How much time do you spend cleaning camera?

I am preparing to return to Thailand in a week and just sorting my camera bag. I have spent the last 3 hours cleaning my gear which I do every couple of months religiously. I start by removing all gear from my bag and vacuum the bag out. Next I started on the camera body by cleaning everywhere with cotton buds that have been soaked with lens cleaner. I clean everywhere not forgetting places like the battery compartment and any covers. I clean around the mount, you will be surprised how black the cotton bud becomes cleaning here. I use a pencil rubber to clean the copper connectors. Once the body is clean I do the sensor (only do when it requires it). Now it is onto each lens, same thing. Clean all the lens body with cotton bud soaked in lens cleaner then mount and filter threads followed by lens element (usually I don't touch the mount element where possible) and filter (note to self: filters are a couple of years old and showing age, time to think about replacing). I always try to clean lens with dry cloth first but if I need I spray a little lens cleaner on the cloth a lightly rub (never spray lens cleaner directly onto lens coatings). I then have put camera body and each lens into seperate ziplock bags with a silica gel satchet in each one (bought from Fotofile BKK). I have a Silica Gel can about the size of a cigarette packet that is rechargeable by drying in oven which also lives in my camera bag. This is all to deal with humidity and condensation from moving from air-con rooms to outside. My gear cost me a lot of money and well worth the time to take care of it.

Sony A99, Zeiss 16-35/2.8, Zeiss 24-70/2.8, Sony 70-200/2.8G, Minolta 100/2.8 macro, Sony G 1.4x tele convertor.

ps. will do my Sony RX100 today which will not take long

Now I feel guilty! I never clean my gear unless there is obvious dirt, apart from occasional cleaning of the filter on the lens. I do keep everything in humidity cabinets though.

The exception was a few years ago when I shot a motor rally in India. Hot dusty stages, and at the end of the day I took photos of all the winners, and there were a lot of winners, and they were all spraying champagne, or a derivative. When I got back to the hotel I was caked in sticky mud, as was my camera.

3851288113_cca281a566_o.jpgP1030058 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

The only solution was for the camera/lens to join me  in the shower!

The camera exterior never gets a clean, save for a wipe-down if it gets caught in the rain. Front lens elements, I clean carefully, but only when needed. I've had my current camera almost four years ... I've had the sensor cleaned once (about two years ago). But then, I'm careful about where and how I change lenses. I always remove the battery beforehand, so there can be no static to attract dust to the sensor when I open the camera body.

14 hours ago, tangaroa67 said:

The camera exterior never gets a clean, save for a wipe-down if it gets caught in the rain. Front lens elements, I clean carefully, but only when needed. I've had my current camera almost four years ... I've had the sensor cleaned once (about two years ago). But then, I'm careful about where and how I change lenses. I always remove the battery beforehand, so there can be no static to attract dust to the sensor when I open the camera body.

I never used to clean my body until I did a session with a camera tech who was showing me how to clean my sensor. I shoot in a lot of dusty locations and I was amazed how much dirt was in places like the battery compartment, under the LCD screen and under all those little flaps that cover the sockets for remote, USB etc. Try cleaning these areas and see how much dirt is on the end of your cotton bud. I think you might be surprised. All this is a potential source for dirt that could get on the sensor. Same as the bag. How many people vacuum out their bag? Not many I would think but dirt and dust does collect here and it is simple to eliminate. I don't removed my battery before changing lenses but always turn the camera off. I shoot a lot of landscapes with the lens closed down to f14 or even smaller and dust that doesn't show when opened up at f10 or more starts to show. It can't be seen with a naked eye when inspecting the sensor but when I put my sensor loupe over the sensor the dust is obvious. None of us want to be cleaning sensors or mount end elements so a little work in prevention by cleaning all these possible contamination sources is well work the effort. Another good reason is fungus. Fungus just doesn't grow from nowhere. It starts growing on dust particles and keeping everything dust free eliminates places the spores can start to grow.

15 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Now I feel guilty! I never clean my gear unless there is obvious dirt, apart from occasional cleaning of the filter on the lens. I do keep everything in humidity cabinets though.

The exception was a few years ago when I shot a motor rally in India. Hot dusty stages, and at the end of the day I took photos of all the winners, and there were a lot of winners, and they were all spraying champagne, or a derivative. When I got back to the hotel I was caked in sticky mud, as was my camera.

3851288113_cca281a566_o.jpgP1030058 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

The only solution was for the camera/lens to join me  in the shower!

yep that's filthy. In the shower, really?

I use to leave my camera and lenses to Canon at MBK, it takes them from a few hours until the day after depending on how busy they are.

Like FractureRabbit, my camera was covered in mud, sand and dust after having been driving around on dust roads for a few days and I thought the camera was garbage. And FractureRabbit's camera look good on his picture in comparison after having been driving around with the camera around my neck on the country side dust roads

When I got the camera back from Canon I thought they had made a mistake because the camera looked like new. Maybe they had mixed my camera with a new one. But no, it was my camera and lens and what a difference. Would have been worth it even if the camera had not been covered in mud (driving through mus pools with a motorbike) and dust. The whole thing set me back by a few hundred Baht plus taxi.

Well worth every bath.

FractureRabbit, I hope you don't mind me asking about your humidity cabinet. I have been looking for dry cabinets and the ones I have found are all electric. And it would have been very nice if it would not have been for me being afraid of fires. What are you using if I can ask?

I'm planning to buy a safe for my camera equipment and keep selica gel or what they call it in the safe. The reason for me to buy a safe is because I have this idea that it is more airtight than a ordinary locker.

Cheers Rhrthmworx.

I Have never had have any problem with the camera equipment, but I have been thinking about it. And now I realize that it must have been your post that made me think about it. 

And the safe, also protect my equipment from theft. Even though it was a very very very long time ago I woke up with someone I didn't knew.

I was looking at the brand you recommended but they don't ship to Thailand. But I found the same brand available in Thailand and I will buy from them as soon as I have found a good safe. Maybe modify the safe with some rubber gasket to seal it.

I also have many documents that are getting damaged due to the humidity. The paper from the land office or what ever it is called is almost beyond readable after soon 17 years in my book shelf

I have been at home pro and a safe store on Sukhumvit and I have not made up my mind yet. What are you using? And did you buy it here in Bangkok?

Cheers again

Yes, I will compare the pelican and any good safe I can find. Pelican is for sure cheaper than a safe, and more important, not so heavy. A 200 kg safe in the condo and I will always be worried coming home to find the safe in my neighbour's condo under me.

I studied the selica gel and it seems to be a pretty nifty thing.  And just to put in the oven until the gel change colour and reuse it. 

I use to leave my camera and lenses to Canon at MBK, it takes them from a few hours until the day after depending on how busy they are.

Like FractureRabbit, my camera was covered in mud, sand and dust after having been driving around on dust roads for a few days and I thought the camera was garbage. And FractureRabbit's camera look good on his picture in comparison after having been driving around with the camera around my neck on the country side dust roads

When I got the camera back from Canon I thought they had made a mistake because the camera looked like new. Maybe they had mixed my camera with a new one. But no, it was my camera and lens and what a difference. Would have been worth it even if the camera had not been covered in mud (driving through mus pools with a motorbike) and dust. The whole thing set me back by a few hundred Baht plus taxi.

Well worth every bath.

FractureRabbit, I hope you don't mind me asking about your humidity cabinet. I have been looking for dry cabinets and the ones I have found are all electric. And it would have been very nice if it would not have been for me being afraid of fires. What are you using if I can ask?

I'm planning to buy a safe for my camera equipment and keep selica gel or what they call it in the safe. The reason for me to buy a safe is because I have this idea that it is more airtight than a ordinary locker.

I use a couple of cabinets that I bought in Thailand. No more chance of fire than your fridge! Had them for years with no problems.
The problem with silica gel, other than the maintenance(will you always remember?), is that you can't control the humidity level. Too dry can cause mould too. I believe 40-50% is about right.

On 17/10/2016 at 3:59 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

I use a couple of cabinets that I bought in Thailand. No more chance of fire than your fridge! Had them for years with no problems.
The problem with silica gel, other than the maintenance(will you always remember?), is that you can't control the humidity level. Too dry can cause mould too. I believe 40-50% is about right.

Cheers FractureRabbit

Fotofile sell the dry cabinets. And honestly, I'm scared enough leaving my fridge on when leaving Thailand. Just the few last years I have left it on. After seeing some of the wire work around here I don't trust the electricity installations. Also the reason for having 25mm teak floor in the whole condo even though I would like to have stone or clay in the kitchen

But I had a guy to re wire my condo and I bought some equipment in Europe so I can test the grounding/ earth in my condo. It took me some time to discover that I had ground/ earth in the condo as all the grounding/ earth wires was gone or not in use. We installed grounded sockets in the whole condo. 

But my earth fault breakers are releasing all the time

I was meant to have a jacuzzi or what ever they call it but I decided not to have it. Would not fancy sitting on top of 220

But the years are passing by and I get more and more used to it so I might have a look at the dry cabinets at Fotofile even though I like the idea with the silica gel

On 17/10/2016 at 3:59 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

FractureRabbit

Thanks to you I have decided to buy the dry cabinet. I have sent an inquiry to Fotofile for either the Sirui HC-200 Electronic Humidity Control Cabinet 200Lit  weight 36kg or the Sirui HS-260 Electronic Humidity Control and Safety Cabinet 260Lit and 115kg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176881-REG/sirui_hc200_hc_200_electronic_humidity_control.html

1447346198000_1176881.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1151018-REG/sirui_hs_260_electronic_humidity_control.html

1432656722000_1151018.jpg1432655113000_IMG_497908.jpg

I think I will go for the 36kg option as the safe part is not so important. Sirui seems to be a good quality maker, at least what I have found out since I read your post. And I have also learnt a little bit about humidity, and you are right. The silica gel can be problem for you equipment.

But I also learnt that the cheapest way to do it is to take your equipment for a monthly sunbath on the balcony etc. as the UV kills mold

Cheers

11 hours ago, Aladdin said:

But I also learnt that the cheapest way to do it is to take your equipment for a monthly sunbath on the balcony etc. as the UV kills mold

Cheers

Just dont let the lenses get warm/hot as the grease on the helicoids may evaporate/particulate and settle onto the lens elements.

If you can get some almost pure copper pieces (ekectricity wire would be good) and wrap them in a tea towel put it in a clothes dryer for an hour or so untill it gets hot and then seal the copper with the lens in an airtight bag apparently works too.

Some copper based gas is emitted (allegedly) which will kill spores , just dont use coins as theres hardly any copper in them.

1 hour ago, rhythmworx said:

Just dont let the lenses get warm/hot as the grease on the helicoids may evaporate/particulate and settle onto the lens elements.

If you can get some almost pure copper pieces (ekectricity wire would be good) and wrap them in a tea towel put it in a clothes dryer for an hour or so untill it gets hot and then seal the copper with the lens in an airtight bag apparently works too.

Some copper based gas is emitted (allegedly) which will kill spores , just dont use coins as theres hardly any copper in them.

great tip about the copper

Archived