Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

1 minute ago, gmac said:

With more than one residence, if you were to alternate weekly between two, it sounds like you would have to spend most of your time in immigration registering your arrivals and departures.

Exactly! Many foreigners who live and work in Bangkok also have weekend homes in places like Pattaya and Hua Hin. Following the rules would mean twice weekly visits to a police station to report.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, zakk9 said:

Exactly! Many foreigners who live and work in Bangkok also have weekend homes in places like Pattaya and Hua Hin. Following the rules would mean twice weekly visits to a police station to report.

I hope they were smart enough to buy homes close to the respective immigration offices. Of course, with all that money, one presumes they'll just send the driver or maid to make the report so what's the problem?

1 minute ago, zakk9 said:

Don't follow the rules then. Pay the fines and whatever else comes with it......like the refusal to renew your retirement extensions etc. 

I would really like all western countries to start reciprocating these immigration laws so that Thai's face the same BS that we have too. Also prevent them from buying land in western countries too ! Trouble is, the western governments are too PC for that ! 

25 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I like that they pictured on the desk the most important piece of office equipment at Immigration...the ATM card reader.

No, that's actually a blood pressure monitor, which is even MORE appropriate.  

It ought to be facing the poor foreigners whose blood pressures certainly spike during these visits.  :omfg:

3 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Don't follow the rules then. Pay the fines and whatever else comes with it......like the refusal to renew your retirement extensions etc. 

For people with a work permit and a Thai family, not following the rules is usually not a good idea, although in this case, it may be the only realistic way. Again, this is something that will mainly affect those who live an honest life here.

4 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Exactly. These people who complain about complying with the immigration rules in Thailand are too much...do they really think the laws are for their convenience? The laws are for keeping track of alliens who are residing in The Kingdom...not to facilitate their stay in it.

OK, I live in a condo that I own. 

Suppose I go to a hotel in Bangkok for a week (which will report at Bangkok).

When I arrive home to Jomtien, am I supposed to immediately report my arrival to immigration?

Really?

Are condo owners REALLY doing that?

Are condo owners REALLY being fined for NOT doing that?

1 minute ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Exactly. These people who complain about complying with the immigration rules in Thailand are too much...do they really think the laws are for their convenience? The laws are for keeping track of alliens who are residing in The Kingdom...not to facilitate their stay in it.

The question is not if it's convenient for me or not, but to what degree it makes the work I do for a Thai company more complicated and/or more expensive. While this country (BOI mainly) actually does a lot to streamline procedures for foreign workers, much of it is counteracted by Immigration both centrally and in certain provinces.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I live in a condo that I own. 

Suppose I go to a hotel in Bangkok for a week (which will report at Bangkok).

When I arrive home to Jomtien, am I supposed to immediately report my arrival to immigration?

Really?

Are condo owners REALLY doing that?

Are condo owners REALLY being fined for NOT doing that?

I would not do it.. but I would just risk the fine.. it would be too much work every-time. 

32 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

What's confusing you...if you're a genuine tourist, the hotels, guesthouses, landlords, and flop-house managers/owners are responsible for doing the reports. It has nothing to do with your arrival card. If you're here long-term, it means be at the address you used on your visa extension application and/or most recent 90-day Report.

Been in my house 9 years, have a yellow book, all my in and out cards have the same address......Mrs.Trans was fined cos SHE never went to immigration to tell them l lived there...

I assume most people in my scenario are NOT doing that and IF immigration wants to enforce that on condo owners living in their owned residences, it would be appreciated if they CLEARLY communicate that to the thousands of people here in that situation. Saying we don't expect it would be very much appreciated too ... fat chance that'll happen! 

so, one does an around the country Rail/Bus trip - I hope thse new SIMs can switch to Roaming...

last time in LOS<

stay 1 night at swamp,

stay a night in SriRacha

travel and book for 13 nights in the one hotel (L.K.) in Pattaya.

While still with Hotel in Pattaya,

we sacrificed (wasted) about 6 of those nights, concurrently; 

with a 2 nights with SIL in Bangkok

another 2 nights in MaeKlong

then more travelling, with 2 more nights with cousins on KohSiChang

We only ever signed officially for the 13 nights Pattaya,

but hey! it was all paid for and occupied by the 2 of us, and then ( for the 6) only by our excess luggage,

but it was still our room for the Pattaya duration...

hey what the heck! I can play their silly game - and next time I'll write ALL the addresses planned for,

BTW, it is lucky - that I can write VERY small

Oh! I forgot;

we, after Pattaya completed,

we then did 2 more night with BIL in Bangkok

and 2 more with a different SIL in Bangkok,

and don't forget the last night was again at Swampy

This notification is a Contract by all counts,

which means there will be a lot of small print for them to chew on

It is all a game - so - Play The Game

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Been in my house 9 years, have a yellow book, all my in and out cards have the same address......Mrs.Trans was fined cos SHE never went to immigration to tell them l lived there...

How did they get hold of Mrs Trans to fine her?   Did she go with you to immigration for some report or did they visit you at your home?

After soon retirement, I had planned on staying on in Thailand and travel the country extensively.  This tightening up on keeping track of foreigners' meanderings is certainly putting the kabosh on that.  Think I will revise my plans to travel in other SE Asian countries and give them my tourist dollars.  They seem just a bit happier to welcome us. 

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Everything makes sense when you understand that this country is run by children, for children.............bless.

passifier.gif

We must have been separated at birth.

I've always said Thailand is a country full of 5 year olds.

4 minutes ago, gmac said:

How did they get hold of Mrs Trans to fine her?   Did she go with you to immigration for some report or did they visit you at your home?

Went for an extension, they said if they came to our house it would have been 4000bht, we said been here years, always filled in address on forms and have a yellow book......800bht and a smile...Receipt given..

Yes all here are treated like children because those in control don't have a clue and don't talk to each other....Pisses me off when I think of Thai folk in the UK are taken care of in every way....

5 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

They must have it in for you  :ph34r:

Don't think so....If anyone's paperwork is not present they will take your money....This is LOS, take your money...

They even know I am a TPV in my area for years....Makes no difference if cash can be taken......

5 minutes ago, jerojero said:

30,000,000 tourists a year and all are filing TM30's?

Did you get to the part where they fined a guesthouse manageress for not reporting a guest? Hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and flophouses are responsible for reporting tourists staying at their establishments...not the tourists themselves.

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, if I am registered at my current residence through my 90 day reports and I go to the beach for a weekend, do I have to re-report my return home???

Of course you have to, like it or not

I went to the Tesco food court for lunch and they properly registered me at the KHAO KHAA MOO food stall. But then when I went on to have my "Blizzard Choco chip lek" dessert at the Dairy Queen on the first floor, they refused to register me, and immigration was already waiting for them to get their 1.600 Baht share of the action

Archived