Replacing sliding gate wheels

Anthony5

As the title says, I want to replace the wheels from my sliding gate.

Now to give you an idea, my gate is 2 meter high and 9 meter long, and has about 5 cm spacing between ground and gate.

Impossible to get a car jack under it, and impossible to lift, so how do I replace the wheels?

My gate is of similar dimensions but I can easily lift it off the track, it's not that difficult. Once raised up by a couple of inches put a block underneath and replace the wheel sets, Global House sells them. Yet you say impossible to lift, is the gate solid or does it consist of bars?

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

My gate is of similar dimensions but I can easily lift it off the track, it's not that difficult. Once raised up by a couple of inches put a block underneath and replace the wheel sets, Global House sells them. Yet you say impossible to lift, is the gate solid or does it consist of bars?

So can I.

But the OPs gate seems much wider than mine.

Maybe you need to find a strong man to help.

And yes just shift some wooden or concrete block underneath and let it down slowly.

Be careful!

Don't work with the gate moved out far to minimize potential risk.

Make sure it can not topple under any circumstance.

Make sure no unwanted persons/animals near.

Better don't work alone.

I managed to topple mine by moving it completely out (for some other work).

Fortunately just killed a small tree and little injury to me (I could jump away) and the dogs were not around.

My wife was not happy.

Since then the gate has a slight curve/bend.

:whistling:

"move out far": maybe unclear what I mean.

Keep it in a almost/half open position.

Don't move it near the close position.

As the title says, I want to replace the wheels from my sliding gate.

Now to give you an idea, my gate is 2 meter high and 9 meter long, and has about 5 cm spacing between ground and gate.

Impossible to get a car jack under it, and impossible to lift, so how do I replace the wheels?

FIL just replaced mine. 600b for 2 wheels and I held it up till bolt came out and he replaced wheel.

I have the same problem as it is hard to get quality wheels

Here is how I do it-----
I take a block of wood about 3 or 4 inches on all sides, I place the block about 6 inches from the gate
Then I use 2" x "4 inch piece of wood about 4 or 5 foot long to use to lift the gate
Easy peasy
First just loosen the bolts so when gate is raised you can easily take out old and put new

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

42 minutes ago, augustwest said:

FIL just replaced mine. 600b for 2 wheels and I held it up till bolt came out and he replaced wheel.

Are 20" wheels or so, because here in Pattaya 2.5" wheels with enclosed bearings are 75 Baht.

Two men on both ends maybe couldn't lift that gate, but two men on one end will almost certainly be able to raise one end, especially if a fulcrum or lever is used - do one set of wheels at a time, you don't need to raise the entire gate in one go.

If that's Shera on both sides that's one heavy beast, but a lever will work.  I made a 215cm gate, 130 centermeters high and put Shera boards on one side with 5cm between them, like a picket fence.  When it was done, I could lift it but was glad that it had rollers so that I could wheel it to the installation site.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Don't try and lift it direct. Use the world's simplest machine (a lever) to multiply your available force. You only have to move it enough to take the weight off the wheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

I would be looking at the quality of those 75 Baht wheels.

Don't really know what to look for to determine the quality, but they have the enclosed bearings while the cheaper ones have the bearing balls visible, and are the only one I've seen around.

If you have a tip where to buy please let me know.

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Two opposing wooden wedges will work fine to take the weight enough for the wheel replacement and makes it a one man operation

Capture.PNG

Can you elaborate a bit more on that please?

I know what's a wedge, but I have no idea how to apply opposing wedges.

15 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Are 20" wheels or so, because here in Pattaya 2.5" wheels with enclosed bearings are 75 Baht.

There are 500 Baht stainless steel wheels (3") available in Pattaya (e.g. at "homeWorks" on Suk).

Don't ask me whether they are worth the extra price.

75 Baht is the cheapest stuff.

Will rust quickly, require much attention.

Best is to do exact measurement and take pictures before shopping.

Many variants,

I am convinced that these type of SS wheels would work for our gate.

stainlessgate247_12.jpg

I0602469.jpg

But what's the difference between the two above?

4 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on that please?

I know what's a wedge, but I have no idea how to apply opposing wedges.

Get 2 x 4-6" wide wooden wedges, place a wedge on one side of the gate underneath the rail and from the opposite side fit the other wedge then hammer them together equally. As the wedges slide together they will naturally lift the gate rail on top of them

When the wheel is free from the floor then replace it and knock out the wedges again with a hammer

Using wood means you wont damage anything and can make them yourself quite easily

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

SS gates use a different rail than iron gates from my understanding so might want to make sure they will work - believe need a higher level track for SS.

My rail is actually a 9mm rebar. I don't feel like I want to go to the extend of replacing that "rail".

I also don't know sure if the wheels are faulty. The gate is normally opened by a motor, but since I'm fixing the wiring I have removed the motor for the past week and open the gate manually.

Sometimes it it needs a bit of force to open, but last night did it rain, and today the gate rolls much easier.

The rail is always kept clean for the past week, so that can't be the issue.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Best is to do exact measurement and take pictures before shopping.

Many variants,

I am convinced that these type of SS wheels would work for our gate.

stainlessgate247_12.jpg

I0602469.jpg

But what's the difference between the two above?

The difference is that one has a V-shape grooved wheel, where the green one has a rounded groove.

Tony

Sounds like your wheel just need lubrication.

The gate being easier to move when wet is a giveaway as the water temporally acts as a lubricant.

Give this stuff a try. Available from HomePro Thai Watsadu and the like. If you cant find that particular make any silicone lubricating spray would do. 

Use the spray tube to get right into the bearings on both sides of the wheel.

Gate Wheel Spray.jpg

:)

my lovely wife managed this procedure with some help when I was away at work once...the sliding action is now real smooth and no one was killed, I'm told...she assembled the gate from individual shophouse railings when we joined the three units...

no wonder she thinks that I'm worthless around the house...

Pack the bearings with grease before you put them on, sure that they purposefully leave them dry so that you have to replace them after a short time! with grease in they will last for years :)

"Sprays" will work for a short time, when the fluid dries the bearing will be even drier! grease will keep them rolling!!

A word of advice/caution. Spraying bearings that already have grease in them may well wash the remaining grease out of the bearing and make the issues worse than before.

No expert here but if bearings have grease that is dried out than they need repacking not a spray wash.

with an intermittant sliding operation rather than a continous high speed rotating action bearing lubrication should hot be a consideration...talkin' about roller skate wheels here that can handle a bit of low load friction...

gonna start talkin' about lube oil cooling systems next...flushing procedures and particle count criteria, etc...

Archived