Bangkok Bank Atm Withdrawls Outside Thailand

Hi everyone,

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1 account with a 'visa' ATM card. When I was in New York recently I was unable to withdraw cash from four ATMs I tried - despite them displaying the VISA and 'Plus' logos.

I checked with the staff here when I returned, and they confirmed the card can be used at any ATM in the world displaying VISA or Electron symbols. They were sure I had used the 'wrong' ATMs, although I am sure I had tried the right ones.

Anyway, I will be in the UK later this week and wondered if anyone here has any experiences of withdrawing cash in the UK with this card/account ? Is it possible ?

As always, any comments are much appreciated and valued.

Best regards,

Andy.

Can I assume that no one has tried to withdraw money from their Bangkok Bank account from elsewhere in the world? I get paid into the account whilst I am abroad on business, hence the reason it would be better to withdraw money myself rather than have my girlfriend withdraw and send via Western Union, or some such service.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any experiences to share.

Andy.

I think you just have to check the back of your ATM card and see if it has either Plus or Cirrus logos. If it has either of these logos you should be able to withdraw cash from your BKK bank account 'anywhere' where there are cash machines that display either of these logos

From the BKK bank website:

With your Be1st Bangkok Bank Visa Electron card you can buy goods and services at more than 40,000 establishments in Thailand and eight million outlets worldwide.

It can be used, not only in Thailand, but worldwide, wherever you see the PLUS sign.

You can use it as an ATM card which enables you to withdraw or transfer up to 500,000Bt daily.

In the last twelve months I've used my Bkk Bank ATM card in New York, Chicago, Sydney, Gold Coast, Auckland, London, Norwich, Manila, Batangas, Jakarta, Singapore, Phnom Penh, Hong Kong, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur and Hanoi.

Never had any problems, although I did find it hard to locate an ATM machine which used Plus in the Philippines. Once I located one, though, there were no problems.

Edited by bendix

Thanks for your replies. I guess I must have been really unlucky with the machines I tried when in New York. I thought they were the right ones, but I guess not. <smiles>

Thanks again for the replies, and I will update this with my experiences in the UK next week.

Andy.

i used to have problems in .nl when trying to withdraw from the ATM.. getting my secretary to call the bank revealed that I was using the ATM while they were doing maintenance (which was always in the night time in Thailand) but due to the time difference, mid day in .nl

since then I only used it later in the day in .nl / early morning in .th and it wasn't a problem.. not sure if that's it, but it worked for me :o

Using the Bangkok Bank Be1st visa electron card I too initially had problems internationally.

I went into our local branch and spoke with the guy who looked up my account on his pc, he found that the option to use it in international ATM's was not checked, he checked the box and hey presto, it was enabled.

Give this a try mate.

My Thai co-worker used his BKK Bank ATM card in Tokyo, no problem.

My wife used her BKK Bank ATM card in Singapore, no problem.

I believe, as we can use Citibank or Oz banks ATM cards in Thai, they are all interconnected.

Why would not they be? It's millions they charge each other every month for cross-use of ATMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just to follow up on my original post as it might be useful for someone in the future. I managed to withdraw cash from a Barclays Bank cash machine in the UK, using my Bangkok Bank Be1 ATM card - and without notifying the bank prior to travelling. It seems as though most of the cash machines in the UK have that all important 'PLUS' sign - so it shouldn't be a problem for anyone else. I hope this helps.

Andy.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I could do with some up to date information.

I'm leaving Thailand and heading back to the UK and would prefer to use my BK Bank Be1st (VISA, PLUS) card to withdraw from my account (empty it actually), rather than Western Union/carrying a large amount of cash.

I'm also expecting a sum to be deposited after I've left (apartment deposit - have to wait 40 days, dammit!)

International withdrawals still going smoothly?

Any idea on fees?

I will go to my branch to make sure I can withdraw overseas and check fees etc, but first-hand experience would be appreciated.

I'd hate to have my money stuck in Thailand, and me in the UK with no way to pop into the bank.

Cheers

• 1 year later...