Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

OK, I live in a condo that I own. 
Suppose I go to a hotel in Bangkok for a week (which will report at Bangkok).
When I arrive home to Jomtien, am I supposed to immediately report my arrival to immigration?
Really?
Are condo owners REALLY doing that?
Are condo owners REALLY being fined for NOT doing that?

I'm in that position, except the condo I've owned for 8 years is in Bangkok and I visit Pattaya regularly. I've never completed a TM30 and in doing annual extensions, 90 day reports and re-entry permits, I've never been asked for one.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I dont have to go and visit the relatives.  We always stay at least a week.  Sorry darling cant go as I'm  registered at our family home and if I get caught away from here I'm  in deep poo.  Have a nice time say g'day to the family for me.  I'll be ok.

30 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

yep so if your a Thai get caught doing wrong 500 Bht forniegn ply four time when will the double pricing stop we should pay same

Its a serious offence for a farang to visit thai relatives and stay overnight

20 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

It's all about Money, Money, Money in this country.

They just never stop trying  to bleed us Law Abiding Farangs Dry.

I'm also inclined to think that this rule is merely designed to allow farangs to be charged an extra 1600B for no valid reason, and without them being able to tell in advance whether they are transgressing the law or not.

Some may not care about this but I dont think that immigration deserve 16 satang of mine, let alone 1600B.

Own condo in Jomtien and signed lease in Bangkok so not to hassle with tm30 and potential problem for gf. Yet these immigration brain trust types only can handle one place of residence. I use address, and spend most time, in Jomtien (and immigration soo much closer). I have belief immigration in Bangkok not quite so intense on looking for a way to skim us for more cash than here. Made me think of Firesign Theater album "How can you be two places at once when you're nowhere at all?"  or something like that....

Although it is inconvenient for many, it is hard to object to them applying the law in this case.  However, since foreigners account for only a tiny percentage of residents in the Kingdom, wouldn't it make more sense to start off by fining Thais for not residing at the addresses they are registered at?  How many of us know Thais who actually live at the addresses on their ID cards and tabien baans?  Since the vast majority of crimes are committed by Thai citizens, the fact that most citizens fail to re-register whenever they move residence must make police work unnecessarily complicated. 

In addition, all foreigners on visas other than tourist or transit visas are legally required to  be registered in a yellow tabien baan (blued if there are permanent residents).  It would make sense to enforce that law, after explaining it to the district offices that refuse to issue yellow tabian baans, and then fine foreigners and Thais alike for not residing at their registered addresses.  Finally landlords should be legally obliged to permit tenants to register in tabian baans at the address of their rented properties.  That would remove a big obstacle to getting in a tabian baan where one lives and might also scare more landlords into paying tax.

3 hours ago, RedQualia said:

General consensus among those dealing with this that I've talked to or seen discussions of here on TV seems to be that a new TM30 is only required when one leaves the country and returns, and they appear to be operating on that assumption. OK... I assume that the at least most of the various hotels will notify immigration when you're staying in their facilities. Does it then just somehow "default" to the TM30 one files on behalf of oneself? So then what if I go visit family out in the hinterlands for a few days? Notify immigration/local police department, or not? New TM30? Does it replace the previous TM30 in that case? Must I race around to submit yet another TM30 upon returning to my home? And/or, if I/we have to do all this, how about making the tools to do it all available online?

My understanding is that you must register any change of address within 24 hours, even if you are returning to a previously registered address. Not doing so leaves the property owner open to a fine of 1600B. As a property owner I am concerned that I may be exposing myself to this fine but not re-registering my own address every time I return from abroad or return from a night spent in a hotel somewhere (not that either happens at all often). This is not because I cant afford 1600B but because I have several million better things to spend it on.

So I would like a clear explanation in black and white as to what is required across the entire country, and I would also like a straightforward way of doing what is required. Filling in an incomprehensible and badly-written form and depositing it by hand at some office that might be hundreds of km away from where I live is not a satisfactory solution.

3 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Own condo in Jomtien and signed lease in Bangkok so not to hassle with tm30 and potential problem for gf. Yet these immigration brain trust types only can handle one place of residence. I use address, and spend most time, in Jomtien (and immigration soo much closer). I have belief immigration in Bangkok not quite so intense on looking for a way to skim us for more cash than here. Made me think of Firesign Theater album "How can you be two places at once when you're nowhere at all?"  or something like that....

Same here. Own condo in Jomtien and signed lease in Bangkok. I'm mostly in Bkk during the week as my son goes to a school there but I am in Jomtien most weekends.

Do you report to both Chonburi and Bangkok immigration?

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I think I will forward this idea onto UK immigration so they could consider chasing and fining all Thai nationals not staying at their registered UK address. They would brush it off without thought, however, as they have more pressing things to do, like catch REAL criminals, chase down drug hoards and not being a pithy annoying big brother, but I feel compelled to nonetheless. 

And what are the requirements for Thai nationals to have a registered UK address - perhaps you could have let us know as you appear to b the expert. 

Mind you, perhaps you should read the immigration rules - I doubt many Thai nationals in the UK would fit the requirement criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-10-registering-with-the-police

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Same here. Own condo in Jomtien and signed lease in Bangkok. I'm mostly in Bkk during the week as my son goes to a school there but I am in Jomtien most weekends.

Do you report to both Chonburi and Bangkok immigration?

My lawyer says I shouldn't answer that question....

So how do I sit legally here. I come to Thailand from time to time, never with a plan. I stay in my own home, at my sisters, sometime at my brothers, maybe a short time room with the wife if the kids are occupied, then where ever else we fancy staying when we travel about. Where do I sit within this code 1979 and 1998. 

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm in that position, except the condo I've owned for 8 years is in Bangkok and I visit Pattaya regularly. I've never completed a TM30 and in doing annual extensions, 90 day reports and re-entry permits, I've never been asked for one.

Many are in that exact same position, including me. All my paperwork is above board and in order, according to everything I have ever been told to do. No one has ever complained to me on any of my five yearly visits (one extension, four reports) to immigration that I have not filled in a TM30.

But the problem is not what has happened over the last x years: it's what will happen tomorrow. Apparently people are now being fined 1600B for doing no more or less than they have done for years. I would like to avoid that and to do so a proper explanation of exactly what it required is necessary. They should pull their fingers out and provide it.

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, if I am registered at my current residence through my 90 day reports and I go to the beach for a weekend, do I have to re-report my return home???

This is absolute idiocy. :post-4641-1156693976:

At least time goes by and it gives a chance to harass and get some extra money out of foreigners. So maybe not so bad at all. Seen from a Thai-perspective it is properly a great rule and makes perfect sense although few normal logical-thinking people would understand it. 

5 minutes ago, damo said:

So how do I sit legally here. I come to Thailand from time to time, never with a plan. I stay in my own home, at my sisters, sometime at my brothers, maybe a short time room with the wife if the kids are occupied, then where ever else we fancy staying when we travel about. Where do I sit within this code 1979 and 1998. 

Wow! You are moving around and leaving your place of registration? Crazy criminal you are! 

1 hour ago, maxisrael said:

Same for me after 12 years fined 1600 Baht !!!!!!! we find out while extending of stay spouse visa now another piece of paper stapled in  my pasport.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Been in my house 9 years, have a yellow book, all my in and out cards have the same address......Mrs.Trans was fined cos SHE never went to immigration to tell them l lived there...

These 2 examples show exactly what the current government is up to and how welcome we are in this country.

49 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Stop Complaining we are guest in their country Fellow the their rules and be happy

Easy to say when it doesn't affect you 50 times a year!

Ive advised it before but we all need to be tagged with GPS anklets that prevent any stray drifting.  These could be fitted on as you receive your visa stamp at immigration and the lock unfastened on exit.  If taser like charges were implanted in the device Thai immigration could taser anyone who violated their restricted zone.  They could come in attractive colours to help promote Thainess.

Archived