thai id card for foreigners

Advantages?  For some folks, none, it seems, for others it's handy.  I've used mine at hotels and banks.  The Thai driving license might also have worked but I've had that rejected at hotels in the past.  I figure as long as it's free and for many not too complicated to get, why not?

Back to the rear of the card, need more translations, particularly LINE 3.  

Here's  a clip from a few months ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/?page=7

24 May 2016

A friend did this translation:

OFFICE OF CENTRAL REGISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION MININISTRY OF INTERIOR
INSTRUCTION FOR HOLDER IDENTIFICATION
1.This card is not ID.card
2.To carry all times for review
3.Do not allow the name on the card to leave the issue area unless those who have certificate of alien registration or who have allow writing letter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sure makes it sound more those issued to foreign workers from Burma, Laos, Cambodia, etc.
Mac

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/?page=16#comment-10891914

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyone have a different translation of the back of the card?

FYI, mine starts with a 6, thus not one for PRs, which start with 8.
Mac

onthemoon
 ·  · 
ID: 376   Posted June 24 · 
The card you scanned does not say "This is not an ID card". It says "This is not a citizen's ID card", meaning that the holder is not a Thai citizen.
The top line on the front of the card says "ID card for people who are not Thai citizens".
Hope to have clarified.

• Like 2

I stand corrected and now see something I must have hitherto carelessly overlooked after reading the 2008 DOPA/BORA Regulations for Issuing ID Cards to Foreigners posted by UbonJoe above, which I believe are pursuant to the 2008 Civil Registration Act. In addition to the two categories of which I was already aware, permanent residents and those with special permission to stay (i.e. stateless refugees and hilltribes), there is a third category that is simply foreigners living in the Kingdom who have a tabian baan, either yellow (TR 13) or blue (TR 14).  They are, in fact, obliged to apply for an ID card within 60 cards of getting a tabian baan.  This applies to all foreigners in tabian baans between the ages of 5 and 70.

Thank you to Sumrit for point this out.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 6:09 PM, bluesofa said:

I thought that was mainly the point of most people applying for the pink ID card - as you said, those without Thai nationality or PR.

I'd never really looked at the wording on the back before, the part about travelling outside of the area where the card was issed/covers.

IIRC I think there was some wording similar to this on the ID card issued to hilltribes, etc - the one with the pink diagonal line across it -  prohibiting travel/work outside of the area?

BORA seems to feel that it's too much trouble to print another version without that prohibition on the back, despite the fact that regulations have now required PRs and all those in yellow books to carry them for the last 8 years. Obviously your visa or PR overrides this restriction but it could potentially provide an excuse to police to harass someone for not carrying their passport or alien book to prove this.  However, police demanding to see farang IDs is relatively rare and this danger is an even lower probability not worth worrying about, particularly as you are not committing any offence by carrying this card only.

I have never had a pink card as my DO refused to issue them when I had PR and might have wanted one and now I am lucky enough to have a blue card. Having an ID card that can be conveniently carried at all times in a wallet is hugely useful and I believe the pink one would be just as good for nearly all purposes in Thailand.  In contrast the bulky, old fashioned reddish brown books that PRs are supposed to carry around as ID are never accepted by hotels, banks etc as ID and fall to pieces very fast anyway.  I assume that PRs with pink cards are absolved from the obligation to carry the old books around.

1 minute ago, khwaibah said:

Is the Pink ID car for foreigners accepted as a stand alone prof of residency at the Department of Land Transports ?

That would logical but I don't think so.  Bear in mind that Thais always have to produce copies of their tabian baan along with copies of ID card for everything.  So you will have to produce your tabian baan as proof as address, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Arkady said:

That would logical but I don't think so.  Bear in mind that Thais always have to produce copies of their tabian baan along with copies of ID card for everything.  So you will have to produce your tabian baan as proof as address, I guess.

Then the Pink ID worthless. I use my PP and YTB. To my knowledge there has been no laws passed or changed removing the PP as the official document for a foreigner as their ID.

5 hours ago, Arkady said:

there is a third category that is simply foreigners living in the Kingdom who have a tabian baan, either yellow (TR 13) or blue (TR 14).  They are, in fact, obliged to apply for an ID card within 60 cards of getting a tabian baan.  This applies to all foreigners in tabian baans between the ages of 5 and 70.

khwaibah, it seems that the holder of a yellow tabian baan is required by law to apply for his ID card within 60 days of receiving the tabian baan. Therefore, even if you have no use for the card, it will serve the purpose of keeping you in compliance with that particular legal requirement (which does not seem to be enforced at the moment but who knows what the future may bring)

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wrote ithe name in English as it's an English language forum.

Just from experience, even if they do speak English at BORA, I've always found it easier to get a Thai to speak to them as quite often (not always though) it does tend to lose some important details when discussed in English.

Its called B O R A which is an English acronym for a Thai Government Office. 

Just got my new ID-card form my amphur, applied this morning. Luckily I wasn't the first one to apply.

They were a bit difficult and wanted documents from my old Amphur, where I received my first yellow tabien baan. Despite the rules only saying passport and yellow tabien baan.

At my old amphur they were very helpful and simply refused to give some papers and let me copy some. That was helpful as my old amphur explained the reason for my new amphur wanting the documents, including an official translation of my passport.

Reports have to be made in Thai language only and the amphur doesn't want to translate things as the nationality and place of birth, rather they want to copy it from an official translation where they can point to.

My old amphur went further to explain that an amphur can ask for extra  documents not mentioned in the official regulations. But there is a catch, you can ask they do it in writing with clearly stating the reasons for the extra documents and this letter must be signed by the head of the amphur.

My old amphur told that if the new amphur wants the documents they will have to give a written letter and predicted that they didn't want to do this.

So my wife and me went back with some of the documents, explained that the old amphur wanted a formal letter stating the reasons and that if they wanted an official translation of my passport they would also have to give a formal letter. So they went duly about with filling in the paperwork and not 2 hours later everything as finished and I had my card.

My wife was of course very instrumental and knows how to bring the message very polite. In addition I did bring along extra documents with Thai translations of a lot of my personal details, like the translation of my capacity to marriage letter and my work permit, which were a great help and smoothed things nicely.

Next time they want documents that are not in the regulations, you know where the problem lies. Try to help them with things you already had translated and you can insist on a letter from the neigh amphur if they insist on something that is not in the official regulation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! Was that an attempt at humour by the staff, or a serious question?

Perhaps it was based on their own life expectation. I see acccrding to wiki, India has a life expectancy of 68. If it was a Thai asking, their life expectancy is 75. I'm a Brit so I could live to be 81, but I see Americans can only expect to get to 79.

I think she was serious!

• 6 months later...
22 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what real advantage is there to having this ID card ? (provided we dont use the 30 baht public hospital 'service' and dont go to the national parks)

ID card is the same information as yellow book and the main advantage is not needing to get a resident certificate from immigration every-time you need ID that shows your address, DLTs, rental contracts etc

• Like 1

no need to carry your passport as ID when out and about, boarding planes (domestic), official applications of any sort  (TV, Phone, VISA, DL)

registrating of benefits cards and loyalty plans. all things are dealt with much smoother...Thai seems for some reason more open to this ID than my foreign passport. 

7 minutes ago, jumbo said:

no need to carry your passport as ID when out and about, boarding planes (domestic), official applications of any sort  (TV, Phone, VISA, DL)

registrating of benefits cards and loyalty plans. all things are dealt with much smoother...Thai seems for some reason more open to this ID than my foreign passport. 

I think unfortunately it will still take some time before it's not only accepted, but understood by locals generally.

I was in Big C (Udon) with my wife and son, she spotted a mobile phone in the DTAC shop there that our son was keen on.

She asked the staff about it, then realised neither she or our son had any ID to apply for a particular account option on offer with the phone.

Then remembering how boring and organised I was, knew I would have my Pink ID on me. She asked the staff to open an account in my name. Staff looked at my card totally confused, and refused.

We walked away after my wife telling them that I had two AIS accounts (mobile and fiber) using the same card, they still weren't interested.

When I asked around later,  someone else on TV had successfully opened a DTAC account with the Pink ID card, but not in Udon.

I booked in the Pannarai Hotel a week ago, with the pink ID card...

But I understand your point... 

I was at the local bank and changed some USD back to THB, could not use the ID

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

I booked in the Pannarai Hotel a week ago, with the pink ID card...

But I understand your point... 

I was at the local bank and changed some USD back to THB, could not use the ID

Ha ha, that's really funny, as yesterday I went into Krung Thai Bank in Big C Udon and changed 100 Euros into Baht with only my pink ID. The staff didn't look surprised to see it.

Which bank did you go into?

As I said in my previous post, some people understand it, others don't.

I have a Thai I'd card and yellow book. Difficult to get having to take 3 Thai guarantors from my village. The big issue here is what can I use it for. I still have to report address to immigration every 90 days. It was not accepted for renewal of 5 year driving licence proof of address so for me it has no use at all. 

On 10/3/2016 at 8:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

Sure and this is the bigger hurdle usually (translations etc.).

Yellow book includes name in Thai script and assigning citizen id (starting with "6" in my case as a "temporary foreigner").

Can anyone tell me the benefit of having the Pink id card? Is it worth obtaining? If so why exactly?

If you are right about no:3 it would relate in the Thai way that the card confirms where you are living and would then become invalid should you move. and would then have to reregister in your yellow book and get a new Pink ID.

Cost me 80 baht so passport is looked away in the safe only to be seen for official immigration business.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, ghworker2010 said:

Can anyone tell me the benefit of having the Pink id card? Is it worth obtaining? If so why exactly?

Discount entry to various locations, and to impress ladies that maybe you can understand Thai

• Like 1

The Pink Thai ID card for Foreigners has proven helpful many times in Buriram. SIM cards, post paid AIS Mobile phone service, CAT and AIS fiber internet, depositing a USA check at Bangkok Bank all go smooth with that card. I keep a photo of my Passport on my phone if the clerk needs that number. Delivery to my home from local stores seems to go better as they can read the address in Thai. Senior discount on BTS, MRT, movies with that card in my personal experience. It also shows your height in cm.  If I do not have my Government Hospital card I show the pink ID and they can quickly look up my medical records at the Government Hospital. The Yellow house book has worked perfect for many drivers licenses and registering two new vehicles in my name at the Buriram Land Transportation Office. I obtained PWA and PEA utility service in my name using my yellow house book. Years ago I obtained TOT land line phone service in my name using the yellow house book.  No TEA money for the above tasks as I was "papered', but there may be some procedures where chocolate cake for government office staff goes a long way. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2016 at 8:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

Regarding the fingerprinting (assuming that it was for the pink ID card).

When I gave my fingerprints for the card, I was told in English "fingerprints", but no specific finger to use.

I seem to remember I used my thumbs. I don't know if there's a specific finger you are supposed to use?

I'm guessing that if requested in the future, as long as I offer the same digits as I did for the ID card, that will be acceptable?

I got one in my local Amphur office in Chiang Mai many months ago.The boss there was slightly amused why I wanted one. It has only left my wallet once at a local resort and was met with great interest and the question "Are you Thai now ?" I still had to use my passport.

I see no real use for it ,if I had to pay a lot of baht I wouldnt have bothered also its only good for CM province I was told.

They do have my finger and thumb prints now and blood group but I'm not planning any criminal behaviour:smile: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I got one in my local Amphur office in Chiang Mai many months ago.The boss there was slightly amused why I wanted one. It has only left my wallet once at a local resort and was met with great interest and the question "Are you Thai now ?" I still had to use my passport.

Looks like they couldn't cope with the text immediately above the ID number: Identification card for people without Thai nationality.

I think it practical, in case of an accident it has my address in Thai letters as well as my blood type. Also the number of the card was accepted as a taxpayer id. (TIN) I pay taxes in Thailand and get some benefits of that.

So 100 bath, its wort it.