3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

4 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Make sure you disable 2.4 ghz radio on your second router if it is closely placed to 3bb router. Two 2.4 ghz radios usually distort each other even if you choose different channels.

That's an interesting comment. Right now, I have the 2.4 Ghz broadcasting on both routers (which are located next to each other) albeit on entirely separate, non-overlapping channels. I wasn't aware that kind of arrangement would create any conflict...

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's an interesting comment. Right now, I have the 2.4 Ghz broadcasting on both routers (which are located next to each other) albeit on entirely separate, non-overlapping channels. I wasn't aware that kind of arrangement would create any conflict...

Perhaps you can disable 2.4 ghz on your second router and give it a try again to see if wifi throughtput increases?

No bridge mode setting with the AIS-provided HG8245G with the PowerHome 50/10 plan I have been able to find and I've looked numerous time.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same for the 3BB-provided HG8245G.  

Not that the HG8245G could not have a bridge mode setting; it's just the AIS firmware load on the router that prevents it for at least the AIS PowerHome plans because I looked through the router settings numerous times.   If it's there I just can not find it.

However, apparently for the AIS PowerPro plans the provided router can be enabled to bridge mode.  However, for the PowerHome plans the AIS web site instead of saying "enabled bridge mode" like for the PowerPro plans, instead it says you can "can use bridge mode."   Maybe this play on words means 3BB could set your router to bridge mode from their end if you had a real need/begged hard enough, but with the PowerPro plan "you" can enable bridge mode.  Don't really know....see below Q&A from the AIS website regarding the differences in the PowerPro and PowerHome plans and their play on words regarding bridge mode capability on each type of plan.

Capture.JPG

No bridge mode setting with the AIS-provided HG8245G with the PowerHome 50/10 plan I have been able to find and I've looked numerous time.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same for the 3BB-provided HG8245G.  

Not that the HG8245G could not have a bridge mode setting; it's just the AIS firmware load on the router that prevents it for at least the AIS PowerHome plans because I looked through the router settings numerous times.   If it's there I just can not find it.

However, apparently for the AIS PowerPro plans the provided router can be enabled to bridge mode.  However, for the PowerHome plans the AIS web site instead of saying "enabled bridge mode" like for the PowerPro plans, instead it says you can "can use bridge mode."   Maybe this play on words means 3BB could set your router to bridge mode from their end if you had a real need/begged hard enough, but with the PowerPro plan "you" can enable bridge mode.  Don't really know....see below Q&A from the AIS website regarding the differences in the PowerPro and PowerHome plans and their play on words regarding bridge mode capability on each type of plan.

Capture.thumb.JPG.bcf2ba500bea33b556025211073ad535.JPG

AIS must be giving out different hardware in Chiang Mai than in Bangkok. AIS gave me an Edimax BR-6208AC 802.11ac router when they installed my 50/10 Fibre service and I had no difficulty reconfiguring it to operate in bridge mode.

10 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

AIS must be giving out different hardware in Chiang Mai than in Bangkok. AIS gave me an Edimax BR-6208AC 802.11ac router when they installed my 50/10 Fibre service and I had no difficulty reconfiguring it to operate in bridge mode.

What was the timing for your original AIS fiber install with the Edimax AC router?

39 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

They gave me the same router...but just as extra/freebee with the plan....it's still in the box...I"m not using it.   But the main router that the fiber optics terminates in is a  Huawei HG8245G as it has a fiber optics input port.  

However, the Edimax BR-6208AC 802.11AC does not have a fiber optics port...it's just has a regular ethernet type port connector.   AIS Fibre comes in two or three flavors....fiber optics every inch of the way to your residence and router like I have.  The other two flavors is fiber optics to the junction point/ground floor of a highrise/condo type building where it's converted to ethernet or VDSL for the remaining X-meters to your condo/apartment...usually hooked right into the LAN/ethernet/phone system possibly prebuilt into the building....then from that point in the building where the fiber was hooked to/terminated at ethernet/VDSL type cable is used for the last X-meters of the run.

So, with  your AIS Fibre plan is it fiber optics "all the way/every inch to your router" or is it ethernet type cable running to the input of router?   

48 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

In light of Pib's comment above and your mentioning configuring your Edimax router in "bridge mode," does that mean your AIS fiber cable is first coming into the Huawei fiber gigabit N wifi router-modem, and then you're daisy-chaining it to the Edimax for gaining AC wifi?

Here's a picture of a AIS Fibre "VDSL/Ethernet" input router...notice the incoming back wire is a phone/VDSL wire and not a fiber optics cable.   Unless suzannegoh possibly has a setup like TG mentioned in the post above, maybe AIS is now using the Edimax router for AIS Fibre when they make the final connection via "ethernet" (note the unused blue input ethernet  connector below)....or like the guy below who posted below picture where his final few meters are via XDSL (i.e. phone wire). 

Capture.JPG

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

They gave me the same router...but just as extra/freebee with the plan....it's still in the box...I"m not using it.   But the main router that the fiber optics terminates in is a  Huawei HG8245G as it has a fiber optics input port.  

However, the Edimax BR-6208AC 802.11AC does not have a fiber optics port...it's just has a regular ethernet type port connector.   AIS Fibre comes in two or three flavors....fiber optics every inch of the way to your residence and router like I have.  The other two flavors is fiber optics to the junction point/ground floor of a highrise/condo type building where it's converted to ethernet or VDSL for the remaining X-meters to your condo/apartment...usually hooked right into the LAN/ethernet/phone system possibly prebuilt into the building....then from that point in the building where the fiber was hooked to/terminated at ethernet/VDSL type cable is used for the last X-meters of the run.

So, with  your AIS Fibre plan is it fiber optics "all the way/every inch to your router" or is it ethernet type cable running to the input of router?   

I just had the powerpro package installed,  it came with GPON Zte f660 which connects to the fiber directly and a edimax router to extend the range. 

I have connected the f660 router to the edimax router via Ethernet to extend the wireless range of the wifi as my house is 4 floors.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Capture.JPG

Not sure if been answered but AIS Fibre's Huawei router can be used in bridge mode.  I'm on the PowerHome 50/10 package and when they came to install the technician didn't know how to set it up, I called AIS and they changed the settings remotely to bridge mode.  

My own router is setup using PPPoE, username and password should be your account number.

Yes it's a Fibre plan, and yes that Edimax does not accept a fibre input. They gave me an 802.11n router with the WiFi turned off to which they connected the fibre and the Edimax router. Later I swapped out the Edimax in favor of another 802. 11ac router and setup the Edimax as a bridge. The Edimax works well in bridge mode.

In light of Pib's comment above and your mentioning configuring your Edimax router in "bridge mode," does that mean your AIS fiber cable is first coming into the Huawei fiber gigabit N wifi router-modem, and then you're daisy-chaining it to the Edimax for gaining AC wifi?

Yes, that's exactly how AIS's technicians set it up for me.

24 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

I just had the powerpro package installed,  it came with GPON Zte f660 which connects to the fiber directly and a edimax router to extend the range. 

I have connected the f660 router to the edimax router via Ethernet to extend the wireless range of the wifi as my house is 4 floors.

OK, you are really just using the Edimax as an Access Point.  That's the same thing I do with my ASUS router hooked to my AIS Fibre router which still has overall control of main router functions for my home network.

Now, please, please do me (us) a favor since you have the AIS PowerPro package and post some Testmy.net tests to Los Angeles, Tokyo and  London.   One of the reasons the PowerPro packages goes for a higher price than the same speed PowerHome packages is because the Pro packages supposedly offers significantly higher "international" speed but you just have to take AIS's word for it in their advertisements.  Big thanks in advance if you would do this.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK, you are really just using the Edimax as an Access Point.  That's the same thing I do with my ASUS router hooked to my AIS Fibre router which still has overall control of main router functions for my home network.

Now, please, please do me (us) a favor since you have the AIS PowerPro package and post some Testmy.net tests to Los Angeles, Tokyo and  London.   One of the reasons the PowerPro packages goes for a higher price than the same speed PowerHome packages is because the Pro packages supposedly offers significantly higher "international" speed but you just have to take AIS's word for it in their advertisements.  Big thanks in advance if you would do this.

Sure ,  I will do it tonight but my first impressions are kinda disappointing as I have noticed that as soon I use upload speeds higher than 30% of my maximum upload speeds the pings go crazy high(1000 ms) which means Ais has poor bufferbloat. 

Compared to my Cat fiber,  maximizing both download and upload even simultaneously has no effect on ping and bufferbloat remains stable.

Can you please confirm if the same thing happens with you? By conducting upload Speedtest and see the effects on the ping using command prompt 

I am using 50/20 MB package. 

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, I can sure do upload tests but I really don't understand what  you want me to do where you say, "...and see the effects on the ping using command prompt."  How would I do that specifically? 

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, I can sure do upload tests but I really don't understand what  you want me to do where you say, "...and see the effects on the ping using command prompt."  How would I do that specifically? 

Basically just ping 8.8.8.8 using command prompt and do a speedtest on speedtest.net at the same time and just see when the speedtest.net is testing your upload speed does it affect the response time when pinging to 8.8.8.8.

OK, while running a combination test (download and upload) or just an Upload Manual 25MB file size to the Testmy.net LA server "and" running the a cmd line "ping lax.testmy.net" which is their LA server while the tests are running my ping stays steady in the 199ms to 210ms ballpark...no big jump in ping while the speed test is running.  And below is a result of the combination test to LA and snapshot of one of the ping test which ran at the same time as the speed test.   And I also did a cmd line ping to 8.8.8.8 during some of the tests and it stayed steady in the 35 to 36ms range...obviously that ping was being directed/routed to the 8.8.8.8 server in Singapore who approx 35ms is the normal ping time.

5jvluYL1g.EYHfjC9mI.png

Capture.JPG

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK, while running a combination test (download and upload) or just an Upload Manual 25MB file size to the Testmy.net LA server "and" running the a cmd line "ping lax.testmy.net" which is their LA server while the tests are running my ping stays steady in the 199ms to 210ms ballpark...no big jump in ping while the speed test is running.  And below is a result of the combination test to LA and snapshot of one of the ping test which ran at the same time as the speed test.   And I also did a cmd line ping to 8.8.8.8 during some of the tests and it stayed steady in the 35 to 36ms range...obviously that ping was being directed/routed to the 8.8.8.8 server in Singapore who approx 35ms is the normal ping time.

5jvluYL1g.EYHfjC9mI.png

Capture.JPG

Thats strange, earlier when i tested my pings were jumping up as soon as i do any kind of  upload tests. especially with speedtest.net. 

also i see your computer was pinging only four times maybe you can try pinging infinite times( for accurate real time data) using the command ping 8.8.8.8 -t and at the same time do the speed tests again using speedtest.net.

While running a test to Singapore and "not" running a simultaneous ping test to 8.8.8.8 also in Singapore 

mhyWCesjd.TwXqD2FKs.png

While running a test to Singapore and running a simultaneous ping test to 8.8.8.8 also in Singapore...to include snapshot of pings

bQPZU5eGt.A8Mraqd15.png

Capture.JPG

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

While running a test to Singapore and "not" running a simultaneous ping test to 8.8.8.8 also in Singapore 

mhyWCesjd.TwXqD2FKs.png

While running a test to Singapore and running a simultaneous ping test to 8.8.8.8 also in Singapore...to include snapshot of pings

bQPZU5eGt.A8Mraqd15.png

Capture.JPG

thanks you can see the jump in ping during the tests on AIS, if you are playing games and your family members are using the connection for their regular purposes, one's connection to the game servers will start experiencing packet loss and high pings thats what i noticed with my AIS fibre and something that does not happen with my cat fiber.

1 hour ago, shariq607 said:

thanks you can see the jump in ping during the tests on AIS, if you are playing games and your family members are using the connection for their regular purposes, one's connection to the game servers will start experiencing packet loss and high pings thats what i noticed with my AIS fibre and something that does not happen with my cat fiber.

Thats strange. Sure that this was not a wifi issue? Low cost wifi router with two many clients, etc..

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Yes it's a Fibre plan, and yes that Edimax does not accept a fibre input. They gave me an 802.11n router with the WiFi turned off to which they connected the fibre and the Edimax router. Later I swapped out the Edimax in favor of another 802. 11ac router and setup the Edimax as a bridge. The Edimax works well in bridge mode.

So Pib, it would seem we finally have a backdoor likely explanation of why AIS gave you the extra (AC) router. But a bit odd that the techs didn't offer to set it up, or just set it up along with your Huawei Wifi N router, when they did the install.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So Pib, it would seem we finally have a backdoor likely explanation of why AIS gave you the extra (AC) router. But a bit odd that the techs didn't offer to set it up, or just set it up along with your Huawei Wifi N router, when they did the install.

Don't know....I was just sooooo happy to get the fiber.  

But regarding where suzzanehog said the AIS tech set the Edimax up in "bridge" mode, I wonder if she really saying it was just setup as an "Access Point" like how shariq607 says his AIS installation is setup, which may mean the AIS provide main router is still in control of the core routing function.

Bridging and Access Point setup is really two different things.   Heck, anytime you plug another Wifi router in another router you created another Access Point and normally you should turn off the DHCP functions in the Access Point router so as not to cause a conflict/fighting for control between the primary router and the Access Point.  Then there are variations of Bridging also. 

Heck, I have my own ASUS router hooked to the AIS router..the ASUS is setup as an Access Point (I mean specifically setup as an Access Point versus just another router).  And if I would run up stairs, take that Edimax out of its box and plug it to the AIS primary router I would have another Access Point.  But that would not change a thing/any control function in the AIS primary router which does not have a Bridging setting "accessible."  I could very well be a greyed out function only changeable by AIS unless maybe you have the HomePro package where it appears the Bridging function "may" be changeable by the customer.

Archived