Anyone visited Papua New Guinea?

2 minutes ago, sandemara said:

...A member of the US Rockefeller tycoon family on a sailing adventure in waters between northern Australia and PNG fell victim to cannibals after his boat foundered on a reef in a remote southern area during the 1980s....

err, 1961, and never proven

To work their is okay. I have seen worst. But to go on a vacation their, then I would forget about it. Polynesia would be just as remote and I think much better to go to. You can get there from Australia. 

Some decent and fairly cheap hotels close to the International Airport in Port Moresby, and cold beer, but nothing much else. I found Port Moresby to be quite safe, but I wouldn't trust this place at night tome. I certainly wouldn't venture out alone to some jungle tribe. Unless you don't mind ending up in someone's pot of soup. 

Worked in Port Mporesby for 45 ays once - dangerous yes - would I take my TGF???  or any GF???  not no, but hell no!!  The hotel I was in had a lady raped and beaten by six men within sight of the front door - she was an American working at the US Embassy down the street.  They wouldn't leave the Hotel stoop to assist - too dangerous as the perpetrators would likely have killed him then, or later along with his Family - they call the gangs "Rascals"  I carried a short machete on my belt, and look as though I can handle it, so I walked everywhere..........if you go, go alone.  Now Dili, East Timor is a nice place - I lived there for a year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandemara said:

I worked there for 7-8 years for the Aust Govt and the PNG Govt after Independence. I was lucky enough to travel allover. The  country is spectacularly beautiful; coastline or inland mountains. Fishing is fantastic, scuba diving or snorkel was fun. People mentioned Madang, Lae, Wewak. I'd include Rabaul, Manus Island, the Trobriands. There are gorgeous island systems right around the coast. The further out of towns you could get, the friendlier and hospitable the local residents were. Lovely people out bush. Stay away from big towns. The drive from Lae (north coast) up to Goroka and Mt Hagen (highlands) was always different and exciting. Beautiful country. You could always expect to bump into a tribal fight somewhere along the way. I was also lucky enough to do a trek through villages in the Star Mountains, along the border separating PNG and Irian Jaya, and stayed for a few weeks in a mining camp atop one Mountain that was still proving assays of gold, copper and other precious metals. It eventually became a huge mining venture. You  looked down on clouds along the escarpment; only jet helicopters could work at the height to transport crew, etc. If you're at all interested in anthropology the country is a treasure. Every valley has its own unique culture and language (3, 000 distinct languages). Most PNG natives are naturally multi-lingual. They represent a high of proportion of interpreters working at the UN and other international organisations. Artefacts, music, arts and crafts skills are sensational.  However, tremendous health and social problems exist. In New Britain STDs affected 4-5 people in any group of10 in my time there. One absolutely beautiful Miss PNG winner (Papuan) got pregnant during her 'reign', at birth the baby was deaf and blind due to STDs. This sort of thing discouraged unrestrained fraternisation An artist friend of mine married an attractive petite highlander girl and brought her down to P/Moresby. Over six months she became despondent and unwell. Her loving husband (who had committed to a program to westernise his darling before taking her back home to the UK - did all the cooking etc for her, etc) took her to see a doctor. The doctor advised him to allow her to get back to her normal highlands diet or else watch her slowly die. Her normal diet comprised about 15-20 kgs of taro and sweet potato per day. Essential for trekking up and down mountains to gardens, neighbouring villages back home.  Rape was so common in the country police did not bother keeping statistics. HIV is a growing problem (homosexuality was acceptable lifestyle; women menstruated and attracted evil spirits, disease etc so many men slept together - apart from women - much of their lives). Stabbings, spearings and localised violence was common due to the need for 'payback' as a means of face-saving.  During WW2 most alllied and Japanese casualties resulted from the environment - disease, insects hygiene problems etc.  A member of the US Rockefeller tycoon family on a sailing adventure in waters between northern Australia and PNG fell victim to cannibals after his boat foundered on a reef in a remote southern area during the 1980s. These aspects of PNG life make it a special place. And should be kept in mind by  prospective tourists. A fantastic country.

After all that , if we haven't scared him off by niw, he will most likely go and become another statistic they don't keep track of.   

Called in to Lae and Madang on a merchant ship about 7 years ago. The manager at Lae arranged a bus to take us into the centre of town which is safe in daylight but we were warned not to walk from the port. In Madang we went about 400 metres from the ship to the Madang Club (???) overlooking the stunning bay, in twilight. Every building on the way had a security guard. When we decided to return to the wharf, the PNG waiter who had been serving us, stripped off his lap lap and insisted on going with us. As for Ross Kemp, mentioned earlier, his desire for controversy overcame his lack of knowledge about PNG. I would be very careful if visiting, even if Madang Harbour is a stunning site. Over on New Britain around Rabaul and other places the tension was remarkably lower.

Edited by Cats4ever

22 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Lived there  for 27 years until two years ago.

The World Bank rates Port Moresby as one the most dangerous cities in the world.

Do not venture out at night unless you know exactly where you are going, and never on foot. Choose venues with security and where you can park your vehicle in a compound.

wow 27 years, what u been doing there?