The expression: You can take the girl out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of the girl....

From personal experiences, do you think this expression is 100% true?   I am especially interested in hearing about any long(er) term experience with the same "ex" bar girl.  Mine fizzled after many years for the normal oblivious reasons.  No Pretty Woman - Richard Gear ending For me.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming this is a legitimate question, I'd say more like 90% of the time.  Firstly, a BG would have to be in a pretty messed-up situation to even be in that life.  So she has that going against her.  But if a genuinely decent gal becomes a BG and has only been in the trade for a few days, then she hasn't completely gone to the dark side yet.  After a few months of being in that life, not only the sex-with-many-men-she-doesn't-care-about, but also being around some seriously screwed up people and losing sense of what reality is, then yes, the trade will fry their brains.  Hard to recover from that. 

There must be hordes of Farangs that are convinced that "the Bar can be taken out of the girl", otherwise they would not marry them. Right?

Cheers.

I could just visualise marrying a bar girl then taking her home to meet all the family.

Just living in Thailand you get the odd perv remarks back home. God knows what you'd be called if you married a prostitute !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could just visualise marrying a bar girl then taking her home to meet all the family.
Just living in Thailand you get the odd perv remarks back home. God knows what you'd be called if you married a prostitute !!!!

The real problem is her giving your old uncle a 20 dollar BJ in the toilet at the FAMILY BBQ

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Sometimes the stigma attached to being a bar girl prevents others from giving them the chance to prove they can change . I know a few guys in long term relationships with ex bar girls. 

Personally I think everyone can change and for those thinking once a bar girl always a bar girl I would say that's not the case . I'm sure most men on this site have had their fair share of ladies in their life span .... this would be considered by friends as " a man of the world " but put the shoe on the other foot and the bar girl , whom most have worked in bars out of necessity would be regarded as the lowest of the low . 

I also know guys who have married what they thought were the virgin Mary, only to find out she's the local bicycle . 

My breakdown or it all is no matter who she was or what she was , if your happy and she's happy what's  the problem .

I have an ex bar girl friend from many years ago ,now lives in the UK is married with children has 2 restaurants and is the hight of respectability also know an Ex bar girl who works in an office ,you would never guess what she did before, I also know a British girl who was a hooker for many years in her youth,now in her 50s,and very respectable,again no one else would ever know.
Ps in my younger life I was not the nice married guy I am now, but times change and so do many of us

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Ex bar girls never quit. They just lay dormant..

Sent from my SC-01D using 

U speak of them as almost sub human .... try looking at it this way... Maybe u spent a few years of your life with the boys , having your fun , doing some things you later regretted but later in your life you settled down , as most do . So your really.think everyone who had had a regretful past will always keep in the same loop and  come back and do the same  again regardless of there present situation? 

Utter pish ! Everyone changes and should be allowed to without the stereotypical dirt dished  out. I really hope your own situation is not one of trust for you obviously have none . Live and let live. I'm not a religious person but as that big holy book says " let he without sin cast the first stone"

21 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

But how many guys who marry a bargirl will admit what his wife worked at before she met him?

35 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

I think you missed the point !!
I was talking hypothetically

Yeah lots of people get a laugh from the OP's western comment but many are desperate human beings never the less getting in to that work and many farangies forget that to many Thai people and family's it is classed as work illegal or whatever, in Phili it's worse. 

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

But how many guys who marry a bargirl will admit what his wife worked at before she met him?

A few actually , i know at least 3 guys that are married to ex bar girls , two of them for over 20 years the third has left Thailand with her so i dont know , if i had just stayed a "tourist" and not gone into buisines in BKK maybe i would have married one ,who knows , when i met my now wife through working there i still used to go to bars ,although nowhere as often as i did a few years before and once we started seeing each other then stopped , but to say you can take the girl out of the bar but not the bar out of the girl is crap, as i have said i know some who are now very respectable ,that was then ,this is now .

Yes, I also know expats who are married to ex bargirls, some successfully, but it took a long time before I found out, not that it would matter to me. 

In fact the very first Farang I met when I moved to Thailand (I did not know how the bar scene operated at that time) I asked him where he met his wife, and

he told me in a bar, I really though nothing of it, he then said she was the cashier, I never thought at the time that the real reason was she was a bargirl.

They had a successful marriage up until he died about four years ago.

I can say with honesty, that I have known about 50 or so Thai girls that moved from Thailand to the uk. None, repeat zero are still married to the same guy now. That said, only 50% or so we're bar girls, so the issue is more with Thai women on general than bar girls.

Maybe it's about taking the Thai out of the girl as well as the bar !

Archived