So where does fat go?

damo

5 hours ago, tropo said:

What is your age? 150 - 160  bpm doesn't mean much unless we know your maximum heart rate. My maximum through trial is 177 bpm which is 14 over the maximum theoretical number for my age worked out by the 220 minus age equation.

I always exercise with a heart rate monitor, but I don't do steady state high heart rate training like you do. (assuming you're old and 150/160 is high LOL). I push it up near max for a limited time, then bring it down again. A modified HIIT style of training. I use all the zones from 120's to 170's, averaging around 130 - 140.

Forty two years old, although I do not use theoretic maximum heart rate given my age. Like yourself I use a transmitter so I do not need to rely on theoretic HR, I have determined my max HR through taking my heart rate to the max on various occasions. At the moment I have derived the figure of 186 being my max HR. This is the max HR I achieve when ever I peak, It will get higher with time and perseverance, but not much and only with much more exposure to training in the 150 - 160 range or 70% to 80% (aerobic zone) cardiovascular development). I also use resting heart rate to determine this zone as well. There are other methods to determine your zones, especially lactic threshold although I do not bother as training with one method offers consistency and that is what enables myself to map my progressions.

Testing my max HR is the only time I would apply anything like HIIT and I am usually spend for a solid day or two when I do it. I also make sure I do it in the daytime when others are around given the obvious dangers of testing your heart like this.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

It's easy enough to write "exercising smart", but what is smart exercising? We could debate that topic for years and never come up with a consensus.

People are looking for an easy option, and IMO there is no easy way to burn fat by exercising. It's hard work! It requires determination, dedication and smart exercise choices, whatever they may be.:rolleyes:

I could tell you my version of "smart exercising", but you may not agree. 

Exercising smart, categorising body parts, challenging them in particular order, segregating types of exercise from others. Using technology like HR transmitters, actively seeking information and learning. How I work in the gym now and how I did a year ago is much different. These days I am better off because I can increase my exposure to the gym by not overtraining and feeling shit. Improved techniques through learning from professionals like Jeff Cavalier have delivered results too. I live within a couple of kms from a 24/7 gym plus I have the freedom most of the time to exercise when I like as I am a student,  not overtraining when I train lets me get back in sooner than later. This is my training smart. 

9 hours ago, damo said:

Forty two years old, although I do not use theoretic maximum heart rate given my age. Like yourself I use a transmitter so I do not need to rely on theoretic HR, I have determined my max HR through taking my heart rate to the max on various occasions. At the moment I have derived the figure of 186 being my max HR. This is the max HR I achieve when ever I peak, It will get higher with time and perseverance, but not much and only with much more exposure to training in the 150 - 160 range or 70% to 80% (aerobic zone) cardiovascular development). I also use resting heart rate to determine this zone as well. There are other methods to determine your zones, especially lactic threshold although I do not bother as training with one method offers consistency and that is what enables myself to map my progressions.

Testing my max HR is the only time I would apply anything like HIIT and I am usually spend for a solid day or two when I do it. I also make sure I do it in the daytime when others are around given the obvious dangers of testing your heart like this.

9 hours ago, damo said:

Exercising smart, categorising body parts, challenging them in particular order, segregating types of exercise from others. Using technology like HR transmitters, actively seeking information and learning. How I work in the gym now and how I did a year ago is much different. These days I am better off because I can increase my exposure to the gym by not overtraining and feeling shit. Improved techniques through learning from professionals like Jeff Cavalier have delivered results too. I live within a couple of kms from a 24/7 gym plus I have the freedom most of the time to exercise when I like as I am a student,  not overtraining when I train lets me get back in sooner than later. This is my training smart. 

I don't train in actual zones that I give specific names. I cycle my heart rate up and down throughout a workout, so it's interval training and quite high intensity at times, but for short periods. 

If you've tested your maximum heart rate, then that's it, you don't need a formula. I could probably get mine a few beats per minute up, but I think that's a dangerous thing to do, especially over the age of 50.

There a funny coincidence talking to you here. I have a Garmin heart rate monitor. I upload the data to my computer when I'm finished my workouts. I had to adjust my age to 43 (change DOB) in order for it to accept a maximum heart rate of 177. There was no method to input a different maximum heart rate for my age of 57. LOL. That's a bit low tech for a high tech device manufacturer and they ain't cheap.

I was using heart rate monitors in the early 90's and on cardio machines (Life Fitness) even earlier. I'm absolutely dumbfounded about how few people I see using them in 2016. I would not train without one. Are you in Thailand? In a tropical, humid climate you get a big increase in heart rate just from the heat. People think they're working harder because they're sweating profusely, but in actual fact their performance is lower and they are burning fewer calories. Some coaches are not big on using heart rate monitors for training top level athletes as there are a number of other factors which affect heart rate. Have you ever tried to do a workout with a heart rate monitor when you're supper stressed or angry? It could add 10 bpm to your numbers LOL.

Agreed, heart rate can be quite subjective, hydration, pre workout preparations, the music I'm listening to can all influence HR. I am always careful in Thailand when running as the humidity increases my recovery time and coming from an arid climate I can be caught out easily. I can always outrun my eldest daughter in Australia although she can outrun me in Thailand. I can't work it out. I know if I increase my HR a little towards 170 I am in the lactic threshold and then start limiting my time on the treadmill. 

Curious, are you using life fitness equipment in Thailand and if so, where?

I used to use a Polar HRM but now use runtastic with a mobile app on my android and the life fitness flex deck also sync's with it as well. Myself too, am dumbfounded by the lack of people benefiting from the efficiency and benefit of self measurement with heart rate training. 

1 hour ago, damo said:

Agreed, heart rate can be quite subjective, hydration, pre workout preparations, the music I'm listening to can all influence HR. I am always careful in Thailand when running as the humidity increases my recovery time and coming from an arid climate I can be caught out easily. I can always outrun my eldest daughter in Australia although she can outrun me in Thailand. I can't work it out. I know if I increase my HR a little towards 170 I am in the lactic threshold and then start limiting my time on the treadmill. 

I used to use a Polar HRM but now use runtastic with a mobile app on my android and the life fitness flex deck also sync's with it as well. Myself too, am dumbfounded by the lack of people benefiting from the efficiency and benefit of self measurement with heart rate training. 

I also have a Runtastic chest strap, but I don't like carrying around a phone while I'm working out. I'd have to use my wife's iPhone 6, which I find too bulky. Do you ever get funky readings with your Runtastic? Sometimes it would go crazy on me, reaching numbers in the 200's (bpm). I bought a Garmin wrist receiver as the Garmin chest strap comes with the Concept2 rower. I've also had a couple of Polars, but the quality is not so good, which is a shame considering they were one of the first.

I don't work out at public gyms no more. I used the Life Fitness bikes back in Australia, decades ago (time flies). At the more expensive hotel gyms you can find Life Fitness treadmills and bikes in good condition, but they're so expensive that few gyms want to buy them.

I do most of my exercising indoors with fans and aircon, but do go out to the park a couple of times a week to sweat it out. I don't run as I have knee arthritis. I do stairs and stepups and other exercises like pushups and chinups in big circuits. I can push my heart rate very high doing this and I get a full body workout while I'm at it. It looks like I've been for a swim when that's done - usually about an hour.

My theory about your daughter beating you in Thailand is because you're much bigger with a bigger core and more muscle, so you heat up more and can't keep cool as efficiently. Smaller Asian people are better adapted to hot climates. Think of skin surface area to body weight ratios. Bigger, heavier people are better adapted to cold climates. C with fans blowing. I still work up a reasonable sweat. We all need to maintain 37°C core temperature, so if the outside temperature is in the 30's, you don't have much cooling going on. When it's humid with no wind it's tough going. I keep my training room at 26°C with fans blowing. I still work up a reasonable sweat.

9 hours ago, damo said:

For the majority of people, HRM equipment is a useless expense. It's merely an excuse for a feel good shopping experience.

Even the GPS watches, it's nice to show your friends where you have been running, but unless you are a competitor, you don't need all those metrics. A simple watch and a known distance course is all you really need.

The money would be better spent getting a few hours of coaching.

To come back to the initial OP question, where does the Fat goes? ... it's converted in $$$ in the wallet of somebody else :-)

$70 dollars for a transmitter that gets used. I would be prepared to pay more for the value I feel it is worth. Getting back to the original question, where does fat go? Out of your mouth, expiration, cardio vascular exercise. The spirit of this thread.

I love showing off my favourite watch, http://www.panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor/luminor-marina-logo-acciaio---44mm_pam01005.html 

not a sports watch though, casual / dress watch.

Don't you ever spend a little on the hobbies that interest yourself? 

9 hours ago, singa-traz said:

For the majority of people, HRM equipment is a useless expense. It's merely an excuse for a feel good shopping experience.

Even the GPS watches, it's nice to show your friends where you have been running, but unless you are a competitor, you don't need all those metrics. A simple watch and a known distance course is all you really need.

To come back to the initial OP question, where does the Fat goes? ... it's converted in $$$ in the wallet of somebody else :-)

Everyone who exercises should invest in an HRM. Not necessarily the GPS ones, just the basic ones which show you your heart rate profile for your exercise session should suffice for most, however, most people can get all the GPS information from their smart phones if they want that. (eg Runtastic), which means a cheap heart rate strap is all that is required if the budget is stretched. 

I don't want to turn this into an education of why it's good to know what your heart rate is at any point in your exercise session. That should be obvious to most people who exercise. The older one gets, the more important this information becomes.

1 hour ago, damo said:

$70 dollars for a transmitter that gets used. I would be prepared to pay more for the value I feel it is worth. Getting back to the original question, where does fat go? Out of your mouth, expiration, cardio vascular exercise. The spirit of this thread.

I love showing off my favourite watch, http://www.panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor/luminor-marina-logo-acciaio---44mm_pam01005.html 

not a sports watch though, casual / dress watch.

Don't you ever spend a little on the hobbies that interest yourself? 

I spend loads on my gym and gym stuff.. I don't mind it keeps me interested. Though can't put much more in my gym so that option is gone. Maybe i should get a bigger house :D

10 hours ago, singa-traz said:

For me toys and stuff keep things interesting and keep me going. So i dont mind spending on it at times. I do use my heartrate monitor when I am rowing. However its just to see how high my heart-rate goes and  nothing much more. 

Ordered genetic testing.. will be done in a few weeks.. maybe a waste of money (probably) but I might learn some new stuff. 

58 minutes ago, robblok said:

For me toys and stuff keep things interesting and keep me going. So i dont mind spending on it at times. I do use my heartrate monitor when I am rowing. However its just to see how high my heart-rate goes and  nothing much more. 

Ordered genetic testing.. will be done in a few weeks.. maybe a waste of money (probably) but I might learn some new stuff. 

The fitter you get on the rower the more important the heart rate numbers become IMO.

I'll tell you why: Now that I'm reasonably fit on the rower I have to work very hard to get my heart up. It's not like when I first started when I could make it shoot up quickly. Unlike lower body dominant exercise (running, biking etc) it takes more (perceived) effort to get the heart rate up on the rower. If I relied on how I felt on the rower I would not row as hard. 

The fitter I get the harder rowing gets, which is not what people would expect. When you need to pull over 200 Watts to get your heart rate up, that's a lot of physical strain on the shoulders, arms and back. True HIIT (getting HR up to near maximum) on the rower is torture LOL.

When I'm out in the park all I need to do is walk up stairs quickly and my heart rate is way up there. I'm starting to enjoy that more.

Considering I used to be an overweight booze hound a couple of years ago when I worked FIFO, life is frigging awesome now I am fit again. Having the transmitter and knowing how to use it, understanding how to use it in relation to the principle of fat loss in the video is life changing stuff. Im trimming down again after a casual slow weight gain over winter. This summer, like last summer I'll have the six pack back. Happy with that for 42 years old. Being in great shape is awesome fun. Especially when i'm in Thailand.

Clenbuterol, I tried it.. there are dangers with it. But people can take it it with care.

Personally I wont touch it again because of the cramps even with taurine and other supplements against the cramps I could not get rid of them. Real painful. 

And well done on losing 5 pounds. 

Clenbuterol. I havn't used it, I looked into it, decided it was not for me. Uncertain wether carrying some extra fat outweighs the touted side effects, it's a dangerous drug to some people I believe.

A low carb high fat diet worked for me. No exercises as that makes me super hungry.

20 kilo in about 6 months (from 105 to 85), my goal is around 75.

Introduced some carbs again (a bit rice and bread) and still loosing weight as i watch what i eat. Nothing that has been pre-processed or has added sugar.

I like yoghurt but had to make my own (from full fat milk) as store bought has to much sugar.

After many different diets i tried before this was remarkably simple.

Every body is different,when i used to run a lot i used a hrm on a regular basis.When i was 42 my maximum heart rate was 211!

I have checked that several times and it was right on.During normal runs my heart beat was around 180 my running buddy was somewhere in the 150 rate.

Using a hrm you learn how to recognize the rate of your heart beat.A real test of how fit you are is how long it takes for your heart beat to return to normal after a heavy workout.

2 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

A low carb high fat diet worked for me. No exercises as that makes me super hungry.

20 kilo in about 6 months (from 105 to 85), my goal is around 75.

Introduced some carbs again (a bit rice and bread) and still loosing weight as i watch what i eat. Nothing that has been pre-processed or has added sugar.

I like yoghurt but had to make my own (from full fat milk) as store bought has to much sugar.

After many different diets i tried before this was remarkably simple.

I've seen a lot of different brands of natural, non sweetened yogurts around the stores. Yoplait from Australia is a good one - it comes in 1kg containers... but there's brands from all over the world, including Thailand brands (of natural, unsweetened yogurt). May I suggest you look into getting some kefir grains to make your own drinking kefir - it's a much more powerful probiotic food and very sour.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Every body is different,when i used to run a lot i used a hrm on a regular basis.When i was 42 my maximum heart rate was 211!

I have checked that several times and it was right on.During normal runs my heart beat was around 180 my running buddy was somewhere in the 150 rate.

Using a hrm you learn how to recognize the rate of your heart beat.A real test of how fit you are is how long it takes for your heart beat to return to normal after a heavy workout.

So what is the significance of a very high max heart rate for your age? Does it mean you're in better condition than another, with a lower max heart rate? I've pushed mine 14 over the theoretical limit for  my age, but you're running at 33 over the theoretical limit.

Tropo,no i was just saying that every body is different,i do not think you can increase your maximum heart rate.

If you want to train going by hrm you need to know your maximum rate and not go by 220 minus your age.

There are people who can run for hours at high speed with a very low heart beat but i must say i do not know their

maximum beat rate.

My last sentence in my post says how you can really check how fit you are.

Tons of stuff on YouTube about how processed and refined carbs are simply ruining people's health.

It's been published in medical journals since 1801 and largely ignored since then.

From an evolutionary point of view it all stacks up, stop eating carbs and start cooking from scratch and freezing your own meals.

As usual, it effects the poor more than anyone else.

As it turns out, calories are not equal and the majority of overweight and obese people are not the gluttons that the media likes to portray them as.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Tropo,no i was just saying that every body is different,i do not think you can increase your maximum heart rate.

If you want to train going by hrm you need to know your maximum rate and not go by 220 minus your age.

There are people who can run for hours at high speed with a very low heart beat but i must say i do not know their

maximum beat rate.

My last sentence in my post says how you can really check how fit you are.

It's an interesting topic though. I must research it more. Why do max heart rates come down as we age, even if we stay fit?

15 hours ago, damo said:

Clenbuterol. I havn't used it, I looked into it, decided it was not for me. Uncertain wether carrying some extra fat outweighs the touted side effects, it's a dangerous drug to some people I believe.

Its a personal choice of people.. i tried it.. was not for me.. but I read about the dangers and side effects first. If I did not have the craps i might have tried it longer. It did work. But the cramps made my workouts (and just waking up and stretching) really painful. Crying like a baby in bed with cramp in the calf muscle after yawning was quite normal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2016 at 3:36 AM, tropo said:

It's an interesting topic though. I must research it more. Why do max heart rates come down as we age, even if we stay fit?

I think the mindset you have still relates to the theoretical hr, I assume the formula decreases by 1 bpm per year to account for a theoretical diminished capacity. Reality is your capacity will diminish with age, although your fitness will be dictate your actual hr/ capacity, not a theoretical yard-stick. Sort of like throwing away the BMI index, and using a measuring tape to determine your body mass. 

Archived