13 districts in Bangkok were told to brace for possible flooding

webfact

13 districts in Bangkok were told to brace for possible flooding

9a025dd1d5b20b9968581fc35d50cca7-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- The city administration has ordered the Department of Drainage and Sewerage and 13 districts to get prepared to cope with possible flooding and to help affected residents in light of the rising Chao Phraya river.

The city administration held an urgent meeting on Monday with officials from the 13 districts located close to the river and the Department of Drainage and Sewerage to map out contingency plans after the Royal Irrigation Department ordered more water to be drained out of the Chao Phraya and Rama VI dams from 2,000 cubic metre/second to 2,300 cubic metre/second and 600 cubic metre/second to 700 cubic metre/second respectively.

This will push up the water level in the Chao Phraya river and threaten communities along both sides of the river in 13 districts. On top of that, heavy and very heavy rains have been forecast during October 12-15 in some parts of Bangkok by the Meteorological Department, said Mrs Boonsai Keeyapat, assistant secretary to Bangkok governor.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/13-districts-bangkok-told-brace-possible-flooding/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-11

Authorities divert water in effort to prevent Bangkok flooding

THE NATION

30297364-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER General Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday authorities would try to divert water runoff and floodwater to minimise the impact on Bangkok.

The amount of water from the Chao Phraya River passing through the Rama 6 dam was 2,000 cubic metres per second yesterday, with flooding in Bangkok expected if the volume reaches 3,000 cubic metres per second.

Prawit said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had instructed relevant agencies to tackle the flooding issue through allocating budgets, water diversion and storing strategies, and the "monkey cheek" water-retention method in some areas.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Authorities-divert-water-in-effort-to-prevent-Bang-30297364.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-11

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Wasn't it said a few weeks ago that we would never have flooding in Bangkok this year. mmmmmmm. I guess someone didn't go and see the fortune teller. I wonder what he has said to this flooding now? All quiet I imagine.

There is no flooding! Prayuth has told the Thai people that there is no flooding, its just that the water is taking some time to drain..... seriously - he said that last week.  :post-4641-1156694572:... comedy central.

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Who would ever build a capital city on a flood plain that is sinking into the ocean.

When the capital was first established, in 1782, on the eastern bank of the river I doubt that that it's sink rate was either very great or much in evidence.

In subsequent years the city was provided with a comprehensive canal/drainage system that probably coped quite well.

Latterly however, that system seems to have been somewhat neglected and even abused.

Glug, glug, goodbye Bangkok.

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

There is no flooding! Prayuth has told the Thai people that there is no flooding, its just that the water is taking some time to drain..... seriously - he said that last week.  :post-4641-1156694572:... comedy central.

I believe that was Sukhumbhand Paribatra, a few months back. Could have missed the good general repeating the same hilarity.

In 1977 when I first came to Bangkok, there were still klongs on Sukhumvit Road but they wre going fast even then.

I can remember when around soi 36 or so there were small btidges to cross over the drainage Klongs to cross Sukhumvit Road.

Of course they are long gone now, all paved over.

The high rise building are sucking all the water up, and the land is subsiding from the removal of the subsurface water table.

The old klongs that used to help drain the rain water are long gone. and with the ground water being removed and the land subsiding  some areas of Bangkok are now lower than their former natural drainage levels.

it is only the subsurface drainage pumps that keep them dry duting a heavy rainy season now.

When thre is heavy rain during a thubderstorm somrtimes the  pumps simply can't keep up with the sudden surge of water from the storm flow and the low areas flood temporarily.

Iy is all "progress".

Archived