldnt get a new card after it becomes a card for life at 60  not 70 as you stated. IF damaged or lost.

Edited by jeab1980

2 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Yes, it's just that I cannot find the Act listed anywhere on the internet to confirm your statement.

According to my wife, no government official expects a 7 year old child to be held accountable for carrying his ID card.

It would normally be kept safe by the parents and produced as required.

Children under 15 cannot be held accountable, so it appears to be an unenforceable law.

At 15 it's a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, it's just that I cannot find the Act listed anywhere on the internet to confirm your statement.

According to my wife, no government official expects a 7 year old child to be held accountable for carrying his ID card.

It would normally be kept safe by the parents and produced as required.

Children under 15 cannot be held accountable, so it appears to be an unenforceable law.

At 15 it's a different matter.

Jeez! It is NOT my statement ! Read the bloomin article and you will see who was commenting and who published it.

6 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Jeez! It is NOT my statement ! Read the bloomin article and you will see who was commenting and who published it.

So you've never actually read the Act, which is law, instead quoting a news article of which the content cannot be authenticated.

In the absence of said Act, I'll trust what the wife tells me.