3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, just go to the 3BB website and select between the Thai and English language setting in the upper right hand corner.  Then review the different promotions.  And yea, if signing up as a farang then 3BB wants 12 months advance payments....but for a Thai it's only 1 month.  Add-in any installation/deposit costs shown on the promotion and you have your costs.   Probably best to personally visit a 3BB office instead of solely relying on phone calls to 3BB.   Fiber seems to be going up fast around the country which could take folks like yourself from the TV rabbits ear/slow speed era to the fiber optics/fast speed era overnight all because of a little glass cable hung along power poles.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/promotion/details/45468

Somebody is supposed to be coming out tomorrow to have a look at what I need and what they have to offer. Their fibre cable is about 40 metres from my house and about 60 from my neighbours but both my neighbour and her family and my wife and son are in Korat until the weekend so nothing much will happen for a few days.

I went to the website and sure enough there is an English option and the 200/50 promotion has this little note at the bottom.

Terms and Conditions

For Home Use only.

The first month service fee will be collected when applying for the service.

A deposit of 3,000 baht for GPON ONT equipment will be collected.

Other fees such as the installation and in-house fee are according to promotion basis.

Please check service availability before signing for the service.

Speed of Broadband and Wi-Fi service are on a “Best effort” basis, therefore, the company reserves the right and will not be responsible for the reduction of speed due to technical, network limitation and the number of concurrent users at the period of time.

However if you click on all the other options they are in Thai with no way to change the language.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 40 to 60 meter run is nothing for fiber optics.   My house was around 130 meters from a AIS fibre trunk line running along the main soi poles. Fiber optics has very, very, very little loss over distance unlike XDSL or cable/DOCSIS.   As long as their trunk line has gone "operational" versus just still being installed along with the required upstream network equipment they should be able to hook you up and you can throw away your internet rabbit ears.

Now also keep in mind if you go the 200/50 option your computer(s) will need to have "gigabit/1000Mb" ethernet ports to go above 100Mb....if you have "fast/100Mb" ethernet ports which are limited to 100Mb speed you will not be able to take advantage of speeds much above 100Mb, "unless" you have Wifi circuits in your computer which can go to 200Mb speed.

Now if your computer(s) are like mine and limited to 100Mb ethernet port speed or a Wifi circuit below 200Mb (like my Wifi circuit is limited to 150Mb), you can always buy a little USB Wifi 802.11AC thumbdrive type device for around a Bt1000 to fix the Wifi situation...or if your computer is a desktop with ethernet ports limited to 100Mb speed you can buy a gigabit ethernet plug-in card real cheap for way under Bt1000.

Just mentioning this as some people complain about about their high speed internet connection/plan not delivering the advertised speed when if fact "it is," but it's just their computer/smartphone/tablet that's the chokepoint.  Get the 200/50 plan whether your computer can utilize all that speed right now (you'll just be limited to using 100/50 of the 200/50 speed available to you)....you can cheaply fix any computer-related internet speed chokepoint you may have to fully utilize the 200Mb speed.

I paid the 3000 baht deposit for the modem and 1283 baht for the first month. The contract is in my gf's name. I think the technician said the distance to the point was 600 meters. I was not charged anything extra. I have a new computer and a Asus AC2400 router with gigabit ports. Full speed with torrents, IDM downloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, sniffdog said:

I paid the 3000 baht deposit for the modem and 1283 baht for the first month. The contract is in my gf's name. I think the technician said the distance to the point was 600 meters. I was not charged anything extra. I have a new computer and a Asus AC2400 router with gigabit ports. Full speed with torrents, IDM downloads.

Yeap, that perfectly in sync with the 3BB Terms and Conditions mentioned above.   Distance to home is really no issue for fiber optics from a signal loss/attenuation standpoint....only issues that might come up is are there poles to hang the fiber on, is the ISP allowed to provide service a certain area since ISPs must have govt/moobaan approval to provide service, and I'm sure each ISP has its own set of proprietary rules as what locations/residences they will provide service to.   But one thing for sure, fiber optics service seems to be expanding very fast (even for Thailand).

"The first month service fee will be collected when applying for the service.

A deposit of 3,000 baht for GPON ONT equipment will be collected."

And if you want to find out where they will connect to the fiber trunk line, just look along the trunk line for a shoe box sized box with loops of fiber on each side....will look something like below.  From that junction box they will run the individual fiber line to your residence.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

3BB 200/50 FTTX is just too tempting.

50mbit/s upload is amazing.

Any chain is only as strong as its weakest (or in this case, slowest) link.

Re the 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber plan, it's going to work fine with the standard-issue 3BB wifi router, Huawei HG8245H, which has gigabit ethernet.

But if you're relying on its wifi, that router's top standard of N wifi (as opposed to AC standard) just isn't going to keep up with the 3BB plan and a local Thai connection. (I did a Thai speedtest this morning via the 3BB router's N wifi and got about 50 Mbps DL). An AC wifi router connected to the Huawei's ethernet is going to do much better.

For international connections, though, it won't matter even with Huawei router N wifi, because the 3BB service doesn't deliver anywhere close to those top speeds for international connections.

TG,

According to specs I've seen on a HG8245H it's basically a 802.11N "N300" optical router which means its Wifi can support up to 300Mb speeds under good conditions (i.e, no-to-little interference from other router/equipment.   Now I realize in the real world that 300Mb rate speed is really the max sync speed and actual data throughput would be something less especially with some interference thrown in, but I would think it should go far above 50Mb you are getting..

Now assuming the 3BB-supplied HG8245H is basically identical to the AIS-supplied HG8245H  "hardware specs-wise" if you set the Wifi LAN setting to 40MHz channels width (it appears to default to 20MHz) you should be able to got far above 50Mb Wifi speed.   Since my AIS plan is only a 50/10 plan I can test that theory.   

If  you haven't already, you might want to check the 3BB HG8245H setup to see if it's set to 40MHz channel width because as mentioned it defaults to 20MHz.   See below snapshot of the area I'm talking about.  I leave mind set to 20MHz because for "Wifi" purposes I only use it to feed the upstairs area where I don't use my primary computer much at all...just smartphones/tablets and an old 54G laptop....for my primary computer downstairs I have an ethernet connection between the HG8245H and an Asus N300 router downstairs which is used to feed Wifi to the downstairs area and I have set for 40Mhz channel width.

Another reason I don't set the HG8245H to 40MHz is to prevent channel overlap with my Asus router.   I already must contend with about a half dozen neighbors' routers interference-wise so I don't want to generate any self made/in-house router interference.

Capture.JPG

OK, I'm now sure the Huawei HG8245G will far exceed 50Mb Wifi speed.   Shortly after posting above I thought to myself although I only have an AIS 50Mb internet plan I could still transfer a file from my home server (I used a 100MB sized file), but since that home server is hooked to my ASUS router that only has 100Mb/FAST ethernet ports the max speed I could feed into to the Huawei HG8245G would be the 100Mb Fast ethernet speed.    Remember, my ASUS and Huawei routers interconnected via ethernet...limited to 100Mb do to the ASUS router only have 100Mb/FAST ethernet ports.

So, I first did a test with the HG8245G set to 20Mhz channel width....max Wifi speed I could get was 56Mb.  Then I changed it to 40MHz channel width and got 99MHz and saw a few brief spites to 105Mb during the Wifi transfer of the 100MB file.   So, the the HG8245G can keep up with a 100Mb speed input.  

Since I don't have gigabit/1000Mb ports on my ASUS router and I'm too lazy to temporary move the home server upstairs to hook it to a gigabit port on the HG8245G I can't tell you for sure what actual speed the HG8245G Wifi could reach...see how close it could get to 300Mb Wifi speed.   Maybe I'll get brave over the coming days and temporary hook the server directly to the HG8245G just to see what Wifi speed it can reach.  Since my downstairs is temperature- controlled 24/7 (i.e.,downstairs A/C is always) and the upstairs A/C is not on 24/7 I prefer to keep my home server in a cool environment.  

Pib, as you understand, there are specs, and then there are real-world environments, where wifi is impacted by numbers of competing wifi signals, distance, and various other factors.

Re your question above, my Huawei HG8245G N router is already set to 40 Mhz channel width, and was when I ran the speed test I mentioned above, where I was getting 50 Mbps DL from the Huawei N router about 15 feet away to my Toshiba laptop with an AC wifi adapter.

PS0007.jpg

However, while I can't specifically identify WHY I got the speed test result I got, I can see the very crowded 2.4 Ghz wifi environment where my home is located.  Which is why I mentioned above the advantages of switching over to a likely very UN-crowded 5 Ghz wifi environment for one's router and wifi access points.

Wifi N's 2.4 Ghz specs are one thing. But its actual performance in a crowded environment is something else.

In contrast, I get MUCH faster performance from my AC wifi router that is Gigabit ethernet daisy-chained to the Huawei router, and connecting to any of my AC wifi adapters -- all on the 5 Ghz band, which virtually no one else around my home area is using at present.

PS0008.jpg

3BB may not provide great single connection speeds to US / EU by default, but they don't put you behind CGT / NAT because they have adequate IPv4 allocation and if you use Singapore proxy / vpn, you can probably get full or close to full speeds on a single connection.

15Mbit/s on single connection is still beats my 2-3 mbits/s on single connection on 50/10 VDSL at 3BB (you get how much you pay for)

Provided router may not be capable of AC wifi etc but who cares? They try to minimize deposit fee for new customers. Customer can choose to use own AC router like I do.

Here's some examples from my home of how much difference there can be between using 3BB's 200/50 Mbps plan via direct ethernet vs. using it via N wifi from 3BB's standard-issue HG8245G Wifi N router.

As I mentioned above and the tests below show, in my experience, N wifi simply isn't going to keep pace with a 200 Mbps internet service. But I use my own AC standard wifi router instead, and the performance gap between ethernet and wifi narrows considerably.

3BB Speedtest with 3BB direct ethernet

3BB Speedtest-ethernet direct.jpg

3BB Speedtest with 3BB Wifi N router

3BB Speedtest-Wifi N.jpg

ADSL Thailand Speedtest with 3BB direct ethernet

ADSLThai-ethernet direct.jpg

ADSL Thailand Speedtest with 3BB Wifi N router

ADSLThai-Wifi N.jpg

TOT Speedtest with 3BB direct ethernet

TOT Speedtest-ethernet direct.jpg

TOT Speedtest with 3BB Wifi N router

TOTSpeedtest-Wifi N.jpg

Speedtest.net Speedtest with 3BB direct ethernet

Speedtest-net-ethernet direct.jpg

Speedtest.net Speedtest with 3BB Wifi N router

Speedtest-net-Wifi N.jpg

Likewise, apparently unlike AIS's fiber service based on Pib's recent posts, 3BB's fiber service benefits significantly when paired with a good VPN vs. running the 3BB service alone, when it comes to making international connections.

Here are a pair of comparisons I ran in the past week on my ethernet-connected desktop just after 3BB upgraded my plan to their new 200/50 Mbps service.

Baseline Speedtest.net speedtest (local Thai connection) on my ethernet-connected desktop:

3BB 200 Mbps direct test BKK via SpeedTest-Net.jpg

Netscape Fast.com U.S. Speedtest with 3BB direct

Fast 1-20 Mbps-3BB 200 Mbps direct to Fast.jpg

Netscape Fast.com U.S. Speedtest with 3BB and L.A. VPN

Fast 2-84 Mbps-3BB 200 Mbps w Astrill PPTP LA to Fast.jpg

TestMy.net L.A. server speedtest with 3BB direct

TestMy 1-15 Mbps-3BB Direct 200MB upgrade to TestMy LA.jpg

TestMy.net L.A. server speedtest with 3BB and L.A. VPN

TestMy 2-54 Mbps-3BB 200MB w VPN PPTP-LA to TestMy LA.jpg

Well, your slow speed when using "Wifi" is definitely not due to the 200/50 speed entering your HG8245G router...either you just have to bad interference in your area or possibly a setup/hardware/driver problem with your computers.

If you have the slow Wifi performance on "all" your computers (i.e., only getting up to around 50Mb with your 200Mb plan) then the most probable problem is Wifi interference and it may be interference that don't show up like when using an app like InSSIDer that only shows Wifi router signals...such apps will not show non-router Wifi signals from other sources that may be causing the interference (i.e. cordless phone, microwave, radar, or just a whole variety of possible signal/interference generating equipment).

I didn't get a chance today to hook my home server directly to my AIS-provided HG8245G router to run a Wifi speed test....to see how close it will get to the 150Mb max speed which my laptop Wifi N circuit goes to.  Over the coming days I hope to get the time to give it a try.   Already know the Wifi will make 100Mb with my HG8245G per my earlier test I posted about a few posts up. 

Pib, actual wifi performance is going to be influenced by a lot of factors other than just the wifi router itself, including interference, distances, etc.

But my point was, at my home in my environment, those are the relatively slower speeds I get with Huawei's N wifi router. When I switch the same 3BB 200/50 connection to my own AC wifi router on the 5 Ghz band that's rated up to 1200 Mbps where there's no local competition at all, my actual wifi speeds increased markedly.

The Huawei fiber router is strictly 2.4 Ghz wifi N and rated up to 300 Mbps, so there's no way I can figure for me to check whether the slowdown in that mode is due to the wifi N standard being slower than wifi AC, or due to interference on the 2.4 Ghz band in my area, or some combination of the two.

But the slowdown certainly is real, and it's not related to the PC's involved, because those same PC's do fine with both regular Ethernet and when I switch to a 5 Ghz AC wifi adapter. You live in a suburban moo ban, I live in the downtown area with lots of other wifi signals around. Our respective wifi environments may not be at all comparable, even with the same router.

TG,

When you say your Wifi performance "increased markedly" when using your AC router and using the 5GHz band, what are we talking about approx numbers wise?  With the N/2.4Ghz setup your posted speed tests for Wifi showed around 50Mb tops....so what does your AC/5GHz setup give  you approx?  75Mb, 100Mb, etc? 

And yea, each person surrounding environment in terms of what know and unknown signals/interference is floating around can have a big impact on Wifi performance....zero argument there.    I'm pretty sure you live in a house like me and I still pickup plenty of competing Wifi signals from my neighbors...just like you do as you showed earlier in one of your posts.   And neighbors running a 40Mhz channel width can cause more interference than a channel width of 20Mhz since 40Mhz hogs more of the available spectrum

I've got a couple of neighbors that use a 40Mhz channel width but the majority use 20Mhz.   Using InSSIDer to monitor the signals and watching the  Link score that InSSIDer gives on the different signals to include my own,  whenever I'm getting good reception on that neighbor's signal my Wifi signal "Link" score will go down 15 to 20 points...and Link score is a key indicator of the max speed possible at any point in time.  

And where I say good reception of the neighbor's signal I don't mean I'm connected to it because I"m not because he has it password protected/encrypted like I have mine.  I just mean you can see his signal and InSSIDer gives you info about his signal such as frequency, strength, etc....preaching to the choir I know regarding InSSIDer.   And his signal level I'm picking up can vary significantly from minute to minute as other  signals interfere (weaken or strengthen) how much of his signal I'm picking up/how much is attempting to interfere with mine signal.   As you know Wifi signals are not rock steady, they can vary significantly all the time due to environmental factors and how other signals interact with them.

And I can also tell he has his router channel setup to "Automatically" change channels to try to improve the signal quality (i.e., reduce interference from other Wifi signals) for use because I can see via InSSIDer that his frequency changes sometimes.  He letting his router try to determine the best frequency to use.  I don't have my router set to Channel Auto Select because from testing I determined which channel(s) give me the best speed and have been sticking to that channel(s).  Basically I have determined my choice of channels is better than letting the router Auto select the channels.   Basically I use InSSIDer to try to avoid interference from neighbor's Wifi channels as much as possible and get the best quality score on my own signal.   So far that has worked as I can get via Wifi at the full speed of my AIS 50/10 fibre plan.  And testing so far on the  AIS provided Huawei HG8245G and my other ASUS router (both of which are N300 routers...can supposedly go up to 300Mb Wifi link speed) shows I can reach  at least 100Mb....still haven't done further testing to see if I can get up to 150Mb which is the max speed my computer Wifi N circuit/chip can reach.  To go above 150Mb I will need to do some hardware upgrades.

But I can tell with fiber optics plans offering higher and higher speed plans at a price I just can't pass up, I figure within a year AIS will upgrade its 50/10 plan at Bt888  (which I currently have) to something like 100/20 at the same approx Bt888 price and I will just need to ensure my Wifi setup can handle that speed as I will want to have that speed.  Really don't need that speed but I would want it.  I figure AIS will do this just to keep up with the Jones (3BB).  In my home I don't use an ethernet connection to my computers anywhere due to where my routers and computers are located; it's all Wifi.

Cheers,

Pib

Pib, you seem to be trying to argue that wifi N is going to be fast enough to accommodate a 200 Mbps ISP plan. And yet, AFAIR, you yourself previously posted the following chart here that clearly shows the advantages of AC wifi, particularly in accommodating higher wifi throughput/speed rates.

Wifi Router Typical Speeds by Band Class.jpg

My home results pretty much parallel those mentioned in the chart for N and AC performance.

But also, in the past with prior wifi N adapters, I've done the PC to PC throughout kind of test you mentioned above (moving a large file across my home network). And in those tests as well, my wifi N topped out at 40-50 Mbps as well.

Above is kinda dated info...use to be correct with N routers of that time period but N routers have improved.  But no, I'm not saying a N300 or N150 current day router will actually reach 300Mb or 150Mb speed for actual "data throughput" as N300 rated router means it supposedly can reach a 300Mb "Link" speed which is just the core connection speed with minimum control bits & bytes needs....with actual data flow the speed to be "something" less.   Link speed and data throughput speed are different...and data throughput speed is all that really matters.

I just completed that test of hooking my home server directly to the Huawei HG8245G....both the server and Hauwei have 1000Mbit/gigabit ports so I removed that chokepoint like I had in my earlier testing where I did have a 100Mb port chokepoint in the testing setup and was only able to reach a max of 100Mb Wifi speed due to that chokepoint.

Now I'm testing just the capability of the Huawei router which to the best of my knowledge is a N300 spec'ed router based on the googling I done so far (but maybe its only a N150 spec'd router)....and my laptop's N150 (150Mb) Wifi rated circuit.  So, in this setup, due to the N150 max capability of my laptop Wifi, a 150Mb speed is the max I could possibly get in the perfect Wifi world, but I won't get that since that N150 spec (i.e., which means 150Mb max speed) is really the max "Link"/basic connection speed before  you start flowing actual data where additional RX/TX flow control factors will come into play and you won't reach that perfect Wifi world speed of 150Mb speed.

When I first run the 100MB sized file transfer test with my laptop around 3 meters from the router with no obstructions, I only got 56Mb speed.   Ran it again...got 56Mb speed again.  Then I remember I had set the router channel width back to 20Mhz after doing the tests the other day.  I changed the channel width to 40Mhz and reran the transfer test several times and got a 118Mb speed.   Now was that 118Mb barrier the router or my laptop....no way of knowing without having a computer with at least a N300 (or higher) Wifi circuit which I don't have.    I probably should have shut down my ASUS Wifi router running down stairs since it set to a 40MHz channel width also as it may have been providing some interference causing some speed reduction...maybe I could have gone above 118Mb.  But I have already rehooked my home router to the downstairs router....reconfigured everything back before I break something.:tongue:

So, I do know now my AIS-provided Huawei HG8245G router will reach at least 118Mb Wifi speed....and quite possibly (probably) go higher if I had a way to test it to say the N300 (300Mb) speed.

TG,

You showed earlier you had you Huawei router set to a 40Mhz channel width but have you confirmed the "driver for your computer Wifi circuit" doesn't have separate 20MHz or 40Mhz channels width settings.  I say that because last night when I was updating my second laptop (another Lenovo with a N150 Wifi chip) I noticed it's driver settings had some 20 or 40Mhz channel width settings where my other Lenovo laptop with a N150 Wifi chip did not.   But I expect that is due to one laptap having an Intel Wifi chip and the other lapotp having a Qualcomm Wifi chip....different chips...different drivers.  Something to check if  you haven't already.

Pib, you seem to be trying to argue that wifi N is going to be fast enough to accommodate a 200 Mbps ISP plan. And yet, AFAIR, you yourself previously posted the following chart here that clearly shows the advantages of AC wifi, particularly in accommodating higher wifi throughput/speed rates.

5811830882c93_WifiRouterTypicalSpeedsbyBandClass.jpg.adad6fea8555c58e961c1e7a5aed3c9b.jpg

My home results pretty much parallel those mentioned in the chart for N and AC performance.

But also, in the past with prior wifi N adapters, I've done the PC to PC throughout kind of test you mentioned above (moving a large file across my home network). And in those tests as well, my wifi N topped out at 40-50 Mbps as well.

I don't have the 3BB Fibre, instead I have to 50/10 AIS Fibre, and with in my house maybe 20 meters from the router I'm getting similar results as you - about 30 to 35 Mbps from 802.11n @ 5GHz and comfortably above my AIS plan's 50 Mbps cap with 802.11ac.

I just re-ran my internal wifi network test several times and got consistent results of around -+50 Mbps read speed moving a 50 MB file across my home network -- between Huawei N router set to wide channel and my wifi N laptop. (The internal network test is totally unrelated to/independent from ones ISP service).

Wifi N-Huawei Router 1.jpg

As I mentioned before, it may be related in part to there being a lot of 2.4 Ghz wifi competition interference in my location, and as a result I'm getting signal strength RSSI levels of only 40-50 at my laptop as measured by InSSIDer.

PS0866.jpg

In comparison, here's what the 5Ghz channel looks like at my home--no competition at all. Seems pretty clear that 5Ghz AC is going to provide a much faster, less congested connection at my home, particularly when I'm using 5 Ghz AC via my own AC router as opposed to 5 Ghz N (the latter, which the Huawei router 2.4 Ghz only N doesn't even support).

PS0867.jpg

Thus repeating my original point: When it comes to wifi connections, 3BB's standard 2.4 Ghz N Huawei router is likely to be a potential wifi speed constraint for people using 3BB's 200/50 Mbps fiber plan.

That won't matter if you're using the 3BB 200/50 service just via ethernet, or with your own AC class wifi router, as I'm doing.

Nor would it likely matter as much if you're only using AIS's 50 Mbps fiber service, where the peak speeds are more in keeping with the real world performance capacity of the Huawei 2.4 Ghz N router.

Here's a bit more of a comparison.  I have my own DLink AC router set up to solely connect to a Los Angeles VPN. The router is capable of simultaneously broadcasting on 2.4 Ghz N as well as 5 Ghz AC. The router is being fed by my 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber service.

I ran 3 back to back speedtests using the same AC router and the two different wifi networks using Netflix's Fast.com speedtest site in the U.S.  Results as follows:

Netflix Fast.com via 2.4 Ghz Wifi N in my bedroom from my DLink router in the adjoining living room:

34 - 40 - 42 Mbps

Netflix Fast.com via 5 Ghz Wifi AC in my bedroom from my DLink router in the adjoining living room:

51 - 56 - 70 Mbps

Wifi AC 5 Ghz showing 50% to 67% better performance over Wifi N 2.4 Ghz:

--on the low end (50%--51 vs. 34 Mbps)

--on the high end (67%--70 vs. 42 Mbps).

And I should note, anything much over -+ 50 Mbps isn't going to be supported by the 2.4 Ghz wifi network that my Huawei N router provides in my home.

Keep your 2.4 ghz channels to 20Mhz. 40 mhz will surely overlap with other users (unless you live in Single home project with distance between homes are adequate) and lower performance.

I use 20 mhz on 2.4 ghz on Townhouse and it performs better than 40Mhz (router upstairs)

9 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Keep your 2.4 ghz channels to 20Mhz. 40 mhz will surely overlap with other users (unless you live in Single home project with distance between homes are adequate) and lower performance.

I use 20 mhz on 2.4 ghz on Townhouse and it performs better than 40Mhz (router upstairs)

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see. But it really doesn't matter for how I have my home network configured right now.

Because of the inherent speed advantages of 5 Ghz AC wifi, I have my own AC router configured to handle all my video streaming where higher speed rates are important.

Then, I leave my 3BB 2.4 Ghz N router configured just as a local Thai connection, connecting via ethernet to my desktop, and used elsewhere via wifi for non-streaming purposes (email, browsing, etc.) where the higher speeds usually don't much matter.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see. But it really doesn't matter for how I have my home network configured right now.

Because of the inherent speed advantages of 5 Ghz AC wifi, I have my own AC router configured to handle all my video streaming where higher speed rates are important.

Then, I leave my 3BB 2.4 Ghz N router configured just as a local Thai connection, connecting via ethernet to my desktop, and used elsewhere via wifi for non-streaming purposes (email, browsing, etc.) where the higher speeds usually don't much matter.

Why not get rid of 2.4 ghz n router completely? Just use your AC supported high-end router alone.

7 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Why not get rid of 2.4 ghz n router completely? Just use your AC supported high-end router alone.

For one reason, the Huawei 2.4 Ghz N router is also the fiber modem for my 3BB fiber connection.

And second reason, because my own AC router provides a dedicated U.S. VPN connection, while the 3BB N router provides a local Thai connection. And there are times and people (my wife) in the house where a U.S. connection isn't desired.

But I don't want to get too far buried into networking details.

My only point in broaching the issue, and getting into the specifics, is simply that anyone using the new 3BB 200/50 Mbps fiber connection (such as myself) is likely going to have a hard time using its full capability if relying on a wifi connection via the 2.4 Ghz Wifi N-only modem-router that 3BB provides as part of the service.

r

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For one reason, the Huawei 2.4 Ghz N router is also the fiber modem for my 3BB fiber connection.

And second reason, because my own AC router provides a dedicated U.S. VPN connection, while the 3BB N router provides a local Thai connection. And there are times and people (my wife) in the house where a U.S. connection isn't desired.

Fair enough.

But huawei router probably does support Bridge mode, so you can use it's GPON terminal and use pppoe login/password on your second router.

But in your case, having two networks probably better for you.

Make sure you disable 2.4 ghz radio on your second router if it is closely placed to 3bb router. Two 2.4 ghz radios usually distort eachother even if you choose different channels.

Archived