Goski´s Guess The Location Thread

goski

Hello!

Since people are busy with hashing, book clubs, cooking lessons, mountainbiking and de-earthing worms I guess that you also have a fair bearing of different spots in CR. So, I decided to start a thread where you post a picture from Chiang Rai and anyone who knows the location may answer.

The person who gets it posts a new one, easy.

Sadly, you don´t get any beer vouchers but you get to keep your dignity for recognizing something else than a fridge on Jetyod Rd.

I start with a link because I already posted the picture I wanted to start with. Where did I take this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=13366

(I did search the forum for a similar thread but since the posts dated back to 2005 already on page 2 I decided not to care)

/G

Edited by goski

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was actually a similar tread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66990

What a great picture, Goski!

So Joel is supposed to be next, but I don't think anybody would be upset if somebody else would show a picture in the mean time.

If possible of the same quality :o

Limbo :D

Ah, I missed that thread! I don't even think I had moved back to Chiang Rai at that point. Hopefully this thread lives longer than two pages :D

So, at least one picture a day would be nice and in order to save this day I post a (in my opinion) quite easy one. On what road do you find this guy during mornings and afternoons? Explaining the location without the name of the street is also ok.

post-24806-1164848002_thumb.jpg

There was actually a similar tread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66990

What a great picture, Goski!

So Joel is supposed to be next, but I don't think anybody would be upset if somebody else would show a picture in the mean time.

If possible of the same quality :o

Limbo :D

Ah, I missed that thread! I don't even think I had moved back to Chiang Rai at that point. Hopefully this thread lives longer than two pages :D

So, at least one picture a day would be nice and in order to save this day I post a (in my opinion) quite easy one. On what road do you find this guy during mornings and afternoons? Explaining the location without the name of the street is also ok.

Maybe well of the money here but I am guessing Pattaya noy?

ITR :D

Dear Goski, is it possible to give up on this one?

My guess is the Singhaklai Road, not far from the Sala Klang Kao (the old colonial style building).

But I think he was standing at the Suknirand Hotel as well before.

Do you mind if I put an easy one inbetween?

Limbo :o

post-6305-1164935539_thumb.jpg

Dear Goski, is it possible to give up on this one?

My guess is the Singhaklai Road, not far from the Sala Klang Kao (the old colonial style building).

But I think he was standing at the Suknirand Hotel as well before.

Do you mind if I put an easy one inbetween?

post-6305-1164935539_thumb.jpg

Mae Fah Luang University. At the top looking down.

ITR :D

This one is too easy Goski!

It's almost offensive easy, so you won't hear from me that it is the temporary stage next to the Saen Phu Hotel opposite the temple of the Chiang Rai Chinese community.

BTW: Does anybody know what is going on there the last days? You see permanently whole convoys of Chinese 'ambulances' in and around town.

Are they collecting funds to set up a new ambulance service in Chiang Rai?

Would be a good thing!

It might eventually stop these cowboy ambulances, stealing everything a victim of a traffic accident is carrying on him/her (money, gold, watches, mobiles, yes even Buddha amulets), as they at least have minimum requirements for their staff.

Not a clue, but a very good pic.

There is this strange "temple" or house i do not know what it is, opposite easy bar you can turn in to this small soi wich brings you to the street were Appy plaza is located, in the soi at your left hand side is some sort of house "temple"

anybody knows what this is?

Well that was so tremendously extremely mind bogglingly easy that I almost started to cry (I am drying my tears as I write). :D

So, since we are going a bit outside of town I contribute with a picture you probably don´t have to choke on your khao soi for being too easy :o

post-24806-1165028682_thumb.jpg

Not a clue, but a very good pic.

There is this strange "temple" or house i do not know what it is, opposite easy bar you can turn in to this small soi wich brings you to the street were Appy plaza is located, in the soi at your left hand side is some sort of house "temple"

anybody knows what this is?

You are very close Erg!

The building you describe is erected by the same Thawan Duchanee (speak Dutch to him when you meet him: at the end of the sixties he studied two years at the Rijksakademie in Amsterdam).

I think Goski made it too difficult this time. At least he could have shown us the heads of the Naga's.

My suggestion is to finish off one location at a time otherwise there will be several pictures going on at the same time and people will lose interest. Just a tip.

Regarding my picture, any cultural connoisseur will be having a nervous breakdown if you can't guess it with these two additional pictures of the same place (read wat).

Regarding the elephant camp picture, yes, that is what it is. I don't remember the name of the it so that's up to someone else.

post-24806-1165055356_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1165055375_thumb.jpg

Dear Thaising, please .... :D

The nice thing is that you don't see these enormous Coca Cola billboards anymore.

Last year they had installed about twelve of them all directed towards the point from where you took the picture. I was very happy to see them removed; It looked terrible, they would have dominated any picture taken. Now at least it gives the impression of being a (Karen) village.

But the local marketeers of Coca Cola did worst at Pattaya Noi: Some years ago a gigantic Coca Cola billboard was set up against the mountains opposite the Mae Kok River. A real eye-sore.

The worst billboard however was the one at Hi Yek (King Mengrai): The KFC General Sanders bigger and above the portrait of His Majesty the King. Many Chiang Rai people were very angry about it.

No, I won't tell where it is. This is a question for the newbies :D

Dear limbo, the picture was taken two year ago when I had a good dipped in the hot spring further down the road.

It's good to know that the advertiser has bring down the billboard or else it just spoiled that nice scenery from where I take the shot.

That's the only clue I can only give out. :D back to you limbo :o

No, you have to go north east of Chiang Rai. We're in the province but a different Chiang.

OK Goski, there is a beautiful temple on Mae Nam Khong just 10-12 km east of Chiang Saen. Wat Phra Tat Pha Ngao or something like that.

A very big temple on top and a very beautyful totally different one on the road down. That one is not more than 6-8 years old and when we were there last time there was a very nice, very interesting and very good in english speaking monk there.

Good views!