3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

good day everyone . i am currently struggling in between this three broadband providers and would like to get some feed back from the actual users 

please do not hesitate to share any opinion if you have some ,  currently using 18mbps VDSL (true online) and not really satisfied with the performance . paying almost 700 per month for 18mbps , desperately seeking for a change .

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have the 15/5 AIS optic fiber and as of typing is downloading 1.7 MB/sec.

I pay 100 baht/month for the first 6 months and then 590 baht/month.

Like you I was also fed up with True, but is a very happy camper now.

Thanks dude for your reply , appreciated that 

i got fed up with TRUE too..

in this case , i think i will switch to AIS mobile and AIS fiber later today.

Kinda interested in the 50mbps/10mbps package 

You've not stated where you are.

I'm on the darkside using 3BB (10mbs, paying 631 baht) and happy, but only just (their service is crap, altho the young guy who got to my house 1 week after my first complaint, was very nice and very competent). A few doors up, my neighbour has True Online and is very, very happy with the service, which seems to have fewer problems than 3BB in this area. 

8 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I've True fibre optic, whilst OOKLA says I've a blazingly fast connection, playing online games is sometimes almost impossible..... I don't get it.

Sent from my toaster using Thaivisa Connect

ookla is multi threaded , i dont do speedtest on ookla

you should speed test with http://testmy.net/ for much more accurate and precise speed test 

8 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

You've not stated where you are.

I'm on the darkside using 3BB (10mbs, paying 631 baht) and happy, but only just (their service is crap, altho the young guy who got to my house 1 week after my first complaint, was very nice and very competent). A few doors up, my neighbour has True Online and is very, very happy with the service, which seems to have fewer problems than 3BB in this area. 

i am using true online and got fed up because of the inconsistency , keep disconnecting while playing online games or streaming 

The AIS 50/10 Fibre has been working good for me for the past 3.5 months.

For example, using the multi-thread Speedtest.net to San Francisco at 8:47pm Bangkok time.

5727764686.png

And then using the single-thread Testmy.net to San Francisco at 8:51pm Bangkok time...Download Manual 50MB file size used.

csSgukK1l.png

And a Bangkok to Bangkok Speedtest.net test just to show local speed at 8:54pm

5727781657.png

I dumped True for their high prices.  I live in a condo and aside from AIS Fibre, there are also Sinet FTTx, and Loxinfo.  Sinet FTTx only provide service to condo's, though I'm not sure about Loxinfo.  I'm currently on Sinet and very happy with their speeds and prices.  I'm paying 899 for 70/30 mbps.

Just considering the new KID on the BLock

TOT has come out with  an IPTV package that looks good

800bt for fibre including internet and TV (basic pack)

is upgradable to super pack for 390bt

Any one experienced this yet I am not a Techo?? 

On 10/19/2016 at 2:02 PM, primacybkk said:

ookla is multi threaded , i dont do speedtest on ookla

you should speed test with http://testmy.net/ for much more accurate and precise speed test 

That appears to be testing speeds to a server in Los Angeles and it says that my 50/10 AIS Fibre packages is giving me 20 Mbps.  I'm in Chiang Mai.  I can't comment about whether that 20Mbps is accurate but I have had very good luck streaming HD video from the US since I signed up for AIS Fibre.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:00 PM, primacybkk said:

sorry forgotten to mention where i am exactly located 

my location is yan nawa , rama 3 ,bangkok.

That is where I am located. I recently moved from True ADSL to AIS Fibre (about a week ago). I switched because about 3 months ago something happened to my True ADSL where it got cut off for a day or two. After True "fixed it", it was never stable so I decided to move to AIS. I thought about TOT but it was rather complicated and confusing with their packages, their hardware and how to get it all initially setup. With AIS, I went to Central Rama 3 and they got me all setup and running within 2 days. The technicians that came to install it were friendly and professional. They ran the fibre into the townhouse exactly as I wanted and were done in about 2 1/2 hours. They spent the first hour doing something at the outside splitter and running the fibre from the splitter to the front of the townhouse.

So far, I am happy with the speed (50/10) and it is more stable that True (so far). I got the AIS Playbox which is slightly disappointing. I thought there would be some non-Thai news channels but they don't seem to work. I just get a black screen when attempting to view them. I also thought CNN Headline News was part of AIS Playbox but I don't see it listed. Part of the TV section of the AIS Playbox has menu listings in Thai and there doesn't appear to be any way of changing that.

Anyway, since we live near each other, I thought I would give you my feedback on AIS Fibre.

7 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I'm in Bangkok and have been using True 20 Mb cable modem service for 2 or 3 years and its been fine. I'm wondering if the people reporting they don't like True are in other parts of the country.

But my Thai friends say AIS is the best right now.

Hello, can you confirm that all internet providers now accept foreigners without work permit ? and even on tourist visa ?

do you need to pay 1 year upfront ?

Thanks.

I have AIS Fibre in my name....did not have have to pay anything for installation or in advance. I have a retirement extension of stay but they never looked at or copied that page of my passport...only copied the main/first page. I'm in Bangkok.

50 minutes ago, Pib said:

I have AIS Fibre in my name....did not have have to pay anything for installation or in advance. I have a retirement extension of stay but they never looked at or copied that page of my passport...only copied the main/first page. I'm in Bangkok.

Hello, can you confirm that all internet providers now accept foreigners without work permit ? and even on tourist visa ?

do you need to pay 1 year upfront ?

Thanks.

Thanks, they really seem to be the best now, not even need to visit their office as we just need to register online and then they bring what you need at home.

I can't confirm what "all" ISPs require.   As stated earlier AIS did not require an 1 year upfront payment.   Over the last eight year years I've been  with AIS, True, TOT, and JAS.   True, TOT, and JAS had a small installation fee (Bt1000 or less) which was basically the cost of the router/modem they provided, but did not require any other upfront payment.  Your results may vary.

But keep in mind, when you sign-up with any ISP you are signing up for a 1 year contract....if you try to cancel earlier you will still usually be on the hook or the "full price" of installation which the ISP will probably value at around Bt3000 to Bt5000.

We have just dumped AIS Airnet because trees growing are threatening to block our direct line air signal again.

We have gone to 3BB because they now have fibre in our street after getting 5 agreements signed up.  There was a one-off connection fee of 1,000 baht  and 3BB costs 700 B a month while airnet was 610.  But 3BB is faster and as it is by fibre & wire, not going to be blocked by sister in law's rubber trees again.   Interestingly the actual connection to our home is by 2 core copper wire, not fibre, which I expected but they have a big cabinet up on poles down the street a bit.  I was overseas when they did it and they put the connection in the wrong place so, being wire, it was dead easy for dummy-me to extend it to the right location and still have it work.  They also loaded the wrong spelling of my user name and my password but that was hardly a big deal.  It is just different now and anyone (local extended family) who previously knew our login has had to ask again.

Our download speed has gone up by a factor of 5 from 10 to 50 MBPS (I think the jargon is MBPS).

Only downside so far seems to be that while airnet could be paid by DD the wife says have to pay at a local 7/11 (I think) because 3BB will not do internet payments.   I will be checking on that again myself.

Really whatever gives you best speeds is the first criteria to apply. 

9 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Read it and weep, people...  biggrin.gif

3BB Phil 200 50.jpg

3BB Phil 200 50 full.jpg

-  3BB 200/50 fibre, Phuket Town  clap2.gif

How about some tests to the U.S. and Europe?   Thanks.

And I think that's the first time I've seen a test with a bufferbloat of A.

On 19.10.2016 at 8:56 PM, Pib said:

The AIS 50/10 Fibre has been working good for me for the past 3.5 months.

For example, using the multi-thread Speedtest.net to San Francisco at 8:47pm Bangkok time.

5727764686.png

And then using the single-thread Testmy.net to San Francisco at 8:51pm Bangkok time...Download Manual 50MB file size used.

csSgukK1l.png

And a Bangkok to Bangkok Speedtest.net test just to show local speed at 8:54pm

5727781657.png

multi thread is no good for online gaming and most video, because these only use one thread.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:03 PM, primacybkk said:

i am using true online and got fed up because of the inconsistency , keep disconnecting while playing online games or streaming 

Running into the same problem in Chiang Mai with 3BB lately keeps dropping off and cannot locate websites. This part is getting worse. Looking for a good alternative. When you phone them they ask ask is everything OK NOW! well yes at this moment but it is a reaccurring problem. 

I'd like to contribute feedback on TOT in Bangkok which I recommend those who are not highly knowledgeable in configuring modems & setting values to Internet connection to steer clear of.  The Internet frequently requires resetting.  Calling the TOT hotline with Thai operators solved some of the problems.  I also tried the English-speaking ones (where one has to wait much, much longer to get one available), but their over-the-telephone help  wasn't any better; the help in English given was slightly worse because the English-speaking operators' level of English was not up to par to understand what I'd asked to begin with.  So speaking Thai ensures they'd understand what is affecting your inability to connect.  I use TOT at home, 3BB at work, and True at my friend's home where I frequent; they seem more or less the same.  Service over each provider's hotline and service counter when I pay my bills is most important to me.  You have to watch the clerk's face and tone of voice when she services you over at TOT to see what I mean.  Most Thais we encounter smile profusely, but not most of those at TOT.  So if you need smiling faces, you'd be advised to go elsewhere.  

Archived