Ajarn Forum closed?

Loaded

On 10/10/2016 at 7:18 AM, aidenai said:

In 2010 another forum opened its door. ThailandTeaching dot Asia and provides good information on the teaching profession in Thailand. 

+ 1 A great website for teachers from teachers without trolls. 

In 2010 another forum opened its door. ThailandTeaching dot Asia and provides good information on the teaching profession in Thailand. 

Unfortunately, it seems to be run and oft used by people who should be studying English, not teaching it.

22 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It had been dying a slow death. The mods, who had been there forever, ran it like a fiefdom, completely oblivious to the needs of "teachers" and turning a blind eye to everyone who disagreed with the original users from way back.

Gosh, I've never experienced that sort of behavior elsewhere

• 4 weeks later...

The above named url is not very good. I recommend that all users avoid this teaching website.

Its duly noted that this thread is likely to be sponsored by thailandteaching.asia. Its easy to spot an amateur website seeking free adverts on tv.com

The above named url is not very good. I recommend that all users avoid this teaching website.

Its duly noted that this thread is likely to be sponsored by thailandteaching.asia. Its easy to spot an amateur website seeking free adverts on tv.com

I know you're clueless about the air pressure of pickup truck tyres but you're also clueless about teaching websites. Let alone the teaching profession in Thailand.

I'm clueless about the best air pressure for my pickup if I have a full load in the back of my pickup plus 2 adults and a child. Whats the best PSI? 

Should I top up /check the air with all the stuff loaded in the back or do it before hand? Or doesn't it matter. My pickup is 2 yrs old and thus probably should think about replacing them in 2017. 

thanks

3 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

what a load of B.S...

Its full of trolls

Have you ever heard about the freedom of speech? It's not fair when people make statements about something they obviously have no idea about.

10 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Have you ever heard about the freedom of speech? It's not fair when people make statements about something they obviously have no idea about.

Thailand does not have freedom of speech and any site operating in Thailand does not enjoy that privilege.   In addition, the laws on libel and defamation are extraordinarily strict in Thailand.   If you say something about someone that is defamatory, even if it is true, you can end up in a lot of legal trouble.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2016 at 8:41 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

That site almost makes this one look legitimate.  Kind of like the boiler room businesses  in Chiang Mai, seemed to have a heavy Canadian influence (an overlay,, perhaps).  Many working with fake degrees and no future  back home (as if they even had a home).  Just a microcosm of the Thai TEFL industry, complete with fakes, frauds, paedos, and people on the run.   Good riddance.

Spoken like a true ajarnforum troll.  Were you on that site?  What was your handle?

• 3 weeks later...

I first tried a forum in 2005.  There were only two trolls that I can remember. One was a super-troll who gave EVERYBODY a bunch of shit. Another was stark raving mad.

I stumbled onto Thailand Teaching in late 2011, trying to get help understanding my TCT TKT scores.

It was another year before I even knew Ajarn Forum existed.  "Liveliest discussions" the board self-described.  That was a polite euphemism for "vicious trolls" and those trolls carried on to the bitter end. Some were really were bad news, spreading misinformation that could really have negatively impacted anyone naive enough to believe them. All must have had seriously defective lives.

I mention all this now because Thailand Teaching shut down last week.  I just became aware of it an hour ago.

I haven't seen a thread about this, so I guess I'll start one.

Screenshot from 2017-07-13 22:27:49.png

1 hour ago, MRDave said:

These sites are dropping like flies.

Yup. As long as teachers hold a university degree, a TCT temporary teaching permit can be obtained for a maximum of 6 years (latest regulations). When you get a temporary teaching permit, you'll get your extension of stay (Immigration) and your work permit (DOE). All worry-free. Unless you have family in Thailand, foreign teachers generally don't stay longer than 2 to 4 years in Thailand. Because of little info is needed to work legally, Facebook groups give sufficient though sometimes superficial information. No need anymore to set up and maintain an individual discussion board. 

I'm a black sheep. 

I have a Thai wife.  And, two of her relatives are willing for us to adopt their daughters.

I have a license.  With TTA's help I navigated the TCT TKT.

I will still miss TTA.  Fortunately, TV is also wealth of info. Unfortunately, Stamp is a hard act to follow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 3:47 AM, puanddavid said:

Thank goodness TV doesn't have any nasty trollsemoji1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It has/had one really annoying one, though.  That's not bad for such a large and helpful forum.

Where did all the boat people from AF wind up?

As challenging as it was towards to the end to really get anything out of that forum, it's been a loss not to have a 'go to' place like that for Thailand teaching chat. I was an active member from 2005 through 2013 or so. Along the way I learned a few things about teaching and Thailand, networked and and met a lot of good people through the site, and had some pretty good laughs. 

There's so much more out there now and I'm part of a much larger-scale online community of teachers spread through social media and blog networks, etc....but there's nothing quite like the *niche* that forum developed/developed out of. 

On 8/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, gunghang said:

It has/had one really annoying one, though.  That's not bad for such a large and helpful forum.

Where did all the boat people from AF wind up?

That other famed forum that seems to be on it's last legs as well.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old dead thread.  

I had a love/hate bout with AF.  What I liked about it was the fact, and the reminder, it represented real life, as I know it.  Like any community I've ever known the forum consisted of 10% <deleted>, 20% disconnected near-sociopaths, 20% raving rednecks, and 20% authentic professionals.  The remaining punters were lunchbox Bobs who fell in love with their first piece of ass, too ugly to get a date back in England. 

The site worked as a distraction from the riggers of living and working with Thais.  Some Thais were okay, about 10%.  Being smiley and polite in public has no real value for me when in reality you're an ignorant racist <deleted> out of earshot. 

Any frustrations felt came from the inability to slap some of those lame cyber warriors across the face.   

Luis was a dick, prolly still is.  I liked his misses though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived