Ajarn Forum closed?

Loaded

I just visited ajarn forum (not ajarn dot com) and received this message:

"Ajarn Forum has now closed for the foreseeable future. Thank you to all posters, moderators and sponsors for your support over the years."

I first joined around 2000. I remember before TV and the teaching FB pages that that was the only place to go for Thailand teaching news and chat. However, it had become an openly hostile place during the last couple of years haunted by nasty trolls.

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

I first joined around 2000. I remember before TV and the teaching FB pages that that was the only place to go for Thailand teaching news and chat. However, it had become an openly hostile place during the last couple of years haunted by nasty trolls.

In 2010 another forum opened its door. ThailandTeaching dot Asia and provides good information on the teaching profession in Thailand. 

No great loss if indeed it is the case. ...gave up on it several years ago, troll central.

3 hours ago, aidenai said:

In 2010 another forum opened its door. ThailandTeaching dot Asia and provides good information on the teaching profession in Thailand. 

Excellent place to find info , agreed.

I checked last night. It came without any warning. There was a lot of negative trolling by certain people but even some of those same people gave sound advice for the novice teacher. I have no idea why it had to close I noticed that it was based in Singapore and seemed to be making money according to the online website stats.

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

forum structural failure due to troll fatigue?

The rest of the site is still up, jobs etc, so still earning cash whilst not having to deal with the problems of moderating retard posters, can't blame the owner really.

That is a totally different website, owned and run by totally different people - as was explained on the home page of the forum website.

That site almost makes this one look legitimate.  Kind of like the boiler room businesses  in Chiang Mai, seemed to have a heavy Canadian influence (an overlay,, perhaps).  Many working with fake degrees and no future  back home (as if they even had a home).  Just a microcosm of the Thai TEFL industry, complete with fakes, frauds, paedos, and people on the run.   Good riddance.

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Is he living in Thailand or what does he do for a living ? Let me guess , English teacher .  

Doesn't matter what his job is...That forum provided info for folk who were into the forum subject...

9 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Why?

So that long-term posters (not all of whom were trolls, hackers and fake degree holders), including cluezo and myself, might have been able to record and exchange some final thoughts, memories and goodbyes.  Louis has been in the UK for many years now, presumably he doesn't need the (ever-dwindling) income any more.  A pity.

2 hours ago, paully said:

So that long-term posters (not all of whom were trolls, hackers and fake degree holders), including cluezo and myself, might have been able to record and exchange some final thoughts, memories and goodbyes.  Louis has been in the UK for many years now, presumably he doesn't need the (ever-dwindling) income any more.  A pity.

I meant, why did he shut it down?

Sorry Lemon.

From his FB comments, it looks as if Louis just didn't care any more rather than it being an action in response to some legal claim or hacking attempt. So who knows?  Maybe it wasn't worth enough for him to sell.

I was a member from the start. I remember it for the freedom of speech. Some of the great posters back then were Panhunger, DJ Pat, Neeranam, Poolcleaner, Bangkok Phil, LDMA etc. There were a lot of idiots too doing those stupid link word threads to increase their post count. There was even what are did you eat for breakfast or what are you listening to. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2016 at 8:40 PM, Johnniey said:

I was a member from the start. I remember it for the freedom of speech. Some of the great posters back then were Panhunger, DJ Pat, Neeranam, Poolcleaner, Bangkok Phil, LDMA etc. There were a lot of idiots too doing those stupid link word threads to increase their post count. There was even what are did you eat for breakfast or what are you listening to. 

Nice to be remembered Johnniey. When I first got here in 2002, ajarn forum was something I turned to for information, then enjoyment and ultimately an avenue to meet people. It was great for a long time but it constantly splintered and the in-fighting became too much. A lot of the long term posters became the worst trolls. Bit sad. PC

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I am glad the trolls have lost that forum. I actually had a guy I upset,because he was trolling somebody else, post Youtube videos of my house etc that he had edited on the site. I complained, but they said it was public property. I explained that he had edited and manipulated it, but they seemed to think that was fine. My only problem now is that the same gang of trolls (is there a name for that) will end up here.

• 3 weeks later...

It represented a certain aspect of Farang culture in Thailand - like my development was "Stickman",  then "Ajarn", then "Thai Visa". "Stickman" is still very much alive, albeit in an attenuated form; Thai Visa is very strong. The demise of Ajarn heralds a change in the Farang Thai culture. At a guess I would say that native speakers are no longer seen as the be all and end all; globalisation has taken its toll, and globish has become the new template; and being a native speaker doesn't necessarily give you any advantage. The people want to be understood by their colleagues in India, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc., etc. . As well as the guys in the UK and USA. 

13 hours ago, nausea said:

It represented a certain aspect of Farang culture in Thailand - like my development was "Stickman",  then "Ajarn", then "Thai Visa". "Stickman" is still very much alive, albeit in an attenuated form; Thai Visa is very strong. The demise of Ajarn heralds a change in the Farang Thai culture. At a guess I would say that native speakers are no longer seen as the be all and end all; globalisation has taken its toll, and globish has become the new template; and being a native speaker doesn't necessarily give you any advantage. The people want to be understood by their colleagues in India, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc., etc. . As well as the guys in the UK and USA. 

That's a staggering comment; staggering because it's difficult to imagine anyone thinking that way.

The demise of ajarn is a result of the rise of alternative gossip platforms such as Facebook and Reddit plus the complete lack of effective moderation. 

It had been dying a slow death. The mods, who had been there forever, ran it like a fiefdom, completely oblivious to the needs of "teachers" and turning a blind eye to everyone who disagreed with the original users from way back.

Good riddance to them all.

Archived