UK Embassy 'Proof of Income' - Money Order payment option?

Few months off yet but I'm just getting together the forms etc needed for my extension and I notice that on the information sheet regarding the Proof of Income letter from the UK embassy there is no longer any option to pay by money order.  It does say contact us if you want to discuss the 'other' payment option so that might be what's needed.  Seems that they'd prefer you to just simply fill in the CC authorisation form, which I'd be happy to do if it wasn't Thailand!  Really not that keen on having my CC details floating round in the post here, esp once / if it becomes common knowledge that that's what the regular letters to this section might now contain.

Am I just looking in the wrong place or has the old money order info form gone?

I appreciate the OP's concerns, but, based on my experience of paying for my latest income confirmation letter a few months ago with my UK credit card, this method of payment is perfectly safe. In addition to being far more convenient than having to go through all the hassle of getting my local post office to sell me a money order, which, for me, used to be the most stressful part of the annual income confirmation process.

And it is, in my view, considerably less risky than online 90-day reporting given the Immigration Bureau extranet's dodgy security certificate!

• Like 2

Yah. I might just give it a go. Would sure be easier than faffing around. I guess (hope) sending by EMS reduces the chances of the envelope getting opened up en route. I suppose there's the added benefit of the money being debited in GBP (if using a credit card) as it continues its nose-dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have just completed mine   sent cc info but the embassy said not working  ok( that's another story)  options   send bankers draft   did that   reply came back  this draft not acceptable      ok  by this time i was getting a bit short of time to meet im deadline    although   i had left 2 weeks  to do this also 1 week on the im side of things

anyway told embassy i needed letter pronto   they were kind enough to send it without payment issue resolved   got the letter and enclosed  in the envelope was an information sheet reading FROM  OCT 24 THEY WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT POSTAL ORDERS    so really pure misinformation on their behalf   gave me 2weeks grief   i have heard nothing since so i presume the bank order did work  i await their conformation or otherwise

• Like 1

at least you lot can do it by post: Thousands of Aussies have to 'venture' into Bangkok on an annual pilgrimage, to get a Statuory Declaration signed by a cashier!!!!!

If there are any Aussies out there, reading this post,please send a letter to our 'user-hostile' Embassy. I have been at them for 6 months. Their reply:"we are looking into it!"

12 minutes ago, crutchy26 said:

at least you lot can do it by post: Thousands of Aussies have to 'venture' into Bangkok on an annual pilgrimage, to get a Statuory Declaration signed by a cashier!!!!!

If there are any Aussies out there, reading this post,please send a letter to our 'user-hostile' Embassy. I have been at them for 6 months. Their reply:"we are looking into it!"

Same for many other countries. I think the UK may be the only country doing it by mail. There is a way for Canadians to do it but a bit complicated.

A least with most immigration offices allowing the proof to be up to 6 months old a person can plan there trip for it at possibley more convenient time.

It has certainly made it better for me. I have been able to do mine 3 to 4 months early when making a holiday trip with my family for three years now. Before that I was making special trips to Bangkok within 30 days before I planned apply for my extensions.

23 hours ago, SooKee said:

Yah. I might just give it a go. Would sure be easier than faffing around. I guess (hope) sending by EMS reduces the chances of the envelope getting opened up en route. I suppose there's the added benefit of the money being debited in GBP (if using a credit card) as it continues its nose-dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure that a money order would necessarily prove sufficiently secure in the event of the envelope being opened up en route either. If the fraudster was sufficiently determined what would be to stop him (or her) masquerading as an Embassy employee at the Nana Post Office in order to cash it?

19 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i have just completed mine   sent cc info but the embassy said not working  ok( that's another story)  options   send bankers draft   did that   reply came back  this draft not acceptable      ok  by this time i was getting a bit short of time to meet im deadline    although   i had left 2 weeks  to do this also 1 week on the im side of things

anyway told embassy i needed letter pronto   they were kind enough to send it without payment issue resolved   got the letter and enclosed  in the envelope was an information sheet reading FROM  OCT 24 THEY WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT POSTAL ORDERS    so really pure misinformation on their behalf   gave me 2weeks grief   i have heard nothing since so i presume the bank order did work  i await their conformation or otherwise

I gather that our American cousins are now required by their "beloved" Embassy to pay for all consular services by banker's order. Thank goodness the British Embassy have not decided to go down a similar route as a matter of routine: the prospect of spending a "joyful" hour or 2 staring at the floor, walls and ceiling of my local bank branch as a prerequisite to obtaining the necessary order is one which I would relish considerably less than even the effort which I have in the past expended in persuading my local post office to part with a money order!

Edited by OJAS

23 minutes ago, almodeller said:

Can you use rental income from timeshare towards the required 65000 baht per month? and does that also have to be included in the embassys letter

You should be so able, I would have thought, provided that you can provide the necessary evidence in the form of some legal agreement.

I rent out my UK house and provide the current assured shorthold tenancy agreement by way of evidence. In my experience the Embassy itemise pension and rental income in their confirmation letters as a matter of course, in addition to stating monthly and annual total amounts.

For the U.S embesyy they do not require any oroof of the origin on the income you state.

So you could list rental income if you want.

Now for the U.S. income statement be aware however, that if you are using that statement for Thai immigration and for some reason your income is questioned by Thai immigration the U.S. embessy will NOT defend your income statement.

That is because the u.S. embessy income statement is NOT certified by the U.S embessy as to the validity of the income you state before them.

In fact they do not endorse your income statement as a fact.

All the consulate officers verifies is that:

• You appered before them and identified yourself as a U.S. citizen by your passport
  • that you made a cliam regarding your income to them.
  • And that he /she as the consular office acknowledges this by the signatue these facts.
  • And ONLY those facts above.

Th U.S. embessy makes no claim that what you told them was true or valid and therefore they make will not atemprt to defend your figures if the income figures are contested.

24 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I gather that our American cousins are now required by their "beloved" Embassy to pay for all consular services by banker's order.

That is only for the consular outreaches they have in various parts of the country during the year. If doing it at the embassy they still accept cash or credit/debit cards.

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not sure that a money order would necessarily prove sufficiently secure in the event of the envelope being opened up en route either. If the fraudster was sufficiently determined what would be to stop him (or her) masquerading as an Embassy employee at the Nana Post Office in order to cash it?

For me that's not really the point, at least in that scenario the maximum they could take you for is around 2,500 baht.  Not so in the case of credit card details.  All sortable in the end (one would hope), and I'd be much happier using a UK card with the levels of protection offered by Western banks that's for sure, but still some potential grief to sort out if your credit card details are successfully used for a shopping spree.