thai id card for foreigners

I'm getting my ID card today apparently. Rocked up yesterday with all paperwork a headman and my Mrs dad and was told it would be done on the day. Waited an hour and was told to all come back when they call us. I questioned that method and they agreed the headman was not required and to co E back with us and her dad when they call. Got a call today that we just need to go and dad not required. So off there now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tilacme said:

Went to Sirindhorn Dinosaur Museum yesterday, 40bt for thais and 100bt for foreigners,  showed my ID card and paid 40bt, sic1 ,as my daughter would say.

...and what does your daughter mean when she says sic 1?

Just remember you can ignore the back, put your passport in the safe, and the card does it all, bank, hotel, police checks etc.. The card is good as it assures people that you should be completely legal, and the fact you have this ID, that Thailand has accepted you and your right to be here. :shock1: Remember, I am talking about the day to day Thai people, not those who think you are not worthy! Get one, flash it and watch the wheels turn! 70-80 baht a pop, 10mins to do, but, she will have to go to the storeroom to get a blank, yellow book and passport plus copies.

Had to get a new yellow book yesterday as have just moved house. Local area for Ban Chang. Had to cancel old one in one office and get the new one in a different office as the districts were not the same. However completed in a couple of hours but was told I had to get an ID card which took another ten minutes and 60 baht. Not a problem but this office see's it as compulsory.

As a Canadian Expat living in Phuket for the past 18 years, I've had the Yellow Book (Tambien Baan) for years, for "my" home.

(Land is owned by my wife)

My name in Thai Script and a 13 digit number is also shown. I had no idea that I was also entitled to the pink Thai ID card based on my holding a Yellow Tambien Baan. Will look into getting a card. It might come in handy some day.

Thanks for starting this thread.

11 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Just remember you can ignore the back, put your passport in the safe, and the card does it all, bank, hotel, police checks etc.. The card is good as it assures people that you should be completely legal, and the fact you have this ID, that Thailand has accepted you and your right to be here. :shock1: Remember, I am talking about the day to day Thai people, not those who think you are not worthy! Get one, flash it and watch the wheels turn! 70-80 baht a pop, 10mins to do, but, she will have to go to the storeroom to get a blank, yellow book and passport plus copies.

Absolute rubbish, most of us here are on annual extensions, do not meet the requirements and your not here, you can have all your pink and yellows you like. A new Immigration office has set up in the province I live in and for this years extension based on retirement its like starting from when you just arrived. I asked about all the years reporting to the previous Immigration Office and just lots of blank looks. Ram it. 

35 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Absolute rubbish, most of us here are on annual extensions, do not meet the requirements and your not here, you can have all your pink and yellows you like. A new Immigration office has set up in the province I live in and for this years extension based on retirement its like starting from when you just arrived. I asked about all the years reporting to the previous Immigration Office and just lots of blank looks. Ram it. 

Since yellow books and pink ID cards are the remit of Amphurs and bugger all to do with your immigration status and Immigration offices, both old and new, exactly what are you pissed off about?

12 hours ago, phetpeter said:

What a load of BS you talk ,just because you think you have the PINK ID card you are safe ,,,,wake up and smell the coffee !!!!!

15 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

What a load of BS you talk ,just because you think you have the PINK ID card you are safe ,,,,wake up and smell the coffee !!!!!

He never said it made your stay safer did he? He said the passport can stay in the safe.

What coffee?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Since yellow books and pink ID cards are the remit of Amphurs and bugger all to do with your immigration status 

Amphoes are only supposed to register those who entered on Non Imm Visas, Not TV's or Visa exempts.

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Amphoes are only supposed to register those who entered on Non Imm Visas, Not TV's or Visa exempts.

and in 3, 2, 1, 

10 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Best grass mine up then miyaghi as I got one on a tv

As in most things in Thailand, particularly when dealing with bureaucracy, your experience can and will vary.

On 10/3/2016 at 8:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

Sure and this is the bigger hurdle usually (translations etc.).

Yellow book includes name in Thai script and assigning citizen id (starting with "6" in my case as a "temporary foreigner").

what in the world is a temporary foreigner ? separately, what are the benefits of having this id card (other than another form of id) ?

15 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what in the world is a temporary foreigner ?

By definition, one that doesn't have permanent residency!

All foreigners in Thailand that do not have permanent residency have temporary permission to stay.

In answer to your other question, IMO there are no benefits over a Thai driving licence, a lot of Thai's have no idea what it is and at least the licence does have your name in English.

42 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what in the world is a temporary foreigner ? separately, what are the benefits of having this id card (other than another form of id) ?

To obtain an ID card you must firstly give your details at an Amphoe to be placed on the Civilian Registration and obtain a Yellow House book. On condition of being registered, you can now obtain an ID card which carries your Biometrics.

It's an opportunity to integrate into Thai society and use your Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address and ID at any government establishment for administration purposes, just the same as a Thai would.

The book and ID card are in Thai script only, because they are only of use within Thailand borders.

33 minutes ago, Mattd said:

In answer to your other question, IMO there are no benefits over a Thai driving licence, a lot of Thai's have no idea what it is and at least the licence does have your name in English.

Thai licences are also in Thai and English because parties to the Geneva Convention must produce driving licences in the language of their own Country and in the Internationally accepted language of English.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Well stop reading my posts or block me. Up to u tilac.

And don't shout at bluesofa either.

Ha ha, thanks to springing to my defence!

I didn't reply before as I didn't see it a big deal with the criticism, although it was baffling to me  as to why I was accused of being someone else?

I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster. Perhaps paul18620 just didn't like my sense of humour, unless I have my own stalker I'm not aware of...

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

t's an opportunity to integrate into Thai society and use your Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address and ID at any government establishment for administration purposes, just the same as a Thai would.

I would agree regarding the Yellow Tabien Baan, as this does have limited advantages as a proof of address, whereas the Pink ID card is of little use, technically you are not even supposed to use it outside of the area of issue, it is an adaptation of the card issued for neighbouring country migrants.

This subject has been done to death on numerous topic posts.

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I would agree regarding the Yellow Tabien Baan, as this does have limited advantages as a proof of address, whereas the Pink ID card is of little use, technically you are not even supposed to use it outside of the area of issue, it is an adaptation of the card issued for neighbouring country migrants.

You can use your Thai ID card to book and travel on local flights, they are outside the area of issue.

Have you tried that using your Driving Licence to do that.

If a Driving licence is a form of ID why do you have to show your passport at the DLT to renew your DL.

If you understand how Thailand administration works the Tabien Baan and ID card can be used just as Thais do to renew a DL, book local flights, open bank accounts, selling/purchasing a vehicle register for tax etc.

Alternatively you can carry on using your foreign ID (passport) proof of address (certificates of residence) and numerous photocopies of various documents for administration processes.