Why is Thailand better than your Home Country?

NoshowJones

Apart from the obvious like the weather and living expenses, what makes Thailand better than your home country?

For those of you who live here, it must be better here or you would not make Thailand your home. So give us your reasons why.

Also, let's hear from those of you who live here part time, come here for your holidays, or are seriously thinking of moving here permanently.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the obvious as you mentioned The Weather....which for me is fantastic...

If you have the Financial,Resources, like myself it's five star living, which back home I would still have a better than average lifestyle....but much prefer Thailand.

I do find the Thai People very friendly and nice, very rarely meet anyone rude or nasty with me...

Excellent Customer Service in Restaurants and Shops.....

Fantastic variation of Exotic Fruits and Vegetables, all be it with Pesticide or not ??

at the moment it works for me......

29 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Apart from the obvious as you mentioned The Weather....which for me is fantastic...

If you have the Financial,Resources, like myself it's five star living, which back home I would still have a better than average lifestyle....but much prefer Thailand.

I do find the Thai People very friendly and nice, very rarely meet anyone rude or nasty with me...

Fantastic variation of Exotic Fruits and Vegetables, all be it with Pesticide or not ??

Excellent Customer Service in Restaurants and Shops....

You mean the service is better in Thai restaurants and shops? I thought that was one of the very few downsides

in Thailand compared with my home country.

"For those of you who live here, it must be better here or you would not make Thailand your home."

This might be true for some people but for me it isn't. Financial circumstances keep me here. My partner has a very good contract to be here that actually pays as much or more than the west would. We are looking into leaving at some point but given the uncertain global economy are riding this gravy train for as long as we can stand it. 

I am not Thai bashing or complaining but think the question might be better phrased as "Do you feel Thailand is better than your home country?" The current way it is phrased assumes people like it here more.

Though it could be said that the opportunity to save money here is a positive and is the reason I am here and not in my home country at the moment. It looks like we will probably do 5 years here and let the savings pile up and then head home with our nest egg. 

5 hours ago, anotheruser said:

"For those of you who live here, it must be better here or you would not make Thailand your home."

This might be true for some people but for me it isn't. Financial circumstances keep me here. My partner has a very good contract to be here that actually pays as much or more than the west would. We are looking into leaving at some point but given the uncertain global economy are riding this gravy train for as long as we can stand it. 

I am not Thai bashing or complaining but think the question might be better phrased as "Do you feel Thailand is better than your home country?" The current way it is phrased assumes people like it here more.

Though it could be said that the opportunity to save money here is a positive and is the reason I am here and not in my home country at the moment. It looks like we will probably do 5 years here and let the savings pile up and then head home with our nest egg. 

You make good points, but I believe the majority of ex pats who live here, do so because they think it is

better than their home country, I think that applies mainly to the UK ones.

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You make good points, but I believe the majority of ex pats who live here, do so because they think it is

better than their home country, I think that applies mainly to the UK ones.

Yeah probably or at least you would hope so. My situation ii sort of unique I guess.

I don’t spend my time making comparisons.  All I know is that I am still happy with the choices I made at twenty-three, which sent me down this life path.  Thais also do this competition thing, trying to elicit complimentary comments about Thailand being better than someplace else.  It is not that I don’t like other places, it is just that I have made this place my home and I have no particular reason to leave this wonderful life for some questionable notion of the grass being greener.

And then the Band played IMG_2984.PNG.62627a8eb340563c12c71208a9d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you said besides the weather but the sun all year round is a major factor. No aching bones from the cold.

The children are generally better behaved.

I can afford to eat out a lot more than the UK.

The 5 star experience is much cheaper and better than the UK (Yes I like being a weekend millionaire)

The choice of different restaurants and foods. basically in the UK where I am from you have Indian, Chinese, Keebab and lucky if you get an Italian.

The vets are so much cheaper for my dogs and they come to the house.

The dentists are so much better with the service and price.

I could go on.

I'm here for work and Bangkok was chosen for me - but I think it depends on how long you've been here?

In the first few years I thought the heat was wonderful - compared to my home country where it's 12'C and drizzling rain every f@#$%&* day!

But after 8 years the heat becomes normal and a bit of a nuisance when I walk, run, bike.

I grew out of the bar scene after about three weeks - so that's just background noise.

But being able to get great Thai food for such a low price never gets old.

And the street markets are fun ....... or rather they were fun.

57 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I know you said besides the weather but the sun all year round is a major factor. No aching bones from the cold.

The children are generally better behaved.

I can afford to eat out a lot more than the UK.

The 5 star experience is much cheaper and better than the UK (Yes I like being a weekend millionaire)

The choice of different restaurants and foods. basically in the UK where I am from you have Indian, Chinese, Keebab and lucky if you get an Italian.

The vets are so much cheaper for my dogs and they come to the house.

The dentists are so much better with the service and price.

I could go on.

Is a Keebab another one of your many Immigrants ?, ive heard of the other 3.

No damn camera's everywhere here (rural Thailand), UK there is a camera and copper waiting to pounce at every opportunity. couple that with the Tax on tax on tax at every opportunity, Thailand is far more "free" to do what you want without constantly having to "apply" for permits/licences etc.

In Thailand, its pretty much "up to you" how you choose to live.

21 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Is a Keebab another one of your many Immigrants ?, ive heard of the other 3.

Actually I really like Keebabs, lamb of course. If you are being funny. 55555. Sarcastic 55. But 'one of your many immigrants' just makes it sound ignorant.

Back to the OP's question.

Being able to buy tailor made shirts and suits at considerably less than my home country.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No damn camera's everywhere here (rural Thailand), UK there is a camera and copper waiting to pounce at every opportunity. couple that with the Tax on tax on tax at every opportunity, Thailand is far more "free" to do what you want without constantly having to "apply" for permits/licences etc.

But LOS won't let me work...Am brill at flipping burgers and have an angels voice...:stoner:

with so much going wrong on a daily basis here...

it kind of makes me appreciate my situation... like constant reminders.

also i find the work/life balance here better than where i'm from.

i made about 6 times more back home... but i'm at least twice as happy here..

and i think happiness comes first..

don't get me wrong.. it isn't as cheap as it used to be here... so compromises need to be made.. but.. same goes for anywhere else in the world i suppose.

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Much greater intrusion and presence of Police / Army in Chiang Mai compared to London.

In truth i am in Thailand most of the time because of the women and because i have good friends here. I beleve he country is regrettably deteriorating, friends are leavng one by one and i do not foresee a long term future in Thailand.

It's refreshing to live in a place where strangers still aren't afraid to talk to each other and acknowledge each other's existence.  Back home, everything can be about what you own rather than what kind of person you are.   

It's also true that every place has it's good and bad points. 

In my case ( Thailand  is not a better country) but life is more exciting and interesting and intriguing and stimulating and I am more than happy enough and content to stay here....Amen

Besides...I  do not like to fly anymore...so I guess I am stuck here...sort of....lol

Cheers

Seeing siblings and families showing  compassion for each other and caring. I know not everyone but I see this more here than in the UK, as an example and I think it is nice.

Families sitting down and eating together a lot more often.

Thriving and bustling markets early in the morning.

People walking for exercise before its light in the mornings.

Supermarkets that don't close on a Sunday at 4pm.

Just a few more things that I like here.

Archived