Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Is that a blood pressure monitor on the desk, in the photo, lol

lie detector  machine , if eyes a bulging and veins a throbbing they hook you up to the monitor and wait for you to stroke out .....

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Ive advised it before but we all need to be tagged with GPS anklets that prevent any stray drifting.  These could be fitted on as you receive your visa stamp at immigration and the lock unfastened on exit.  If taser like charges were implanted in the device Thai immigration could taser anyone who violated their restricted zone.  They could come in attractive colours to help promote Thainess.

A GPS butt plug might appeal to some more so than an ankle bracelet.  At least it won't clash with your socks.

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Still unclear how immigration finds them, if they aren't at their registered address and the homeowner hasn't registered them. Anyone know how?

I think it is a unique use of that blood pressure machine that does it, unique up on them?

They are simply deliberately creating laws that cannot be abided by. In essence they are saying we are not interested in having "good guys," we'd rather make law breakers out of everyone, including your Thai citizen friends and family so that we can collect  fines. Not that that is a new thing but rather the same old same old and really the way laws are viewed as a whole and always have been here, as simply ammunition for someone to use to take advantage of someone else. 

The problem I have with all of this is that, in some cases, as with the issuance of bans on people coming back to stay in Thailand, there seems to be this contradictory attitude that, "well, you can't come back because you don't respect our laws and cooperate. This is our country and we have a right to put limits on how long you can stay here, and if you don't respect our laws and country enough to abide by visa and immigration requirements, you aren't welcome back."  I fully agree with that, but in essence something always crops up, such as being asked to fill out paperwork at the police station everytime you venture out, which indicates that they are completely disinterested in whether you comply or not and seem to feel you are a bad guy no matter what you do. Essentially it is all about paying fines not about helping the country manage the situation with all of these foreigners living here and sadly I'd bet that that insight would be completely lost on the majority of these guys talking about good guys in and bad guys out.

I do not want to be some kind of invasive presence in Thailand and  as a guest I would like to respect the laws and wishes of my hosts. Unfortunately, there are some, such as immigration, who seem, by creating absurd laws that cannot practically be abided by and by not making immigration rules and regulations consistent and clear  or even vaguely uniformly enforced, to be saying in essence, "we don't care if you abide by rules or not, let's see you try and abide by this, wise guys!"

Essentially, once again, they are making a mockery out of the notion that anyone of us would be well intentioned enough to want to cooperate and actually be an asset to the country in any way other than coughing up money. And, they are showing that at the end of the day they are more interested in creating pre-texts to extort that money from people and that is all it is, that they are not interested in performing a service to all Thais that they are in a position to be doing which is helping to protect their own citizens from as they put it, the "bad guys" who would be arriving from other countries. Essentially immigration is saying do anything you like, we don't care, being a good guy is nothing more than paying arbitrary fines.

3 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

What explanation is needed...presumebly you're referring to long-stayers with visa extensions of one type or another. It means stay at the address you put down on your extension application and/or most recent 90-day report. What's so hard to understand about that.

What if I'm out shopping when the police come knocking on my door ?  What if I want to go visit phuket for a weekend  ?

Just now, almasy1939 said:

What if I'm out shopping when the police come knocking on my door ?  What if I want to go visit phuket for a weekend  ?

As I recall, Jomtien Immigration is always busy.  Where do the boys find the time for these extracurricular visits?

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I think I will forward this idea onto UK immigration so they could consider chasing and fining all Thai nationals not staying at their registered UK address. They would brush it off without thought, however, as they have more pressing things to do, like catch REAL criminals, chase down drug hoards and not being a pithy annoying big brother, but I feel compelled to nonetheless. 

Well, Thai immigration might be suggested to demand from UK citizens a costly and difficult to get visa for Thailand, as the UK demands from Thais. Every country has it's flaws. 

I am just going through the process of renewing my retirement extension. I have rented this house for 11 months and they failed to register me. 1600฿ fine for them when they registered me for extension renewal.

i am using agent for visa and asked her did  they have to do a new registration next month when I renew my lease next month. She said no while ever I stay at this house. But if I leave Thailand even for one day they have to do again. 

Dont  know about going on holiday in Thailand for a short time. 

They are simply deliberately creating laws that cannot be abided by. In essence they are saying we are not interested in having "good guys," we'd rather make law breakers out of everyone, including your Thai citizen friends and family so that we can collect  fines. Not that that is a new thing but rather the same old same old and really the way laws are viewed as a whole and always have been here, as simply ammunition for someone to use to take advantage of someone else. 

The problem I have with all of this is that, in some cases, as with the issuance of bans on people coming back to stay in Thailand, there seems to be this contradictory attitude that, "well, you can't come back because you don't respect our laws and cooperate. This is our country and we have a right to put limits on how long you can stay here, and if you don't respect our laws and country enough to abide by visa and immigration requirements, you aren't welcome back."  I fully agree with that, but in essence something always crops up, such as being asked to fill out paperwork at the police station everytime you venture out, which indicates that they are completely disinterested in whether you comply or not and seem to feel you are a bad guy no matter what you do. Essentially it is all about paying fines not about helping the country manage the situation with all of these foreigners living here and sadly I'd bet that that insight would be completely lost on the majority of these guys talking about good guys in and bad guys out.

I do not want to be some kind of invasive presence in Thailand and  as a guest I would like to respect the laws and wishes of my hosts. Unfortunately, there are some, such as immigration, who seem, by creating absurd laws that cannot practically be abided by and by not making immigration rules and regulations consistent and clear  or even vaguely uniformly enforced, to be saying in essence, "we don't care if you abide by rules or not, let's see you try and abide by this, wise guys!"

Essentially, once again, they are making a mockery out of the notion that anyone of us would be well intentioned enough to want to cooperate and actually be an asset to the country in any way other than coughing up money. And, they are showing that at the end of the day they are more interested in creating pre-texts to extort that money from people and that is all it is, that they are not interested in performing a service to all Thais that they are in a position to be doing which is helping to protect their own citizens from as they put it, the "bad guys" who would be arriving from other countries. Essentially immigration is saying do anything you like, we don't care, being a good guy is nothing more than paying arbitrary fines.

It's not a new law. Hotels have always had to register foreign guests. It started to be more widely enforced for all "housemasters" after the Bangkok bomb when there was increased pressure to know where foreigners are residing. What seems strange is that doesn't seem to be being enforced at the main Immigration at Chaengwattana. Yet.

Then go after the 'bad guys' (not staying at home, lol) and leave the 'good guys' alone!

Strewth, some days it's like watching a hyperactive 10 year old try to run a classroom.

Never seen that but it seems it could be entertaining.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not a new law. Hotels have always had to register foreign guests. It started to be more widely enforced for all "housemasters" after the Bangkok bomb when there was increased pressure to know where foreigners are residing. What seems strange is that doesn't seem to be being enforced at the main Immigration at Chaengwattana. Yet.

As I recall, the "bombers" bribed their way into the country.  This country must be getting advice from US Democrats as they love to create laws that never solve problems.

Section 37 (re an alien changing address) and Section 38 (house master reporting) of the Immigration Act are straightforward on the requirements if readliterally. Do not know if there may be regulations that allow vatiations but for those bunking at a friends/gf residence overnight there is no need to report unless staying more than 24 hours.

But the heading of the TM28 form reads as if it is only needed if permently changing address or staying in another province for over 24 hours. When we moved from Surat Thani to Phetchabun we gave a TM28 to immigration and they they inferred it was not necessary until they realised that it was a permanent change. They then required a TM30 in which they were most obliging.

Every immigration office/officer can be different but I think most posters are reading too much into the article as mentioned by some previosly.

I think I will forward this idea onto UK immigration so they could consider chasing and fining all Thai nationals not staying at their registered UK address. They would brush it off without thought, however, as they have more pressing things to do, like catch REAL criminals, chase down drug hoards and not being a pithy annoying big brother, but I feel compelled to nonetheless. 

The big assumption is that UK Border control have any idea where anyone is!!! In the rental sector they have pushed it on to the Landlords to vet new tenants and check them for visa status!!! Government employes 1000's of people to do government work and then those 1000's of people think of ways they don't have to do the work and push it back onto Joe Public with threats of large fines if they don't comply....remember the days when HMRC was responsible for doing your tax return!!!

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Well, Thai immigration might be suggested to demand from UK citizens a costly and difficult to get visa for Thailand, as the UK demands from Thais. Every country has it's flaws. 

precautionary measures never hurt anyone. By all means Thailand should make it difficult to get visa as long as the measure adds to the security layer.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Been in my house 9 years, have a yellow book, all my in and out cards have the same address......Mrs.Trans was fined cos SHE never went to immigration to tell them l lived there...

This is where there is so much confusion.Wife and I living at the same address for 9 years in CM went to Imm and as soon as they sighted my yellow book,passport ,Pink ID card,driving licence all at the same address said "no need you are "IN THE SYSTEM' Of course next week she could cop a fine,even Imm Officers are confused.

They have a system ? so why not only do a 90 day report if you happen to move...oh sorry............ logic.

Well, that's where the TAT needs to be corrected. If you take their 30 million tourists and deduct the ASEAN border runners from the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma you will end with possibly 10 million - tendency sinking. 
How much more beating on such rubbish is the average Joe ready to take? I've travelled in Bhutan, North Korea and Mongolia and all those countries, much less frequented than Thailand, never had such ideas of keeping their public servants busy with absolute endless paper rubbish.

This swings back already - and much sooner than the clowns at TAT expected. Too many clowns and not enough circuses. 

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Simply another way of extorting money from foreigners.....

genuine cases will not be changing their addresses just like this. this system ought to be given to chance to see how it works and tweaked thereafter.

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Still unclear how immigration finds them, if they aren't at their registered address and the homeowner hasn't registered them. Anyone know how?

Yes.

In the world you farangs come from they are called Detectives who are dressed in civilian clothes.

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I doubt UK Immigrations is capable of following your suggestion. Judging by the number of criminals that elude the authorities in UK and end up being caught by Thai Police to be sent back to UK or Europe, I doubt they're very successful dealing with the "real" criminals either.

A DEVASTATING new report has claimed that the Government has underestimated net migration from the EU to the UK by at least 250,000 over the last five years.

The report comes as the National Statistician John Pullinger has admitted that the Government has lost track of how many immigrants are pouring into Britain, telling a Commons committee that it is “impossible” to know how many have arrived.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/664688/migrants-britain-eu-impossible-government-numbers-statistics

Does thailand want tourists ? You do everything to push them away. I live here so if i follow wife to home town her brother has to travel 113klms to the nearest city to say i stay with him.....yeh right. We always stop in hua hin for 1 night do they have to report yeh right. Just another way of ripping off foriengers CRAZY

3 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:
4 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

.. registered where / how, actually?   On your arrival card?  Or where else?

And even if you stay the first days at the place on your arrival card, then what happens when you move on from Bangkok to your next destination in the North or South?

This is actually really confusing.   Can they clarify?

What's confusing you...if you're a genuine tourist, the hotels, guesthouses, landlords, and flop-house managers/owners are responsible for doing the reports. It has nothing to do with your arrival card. If you're here long-term, it means be at the address you used on your visa extension application and/or most recent 90-day Report.

I agree with your posts OMG but find it interesting that you don't mention the TM 28 or TM30.

This is how I think it works:-

Regardless of what you put on your arrival card as soon as you spend a night anywhere, your details must be given to Immigration within 24 hours and as you say:-

the hotels, guest houses, landlords, and flop-house managers/owners are responsible for doing the reports and they have a facility to do this online.

If however, you choose to stay at some other establishment, like with a friend or rellie, then the house owner of where you stay must make a TM30 report within 24 hours of your arrival there. It doesn't matter if you are a tourist or a long timer. If staying in your wife's house, I suggest that the husband makes sure that a report is files cos he will have to pay any fine when all is said and done.

Having said that my local Imm only need a report after we have left the country and returned.

They have even agreed that my wife can make a phone call to them so we don't have to trek miles to deliver the report.

Furthermore, if we go on holiday and stay in hotels, the hotel make their usual report(s).

On return to our TM30 home base, our Imm Office does not require us to make another report or phone call.

Best to check with your own local Imm Office and get their clarification because, as we all know,

every Imm Office (and/or Officer) make their own rules, there seems to be no definitive national standard.

The only real problem is what to do if you stay with a friend or rellie for a night or more outside your changwat.

Most unlikely that you would be found out, therefore we take a chance and risk a fine.

I should add that my wife had no idea about TM-anything and said I was talking rubbish but on a trip to Imm for my retirement ext, I took a TM30 and we all discussed it and they used the TM30 to create another form and we came to the phone call agreement.

We had successfully got away without a TM30 for three years.

However, I read on TV that now some Imm Offices do check at 90 day report time and renew ext time and if there was no TM30 then fines may be handed down.

So perhaps best to get the TM30 sorted before it creates other troubles in addition to a fine?

Archived