Trump's shocking crude comments on women leave him reeling

rooster59

Trump's shocking crude comments on women leave him reeling

JULIE PACE, Associated Press
JONATHAN LEMIRE, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump reeled Friday under revelations of shockingly crude comments he made about women, dangerously undermining the Republican's latest attempts to steady a presidential bid at risk of imploding.

Trump tried to head off some of the damage by issuing a statement apologizing "if anyone was offended" by vulgar remarks captured on a 2005 tape and made public Friday. In the recording, obtained by The Washington Post and NBC News, Trump describes trying to have sex with a married woman and brags about women letting him kiss and grab them because he is famous.

"When you're a star they let you do it," Trump says. "You can do anything."

He adds seconds later, "Grab them by the p----. You can do anything."

The one-sentence response from the head of Trump's Republican Party was devastating.

"No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever," said Reince Priebus, who had stood by Trump through his past provocative comments.

Other Republicans, painfully aware of the possible impact on their own political fates, were quick to chime in. New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte, who is locked in a close race, called the comments "totally inappropriate and offensive."

Trump's running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, was "beside himself" and his wife was furious, according to a person familiar with their thinking. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to share the private discussion.

In public, Pence ignored questions shouted by reporters in Rossford, Ohio, where he was campaigning with his daughter.

"Access Hollywood" said an Associated Press story about Trump's lewd behind-the-scenes comments as star of "The Apprentice" led it to dig through its archives and turn up the previously un-aired footage from 2005. It was recorded during a bus ride while Trump was on his way to tape an episode of the soap opera "Days of Our Lives."

Trump's Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, seized on Trump's quotes, calling them "horrific." She said in a Twitter message: "We cannot allow this man to become president."

But she had her own problems with revelations.

The WikiLeaks organization posted what it said were thousands of emails from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, including some with excerpts from speeches she gave to Wall Street executives and others — speeches she has declined to release despite demands from Trump.

The excerpts include Clinton seeming to put herself in the free trade camp, a position she has retreated from. In a talk to a Brazilian bank in 2013, she said her dream was "a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders."

Trump strongly opposes current U.S. trade deals and insists Clinton is too cozy with Wall Street to reform it.

Friday's revelations came two days before Trump and Clinton are to meet in Sunday's second presidential debate, with the Republican urgently in need of a strong performance. After his uneven showing in the first contest, public opinion polls have showed Clinton pulling ahead in nearly all battleground states, some of which are already in the midst of early voting.

There were plenty of other problems for Trump on what surely was one of the worst days of his two-year drive for the White House.

His advisers planned for him to spend a quiet Friday preparing for the debate and meeting with border security officials. But the day was quickly consumed by a series of controversies, including Trump's unsubstantiated claim about immigrants in the U.S. illegally voting in the election and his questioning the innocence of five black teenagers exonerated in a 1989 rape case.

Then, there were new signs of unusual links between Trump and Russia. For the first time, the U.S. publicly blamed the Russian government for hacking the Democratic National Committee and accused Moscow of trying to interfere with the American election. Diplomats also told The Associated Press that Russia had lodged a formal complaint with the United Nations over a top U.N. official's condemnations of Trump.

Also in the mix Friday: New questions about the Trump campaign's finances. With roughly a month until Election Day, the campaign has yet to schedule the $100 million in television advertising that his campaign boasted about just two weeks ago. The campaign has just half that amount scheduled, and late this week shifted ad money around rather than increasing its overall investment, suggesting a bit of penny-pinching even as the clock winds down.

While Trump has survived numerous controversies that would have sunk other candidates, Friday's developments came at a crucial moment. Less than five weeks from Election Day, he needs to expand his support and is struggling in particular with minorities and women.

The unearthed video of Trump's 2005 comments can hardly help with female voters.

On the tape, Trump is caught on a live microphone while talking with Billy Bush of "Access Hollywood." The candidate is heard saying "I did try and f--- her. She was married." He also uses graphic terms to describe the woman's body and says he frequently tries to kiss beautiful women.

In a statement after the tape was revealed, Trump called his comments "locker room banter" and a "private conversation that took place many years ago."

"Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course — not even close," he said. "I apologize if anyone was offended."

Trump is to appear at an event Saturday in Wisconsin alongside Priebus and House Speaker Paul Ryan, a lukewarm supporter. The AP asked several Ryan aides if the speaker still planned to appear, but as of Friday evening none had responded.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-08

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to be the one to have to break it to these women, but 93% of men say these things about women when there're among themselves (the other 7% are gay and say the same things about men but the body parts are different). As Trump said, it was "locker room talk." Your shock and horror is misplaced, and if such talk is a real concern of yours, you need to have a talk with your own husbands, boyfriends, and sons who talk about women in the same way when you're not around.

And keep in mind,  we're electing the president of the most powerful country in the world...not a church choir director.

8 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I hate to be the one to have to break it to these women, but 93% of men say these things about women when there're among themselves (the other 7% are gay and say the same things about men but the body parts are different). As Trump said, it was "locker room talk." Your shock and horror is misplaced, and if such talk is a real concern of yours, you need to have a talk with your own husbands, boyfriends, and sons who talk about women in the same way when you're not around.

And keep in mind,  we're electing the president of the most powerful country in the world...not a church choir director.

You're right that some men talk like this in private...except they're not running for President.  Look, it's obvious that hardcore Trump supporters--particularly older men such as yourself--are not going to be bothered by this.  But there are large portions of the electorate, read women, who will be immensely offended by this.  We're talking suburbia housewives, religious women, educated women, Republican women, millennial women, etc.  It's not looking good for Mr. Trump.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You're right that some men talk like this in private...except they're not running for President.  Look, it's obvious that hardcore Trump supporters--particularly older men such as yourself--are not going to be bothered by this.  But there are large portions of the electorate, read women, who will be immensely offended by this.  We're talking suburbia housewives, religious women, educated women, Republican women, millennial women, etc.  It's not looking good for Mr. Trump.

He made the comments over 10 years ago when he was a fixture in the whacky reality TV world and not running for president. The comments will probably attract as many people as are put-off so a net neutral. 

54 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

He said it 10 years ago when he was a fixture in the whacky reality TV world and not running for president. The comments will probably attract as many people as are put-off so a net neutral. 

In your dreams.

2 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

He made the comments over 10 years ago when he was a fixture in the whacky reality TV world and not running for president. The comments will probably attract as many people as are put-off so a net neutral. 

Are you watching CNN this morning?  The Trump campaign and his surrogates are imploding, they don't know how to defend him.  A bunch of high ranking GOP dudes just came out to blast him.  And just out, Trump was just disinvited from that Wisconsin GOP lovefest tomorrow.  It seems Paul Ryan doesn't even want to be on the same stage as Trump. 

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

In your dreams.

I think ACTIONS like voting for the Iraq war and being responsible for the disaster in Libya are more importan than the off-the-cuff comments of a private citizen to an entertainment channel reporter about women over a decade ago. I guess this just shows the priorities of the social justice warriors.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Are you watching CNN this morning?  The Trump campaign and his surrogates are imploding, they don't know how to defend him.  A bunch of high ranking GOP dudes just came out to blast him.  And just out, Trump was just disinvited from that Wisconsin GOP lovefest tomorrow.  It seems Paul Ryan doesn't even want to be on the same stage as Trump. 

I'm not responsible for the actions of these girly-men...they need to grab their balls (if they've still got any) and make the arguments I've set forth.

"Bill said worse on the golf course"   ha ha, chortle, ha.  The guy's a hoot.   Just don't let him get anywhere near my stepdaughters. Though I teach them; if any guy puts a hand where he shouldn't put it, knee him hard in the groin.  He'll be out of commission for at least 3 minutes, enough time to scoot far away.   Trump deserves a collective knee in the groin from all the women in his campaign staff.   .....and I hope all the women and men get paid in advance, because (judging from T's modus operandi) Trump will not likely pay them their last paycheck.

4 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

In what orifice will you take him?

Seriously tho, would you want that man hanging out with any attractive 15 to 25 year old ladies?   Your daughter?  

18-25 is ok...if it's their choice...isn't that what feminism is all about...letting women make their own choices freely in life? Are you somehow against this...you want to somehow limit women's choice of partners?

7 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

In what orifice will you take him?

Seriously tho, would you want that man hanging out with any attractive 15 to 25 year old ladies?   Your daughter?  

Is there any post where you don't make some crude sexual reference...like what's your problem?

OMGinPattaya

Not sure if you are an attention seeker but you have redefined 'low' in terms of the depth people stoop to. Sometimes the best defence is say nothing.

By the way re your post number 2 above,  I am not gay and I have never spoken about women like that.  I see why you like Trump, kindred spirits and all that ;)

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

Trump says what he says, bill ACTUALLY committed adultery on "Hill" but hey semantics right?

It's on record that Trump boasted about 'doing' all the attractive women in Manhattan. He says he likes married women best (or maybe they're the easiest to seduce, by just placing a hand on their individual pussies).   Compering Bill's seductions with Trump's is like comparing a post hole digger with a backhoe.

5 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

"Bill said worse on the golf course"   ha ha, chortle, ha.  The guy's a hoot.   Just don't let him get anywhere near my stepdaughters. Though I teach them; if any guy puts a hand where he shouldn't put it, knee him hard in the groin.  He'll be out of commission for at least 3 minutes, enough time to scoot far away.   Trump deserves a collective knee in the groin from all the women in his campaign staff.   .....and I hope all the women and men get paid in advance, because (judging from T's modus operandi) Trump will not likely pay them their last paycheck.

So I take it you have never, in your life, spoken in a locker room fashion? 

But wait yeah I get it he's running for president and therefore OMG 

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

Trump says what he says, bill ACTUALLY committed adultery on "Hill" but hey semantics right?

I think ACTIONS like voting for the Iraq war and being responsible for the disaster in Libya are more importan than the off-the-cuff comments of a private citizen to an entertainment channel reporter about women over a decade ago. I guess this just shows the priorities of the social justice warriors.

You two better take another look at that tape. It's not just locker room banter. He is boasting about having been able to sexually assault women and get away with it because of his wealth and power.

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

You two better take another look at that tape. It's not just locker room banter. He is boasting about having been able to sexually assault women and get away with it because of his wealth and power.

Sexually assault? 

So if he brags about easy women its sexual assault? 

9 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

OMGinPattaya

Not sure if you are an attention seeker but you have redefined 'low' in terms of the depth people stoop to. Sometimes the best defence is say nothing.

By the way re your post number 2 above,  I am not gay and I have never spoken about women like that.  I see why you like Trump, kindred spirits and all that ;)

Ok I get it...you're very proud of your Hillary Card, or whatever she was handing out awhile ago, and proudly show it to all your friends every chance you get. And kuddos to you for being a perfect politically correct social justice warrier ever since you were a little boy...even while playing on the primary school playground no doubt.

(in response to CNN reporters' latest reporting). . . . . 

I'm not responsible for the actions of these girly-men...they need to grab their balls (if they've still got any) and make the arguments I've set forth.

There you go again, Trump fans knocking the messengers while trying to stuff the message.  The cat's out of the bag.  Brace yourselves for more toothpaste that you can't stuff back in the tube.  It would be interesting to hear Marla Maples speak out, but she's not legally allowed to.  She's one of thousands of people who know Trump well, who are under legal gag orders.  Trump is like a one-man gag operation.   But when there are such a shitstorm of bad things out there, even Trump with his bevy of high prices lawyers, can't put a lid on everyone and everything.   I bet he woefully regrets not putting gag orders on the former Miss U, or on Schwartz, the man who wrote 'The Art of the Deal' ....who calls Trump a psychopath who will possibly use nuclear weapons vindictively.  

1 minute ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Ok I get you...you're very proud of your Hillary Card, or whatever she was handing out awhile ago, and proudly show it to all your friends every chance you get. And kuddos to you for being a perfect politically correct social justice warrier ever since you were a little boy...even while playing on the primary school playground. 

Not got a vote in the game and not a Hillary supporter, try again. I also do not try and defend the indefensible. This guy is running for POTUS This is nothing to do with being 'perfectly politically correct', it is to do with standards. You don't seem to have any.

8 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

No, these women were trading their sexuality for economic benefits (also called "dating")...kinda like Megyn Kelly, and all the other little Foxies at Fox News. If any of them felt they were "assaulted," they could of made a police report, which they didn't, because it was consensual contact. Kuddos for trying to spread the Democratic talking points on the non-issue though.

Archived