BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
PattayaBoy

Anyone visited Papua New Guinea?

Hi, just looking on awsome holiday/travel destination around and want more info on Papua New Guinea, I know I can google it, but nothing better then hearing from someone who went there.

So anyone been in PNG? How was it? Would you recommend it? Safe? 

I go travel with thai gf.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

thx

Raja Ampat Islands on the Indonesian part of the island is a beautiful and less sensitive of the beaten path destination.

• Like 1

I have been there ,but it was 40 years ago,like stepping back in time,
natives queuing at the bank,arse grass,stone axes,and all the paraphernalia, 
bird of paradise feathers,that was Mount Hagen,it was reputed to be quite
dangerous then, most houses in Port Moresby had high fences topped with  
barbed wire,to protect them from the "Rascals", as criminals were called.

But we never experienced any problems,you had to report to the police
whenever you went out of the main towns,but i suppose like most places
in the World things have gone down hill,just pleased I visited when I did,
like so many other places,would not like to return as they will have changed
so much,and not for the better.
regards Worgeordie

Google tells me its bit touristic place now but still pretty much authentic deal

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Raja Ampat Islands on the Indonesian part of the island is a beautiful and less sensitive of the beaten path destination.

Nice bit different experience to PNG
Its looks like quiet beach hols.
Where PNG would be beaches + imense local culture.

Thanks I never knew that place

Just how do you get there?

Been a long time since I was there for a week to visit a mine up in the mountains. Stayed several days in Port Moresby hotel (forgot the name, it was very forgettable). Advised not to go outside at night but took a very wild taxi ride to another hotel a bit up in the hills. Vehicle was a small pickup with a truly wild and reckless driver, apparently just out of the bush. Had the good fortune to be there for the indepencence day celebration which had a huge gathering of groups from the various tribes. Very colorful and happy crowd with abundance of grass skirts, tattoos, ritual body paints. Yes, the mud men were there, just like in the brochures.

Cannot recommend the place unless you really want something extremely different.

Some of the best fishing on earth.. Big things with sharp teeth

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been a long time since I was there for a week to visit a mine up in the mountains. Stayed several days in Port Moresby hotel (forgot the name, it was very forgettable). Advised not to go outside at night but took a very wild taxi ride to another hotel a bit up in the hills. Vehicle was a small pickup with a truly wild and reckless driver, apparently just out of the bush. Had the good fortune to be there for the indepencence day celebration which had a huge gathering of groups from the various tribes. Very colorful and happy crowd with abundance of grass skirts, tattoos, ritual body paints. Yes, the mud men were there, just like in the brochures.

Cannot recommend the place unless you really want something extremely different.

Thx

Need to research more on safety

https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/papua-new-guinea

Looks like no go

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/papua-new-guinea/safety-and-security

Check with medical travel experts as most of the place is highly malarial.  There are some drugs which can be safely taken to lessen the effects of an attack.  Others such as Larium as best avoided.

The usual rule is not to go out at night, a) mosquitos,  and B) raskols.  Both can be deadly.  

See if Lonely Planet has a current edition.   They are usually spot-on with good advice.

• Like 2

Lived there  for 27 years until two years ago.

The World Bank rates Port Moresby as one the most dangerous cities in the world.

Do not venture out at night unless you know exactly where you are going, and never on foot. Choose venues with security and where you can park your vehicle in a compound.

• Like 2

Beautiful place but after looking at safety ....NO
NZ better.

You might find it interesting reading on Google about the Trobriand Islands (part of New Guinea) - like nowhere else on earth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Stunning yes and have spent time working there myself - but the OP is asking about Papua New Guinea.

Raja Ampat is in Indonesia.  Two different countries, no matter how geographically close they may be