Shaun

MJP

10 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

My eyes were drawn to the brim of his hat which appears to be the most in focus/contrasty, so rather distracts from the face.

I have inspected at 100% and the eyes as well as the glasses are in perfect focus. My only issue is with the brightness of the top of the hat.

I don't know, but I think he means that you put the focus on the hat when looking at the picture. When I look the guy in the eye my eye goes up to the top of the hat all the time and it is like I have to concentrate to keep me FOCUSED on the eyes and glasses. But I think it is because of the bright top of the hat

I like it!

My only comments would be,maybe crop in a little tighter,from the top right.The sharp contrast between the top of the hat and the dark background is just a little too much for my taste.Would of also reduced the clarity with the sharpening of the brim (high pass filter?).It,to me makes the image too much about the hat and kinda takes the focus away from the main subject.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, MJP said:

Hardly abuse. People don't come here anymore because there's no sense of humour.

He was trying to give you constructive criticism. And as you see others have said nearly the identical thing as he did. Maybe you can get off of the very tall horse you seem to be riding and view things from the level of mortal men, then you might be able to respond in accord with the quote you yourself put with your posts, "A few kind words costs nothing." There is humor with kindness and there is humor that is cutting....
He said, "... the brim of his hat which appears to be the most in focus/contrasty, so rather distracts from the face." He didn't say it IS the most in focus, as you seem to have misinterpreted him to say - " I have inspected at 100% and the eyes as well as the glasses are in perfect focus."
At any rate, I felt similar in regards to the brightness and seeming focal point of the hat brim. I wonder how it would look if the top was cropped all the way down to just above the brim of the hat and then relieve some of the contrast from the brim as well. But even as it is already, it's a good photo. Just some minor tweaks can improve nearly anything.

Archived