BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sriracha john

Being A Katoey Is A Mental Disorder, Update

UPDATE.... of thread: Being A Katoey Is A Mental Disorder with additional information and update of status

ADMINISTRATIVE COURT

Transvestite sues Army over record

Says record classing him as 'mentally ill' is discriminatory; hinders work prospects

A male transvestite yesterday lodged a complaint with the Central Administrative Court asking for a change of wording in his Army conscription record paper categorising him as being branded "permanently ill mentally" for his homosexuality into something not so discriminatory.

Samart Meecharoen, a sophomore at Ban Somdejchaopraya Rajabhat University, said the term in the record paper had prevented him from making any business deals or applying for any jobs, because he was regarded as legally incapable.

The court received Samart's complaint but has not decided whether it would proceed against three defendants responsible for a conscription event in Lop Buri in April last year: the first is the Defence Ministry, the second the Army Reserve Command. An Army officer, who is head of the provincial conscription centre, and another officer who is a senior medic - are jointly third defendants.

Samart, or Namwan, said he had earlier contacted the Lop Buri conscription centre asking that the term "permanently ill mentally" be altered to another deemed more appropriate, but the senior medic said he could not change it under a new Defence Ministry regulation issued in 1997.

Under the regulation, the term "transgender", which is the closest available to Samart's case, applies to only "candidates who have undergone breast implants or sex change operations". The term "permanently ill mentally" applies to Samart for his "feminine mental characteristics and consumption of female hormones to alter his chest into women's breasts."

After being rejected for part-time jobs, he attempted to apply for on several occasions, Samart said he had undergone a mental health test at Galaya Rajanagarindra Institute and passed it. The document issued by the Institute said that Samart was normal mentally and capable of executing his legal affairs like other ordinary individuals.

In his complaint, Samart said the three officers professional opinions towards his nature were unlawful and they had violated his dignity as a human being.

Before submitting his complaint, Samart was cheered by a number of gay activists who showed up outside the court compound on Sathorn Road including Wiroj Tangwanich, chairman of Rainbow Sky Association of Thailand and former Muay Thai champion Parinya Charoenphol, who had undergone sex change surgery.

- The Nation

UPDATE.... of thread: Being A Katoey Is A Mental Disorder with additional information and update of status

ADMINISTRATIVE COURT

In his complaint, Samart said the three officers professional opinions towards his nature were unlawful and they had violated his dignity as a human being.

What a fantastic example of Thailands legendary tolerance. The people responsible for this should hang their heads in shame :o:D:D

the advantage of the situation that he did not have to waste several years of his life serving in the army.

in his place I would burn publicly the conscription paper - two problems solved

the advantage of the situation that he did not have to waste several years of his life serving in the army.

It's 'she' and 'hers'.

No offence meant.

There was a serious documentary on television this week in my country about an 7 or 8 year old girl who was a boy in reality (for the government and doctors).

She was a lovely girl and knew already since she was 4 or 5 that she wanted to 'cut off' this 'thing'.

It was touching how her mother and stepfather handled her situation and were preparing for the future.

I really couldn't tell she was in fact (still) a boy. It was also heartbreaking how her older brother of 12 talked about her, so sweet.

He talked about his 'younger sister' and hoped she would grow 'fast', becoming 18 so she could change her sexe.

Amazing world and who are we to judge about people, born in a 'wrong' body ?

LaoPo :o

It's 'she' and 'hers'.

No offence meant.

There was a serious documentary on television this week in my country about an 7 or 8 year old girl who was a boy in reality (for the government and doctors).

She was a lovely girl and knew already since she was 4 or 5 that she wanted to 'cut off' this 'thing'.

It was touching how her mother and stepfather handled her situation and were preparing for the future.

I really couldn't tell she was in fact (still) a boy. It was also heartbreaking how her older brother of 12 talked about her, so sweet.

He talked about his 'younger sister' and hoped she would grow 'fast', becoming 18 so she could change her sexe.

LaoPo :D

"Born in the wrong body" or politically correct brainwashing?

Wanting to cut off your "thing" - at any age - sounds like a mental disorder to me. :o

Thai military no longer defines gays as mentally ill

BANGKOK, Thailand: The Thai military said Thursday it will no longer define gays, transvestites and transsexuals as mentally ill, although it insisted they were unfit to be soldiers.

The change comes after a transsexual, Samart Meecharoen, filed a complaint Wednesday with the Central Administration Court, challenging the military's policy as discriminatory.

The new policy will list them as suffering from sexual identity problems.

"To avoid the possible violation of human rights and discrimination, the military will change the term of wording in conscription from being mentally ill to suffering sexual identity problems," said Maj. Gen. Phichai Pinsaikhaew, deputy chief of the military reserve command.

"The military does not mean to discriminate against these people or violate their human rights but we are trying to find the word to show that they are not fit to serve in the military," Phichai said.

Thai men over 20 must report each April for an examination to determine whether they are physically and mentally fit to serve the mandatory two years of military service.

The military said about 5 percent of the people who show up for registration are gay transvestite or transsexual. Those who dress like women are forced to strip off their female outfits and accept certificates of exemption that are stamped "due to mental disorder."

A celebrity Thai-style kickboxer who underwent surgery to become a woman, Parinya Charoenphol, complained on local television after being exempted from the military. Many say the label fuels discrimination and makes it difficult to find work.

Thailand is a Buddhist country where homosexuals, transvestites and transsexuals — those who dress like a woman or get surgery to change their sex — are a regular presence on TV and in movies.

Source: Associated Press - 30 November 2006

It's 'she' and 'hers'.

No offence meant.

LaoPo :D

"Born in the wrong body" or politically correct brainwashing?

Wanting to cut off your "thing" - at any age - sounds like a mental disorder to me. :o

I agree.

That's completely crazy as far as I am concerned.

There are so many 'third' sex individuals in Thailand there has got to be something going wrong with the society some where. I am not sure that it is a mental disorder, but it is certainly a disorder of some sort, either mental or biological.

In my opinion, there's a huge difference between calling it "a mental disorder" - a clinical, psychiatric diagnosis that only properly trained medical doctors should determine - and calling it "suffering sexual identity problems," as the newest announcement indicates.

The complainant is not crazy, if she has been given a sane bill of health by experts in mental illness. Now, let's hope the Thai army will change her discharge certificate from "mental disorder" to "suffering sexual identity problems." Those problems she suffers are, to some extent, due to the military's insistence that she was mentally ill.

i dont know if you guys are serious or not. but im gonna bite anyway.

how would you feel as someone born with two sets of genitalia, the most obvious one consisting of a penis, but not feeling the same as a 'real' man (for want of a much, much better term)? often their penis is so small that it is impossible to use it for its intended purpose - having sex - and they have no desire to use it for that anyway. the female hormones far outweigh the male. THATS why they want to cut it off. because it serves no purpose.

i personally know a couple of katoeys. transsexuals. whatever you prefer to call them. they are all lovely people - HUMAN BEINGS - who did not choose to be born into a minority group.

they are not freaks.

they are not objects to be poked at and made fun of.

they are human beings with feelings, brains, and intelligence - the same as many, but unfortunately not all, of us.

have a read of 'the third sex'. a very interesting book which makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

people are people - penis or no penis.

I can understand this. I was born in the wrong body too--I think I belong in Bill Gates' body!

i knew i should have stayed in the ladies section. you guys are sickos.

I can understand this. I was born in the wrong body too--I think I belong in Bill Gates' body!

do you think he would pay you for that?