Why is Thailand better than your Home Country?

NoshowJones

Well I just got tired of messing with a bunch of ugly fat ungrateful hogs in the west. Here they give you a great smile even if they have nothing to do with you. Back home if you just glance at them they give you the look, and its not a nice look. These people are nice, male and female. I have a great girlfriend here, I come and go as I please and so does she. Try that back home. When I go home to visit I pay zero attention to the western women unless they say Hi to me, which would rarely happen if you don't know them. The weather here is a minus not a plus in my book. Three seasons, hot and rainy, hot and dry,  very hot and humid. The people more than make up for that. The food is worse here, the golf is worse and more expensive, the fishing sucks, but again the people make up for that. I really enjoy meeting people from all over the world here too. All that said I plan on doing six months there and six here until I can't function anymore then its full time there till I die. I do love Thailand

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, au82tiger said:

It's not.  I have been married in my home country twice and divorced, and those were learning experiences.  So in an effort to avoid divorce court in my home country again, I came to Thailand.  I spent a long time testing the waters here, and found someone I feel that I could send the rest of my life with... did a pre-nup... and tied the knot.  I still have my house back home, which I like a lot better than the house I have here, I like the variety of food better back home, I like the prices of vehicles much better, I like the TV much better, I like driving back home much better... but I don't like divorce courts and lawyers back there at all, and I didn't want to have to marry someone that looks her age, or suddenly wants half or MORE THAN HALF.  So Thailand isn't better, but my wife's family is here and important to her and the divorce procedure, if ever necessary, is a lot better pill to swallow, and I never plan to take her back to the old homeland to live permanently because she may run into some ruined "westernized" women that will screw her up!  If it all goes to hell in a handbasket... I'll get on a plane and go home!

Excellent I say, I also have a nice house back home and could pack up at any time. Good on ya man, live the good life.

Not necessarily better, but different. In Hawaii (Oahu) my monthly military retirement pension will almost cover my rent and utilities, in Thailand it pays for everything and I can also put some money in saving each month.

In Perth, I sold my 35yo, 3brm, 1 bath semi-detached unit on 296 sq metres, for $463,500 .

I bought a villa in Phuket with 3brm, 2 bath and a swimming pool on 790 sqm  for the equivalent of $155,000.  After extensive renovations the total cost came to about $200,000. (No costs for building licenses, etc.)

A $250,000 windfall in retirement is a major game changer. Now instead of looking at Senegalese and Pakistanis come and go from the flats over the road, I live on a tropical Island and have a view of farmlands, water buffalo and mountains. (Don't ask about my methods of home ownership here)

Throw in a little brown lady who looks after my every need as my health falters and an Australian sourced income that buys so much more here and I couldn't contemplate returning to live in the old country.

I like the lifestyle, food and weather here and am a rich man in many ways.

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In Perth, I sold my 35yo, 3brm, 1 bath semi-detached unit on 296 sq metres, for $463,500 .

I bought a villa in Phuket with 3brm, 2 bath and a swimming pool on 790 sqm  for the equivalent of $155,000.  After extensive renovations the total cost came to about $200,000. (No costs for building licenses, etc.)

A $250,000 windfall in retirement is a major game changer. Now instead of looking at Senegalese and Pakistanis come and go from the flats over the road, I live on a tropical Island and have a view of farmlands, water buffalo and mountains. (Don't ask about my methods of home ownership here)

Throw in a little brown lady who looks after my every need as my health falters and an Australian sourced income that buys so much more here and I couldn't contemplate returning to live in the old country.

I like the lifestyle, food and weather here and am a rich man in many ways.

If my chums back home saw my house and it's location and what it cost and monthly out goings for it they would be gob smacked.....:shock1:

1 hour ago, transam said:

If my chums back home saw my house and it's location and what it cost and monthly out goings for it they would be gob smacked.....:shock1:

My two best mates just visited, left on Tuesday.  I took great delight in showing them where and how I live. One has now added Phuket (or CM) to his list of potential retirement destinations.

22 hours ago, off road pat said:

In short, both places have there positive and negative things...my wife and I just take the best of both worlds.

^And that is the key to it all. Enjoy both places better parts.

I was just talking to a customer from the US the other day over dinner and he asked me how I like it over here as he said you seem well adjusted and very comfortable. I said "Well being honest I quite enjoy living here. I have no mortgage, no property tax, no car payments, I do not worry about my credit rating, I do not pay Federal, or state taxes. No more SDI or workers comp.  Coupled with that I have an extremely affordable auto insurance that doesn't discriminate on my zip code, age, driving record or state I live in. My phone service is 6x less and no contract. My medical and dental are covered 100% with no deductible and no co pay.  I am no longer paying outrageous income taxes for all the government conveniences that I never use".  I  said "its just an easier life here and for once I get a paycheck that is actually mine and not sent off to the myriad of agencies and businesses to cover my COL." I did follow with "Yes I live without some creature comforts and convenience things I had grown up knowing but they are not really deal breakers as I have quickly adapted to not having them and do not even think about it". "Like anything if you are adaptable and do not fixate on all the different things and call them bad you just live life". "Sure I see some crazy stuff here that would never happen in the states but you know, Its just a different environment and you manage it. Neither place is perfect by any means. But I am enjoying not being part of the Trump/ Clinton embarrassing spectacle. 

On 13/10/2559 at 4:46 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes, but I don't have any buildings immediately at either side of my property, or at the rear.

If there are houses close to each other, then I would think you would need to make sure

that your extensions or buildings are not interfering with any of the neighbours. Thais are very tolerant people, highly

unlikely to complain without good reason.

have a nice weekend...

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM, gemguy said:

Well....secretly ..they are horny and sexually motivated also...but not openly

I am not talking about the sex industry because if it did not exist the fact remains that the women have sexual aspirations also and they also like sex...preferably by way of old world mannerism and courtship ect...in theory...but they do not deny their sexuality...rather do not openly show it or flaunt it ...being prim and proper like.... until lust overwhelms them...like all people...you know.

Cheers

Frankly, I've had better sex and more genuine sex with western women (there was a time, when I was in denial, when I wouldn't have believed I would ever say that).

Although, maybe that's because when I lived back west I was under 21.

I think Thai women are horny (of course), but also very motivated for more. "No strings attached" hasn't really caught on here as much as in the west. Mostly they want a real, commited relationship, or they want compensated, or they don't want to know you.

Yes, I have had a few freebies and giks here, but found it way easier back in the old country.

Sooo, to answer the OP. I don't think Thailand is better than my home country. Some things are better, some things are worse. I can't quite choose. I often wish I had choosen a different country to migrate to and I often love it here. Sometimes I even wish I had stayed in the UK and made a better life there (but in my experience those ideas are expelled after 6 months of being "home")

I think Thailand is a paradise for sex tourists (although better options nearby are available.....Cambodia, South Vietnam, Philippines, or Bali, for example).  Once you are here for good, it becomes the same as anywhere, to be honest.

On 10/13/2016 at 9:41 AM, gemguy said:

Well....secretly ..they are horny and sexually motivated also...but not openly

I am not talking about the sex industry because if it did not exist the fact remains that the women have sexual aspirations also and they also like sex...preferably by way of old world mannerism and courtship ect...in theory...but they do not deny their sexuality...rather do not openly show it or flaunt it ...being prim and proper like.... until lust overwhelms them...like all people...you know.

Cheers

I reckon you've been a prime bird target........:tongue:

One of the things I love about Thailand is you can be having a bad day but when you go outside to walk around you inevitably encounter a smile or a greeting from someone you don't even know. The Thai smile and behavior, for the most part, is so refreshing and a pleasure to be around. In the US, you would be greeted by unsmiling, unfriendly foks who are stressed out and unhappy with their lives. Over here, even though most Thai's don't have much they are friendly and anxious to please. Of course there are exceptions but generally speaking it is much more enjoyable to be surrounded by this culture then Western society.

You can kill some idiot who desperately deserves it and buy your way out relatively cheaply. So the justice system I would say is quite a bargain compared to home. In all seriousness though, the fact you can easily settle most law enforcement issues with a small amount of money. Everybody hates corruption until we are guilty of something.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, off road pat said:

Thailand is not better than my home country (Belgium) but there are a lot of things I can do in Thailand that I could not do in my country...

I spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 in Belgium and traveling in Europe Like somebody said above (a perfect combo).

Thailand has great weather most of the time, living there costs a lot less than in Europe. I drive a modified 4x4 witch I could never drive in my country (because of regulations). I can go on off-road trips for hundreds of km's in great jungles and forests see wonderful landscapes ans animals.

I Can travel around the country from North to South and pay +/- 500 Thb for a room in a resort, guest house....and sometimes had great rooms for +/- 300 thb...food can cost as less than 25 Thb a plate (Pat Thai)...A plate in a Thai restaurant can cost between 50 and 100 thb......My wife and I eat Japanese and Indian on a regular basis in Chiang Mai for +/- 200/300 Thai Bath, The list could go on and on....

There are a lot of positive things I could say about my country to....Excellent Health service, Good reasonably safe roads, Drunk driving is severely punished, Most drivers are Ok, The police is doing there job, ....etc....

In short, both places have there positive and negative things...my wife and I just take the best of both worlds.

Best regards.

I agree with most you say. I live in New Zealand with my Thai partner about 7 months a year and 5 months in the kingdom.

Archived