Lecherous monk with girlfriend shock Thais who demand action!

webfact

20 minutes ago, johnhw said:

If you really believe in a god ...no absolution in the eyes of god...spiritual consequences....spiritual forgiveness ...Absolution for sins.... ????

......You're right, it doesn't quite work that way

That's right, it doesn't.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow , I wonder just when these pictures  were taken?

Pretty shocking in some ways.  I have seen a few monks who looked like they did not belong

, but I have also seen many more who help Thailand people and the temple that they reside at.

I also know of good and bad people in Canada , USA and other places in other religions

I recently was told of a Catholic bishop who killed himself in a plane crash as he was going

to be arrested and he did not want that shame.  Just saying there are good and bad all over

the world. It is not  just Buddhist monks.

Geezer

I used to visit someone in Bang Kwang  a  few years ago - The first  (cell No#1  ) was always difficult to pass by  due to a crowd  of lady monks in white hanging  around  outside .

I later found out that he was a fallen but much respected  monk  who  had managed to raise funds to build a  Wat in the prison grounds   - while he was  actually doing time .

Seems  that he was inside for -     hanky  panky with ladies . !

I can't speak for  his religious commitments  but this was a  man  who obviously   had  rock star status as well superb  financial
and  PR abilities .!

No big deal. Monks have a hard time trying to keep away from women. I read some books that tell stories of some "Thudong monks" encountered village girls during their alms round in the village.(Thudong monks mean Forest monks they live in deep forest ). One monk wrote that one day he saw a young village girl showing a lot of interest in him. He couldn't get her out of his mind and it completely destroyed his meditation practice. He finally decided to  de-robe and marry her, that was the end of his monkhood practice.

An old famous monk said, "At the age of 60 your sex desire is still there, you still have to deal with this problem".

On 10/3/2016 at 6:04 AM, HoboKay said:

What happened to the embezzlement case the other monk got involved in? If that gets no action by the  authorities, what's this little debacle going to result in?

Good point !!!! they apparently forgot all about it....if they don't talk about it ....they hope that it will just disappear..?!?!?

On 10/3/2016 at 4:04 AM, hotchilli said:

Ok I don't condone what the photo's imply... it does look bad in the eyes of true believers of Buddhism.
The monk I guess is only in for a short time (excuse the pun) & the girl should obviously know better, it takes two to tango!!

yes I agree the Thai system maybe out-of-date, taking in recruits of all dubious backgrounds

but if you're a bad person then any amount of training, or training period isn't going to resolve the issues...

just take a look at other faiths around the world and see what goes on...  the Catholic "shirt-lifters" got away with it for decades 

but they had the good sense to do it behind closed doors and not put it on Line....

As the good book says " let he who has committed no sin cast the first stone" 

I think if you go back to the origins of Buddhism a monk did not become a monk to get something (merit/karma, something to please his parents, etc), they became a monk to give something (their time/life to attaining enlightenment).  If you become a monk so you can sober up or need a place to sleep or so you can gain merit for your family, you're not really monk material to begin with.  

For those saying religion is bad, this is a good example.  Buddhism in Thailand has very little resemblance to Buddhism the path/philosophy.  I can get on board with what the Buddha actually taught (I'm not saying I live my life 100% that way) but when monks are needed to bless washing machines and cars, you sorta know that you're not dealing with the philosophy anymore.  

It's become a religion and religions tend to be more for people who want the end product (enlightenment, going to heaven, 70 virgins, or whatever) without actually having to put in the hard work.  That may sound strange when you think about the people who devote themselves to a religion but talking about religion 18 hours a day or even blowing yourself up is a lot easier than actually living what the religion teaches.  Compassion is hard.  Turning the other cheek is hard.  Acting holier than thou and pointing your finger at every else's sins is easy.  

It's like a joke I heard, when I was young I used to pray to god every night for a new bicycle.  But as I got older I began to understand that that is now how god works so I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness.  

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:03 AM, Think2Mutt said:

The bigger shock would be to find a straight and honest monk in Thailand!

Met lots (I'm one of those fool interested in learning about unfamiliar cultures rather than staying glued to a farang bar stool).  I find most monks reasonably well-informed, honest & sincere & rather open- minded compared to the few Christian missionaries I've met who tended to be not only as arrogant like too many  on these TV strings, but unbelievably ignorant--- not only about the religion they are trying to convert--- but about their own as well. Luckily, they seem to be having much success only among the less educated hill tribes.

Archived