McGarrett Instant Oats.

NoshowJones

2 hours ago, nickmanchester2 said:

only 3 tablespoons? thats about 30 grams... do you have anything else for breakfast?

Yes, I have the porridge when I get up about 6 30am, then I go for a ride on my bike, and then to the exercise park.

Have my main breakfast around 9.30am oat bread with boiled egg, cup of tea with half cal sugar, carton of yogurt.

Maybe that's why I am one of the very few expats out here who is not overweight.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get my oats by the sackful in bed every night then i dont have to worry about wasting my precious time excercising.

Keeps me slim and toned ready for my bacon and egg sarnie for breakfast.

On 20/10/2016 at 3:28 PM, JoePai said:

If you think Hahne good, try the original : Scott's Porage Oats - superb   :thumbsup:

Where in Thailand can you buy the Scott's Oats? Thats what I ate in my childhood. I'm currently eating Quaker Quick Cooking Oatmeal from Makro.

I switched after McGarrett Oats became unmicrowaveable to steel-cut oats, which are a little tastier, but somewhat less convenient.  Lately, I put 1/3 cup of the steel-cut oats in a frying pan with 1 2/3 cup water into the oven set at hybrid convection/supersteam setting of 200 degrees C for one hour.  Comes out perfect every time with no stirring. 

On 11/7/2016 at 10:37 AM, CaptHaddock said:

I switched after McGarrett Oats became unmicrowaveable to steel-cut oats, which are a little tastier, but somewhat less convenient.  Lately, I put 1/3 cup of the steel-cut oats in a frying pan with 1 2/3 cup water into the oven set at hybrid convection/supersteam setting of 200 degrees C for one hour.  Comes out perfect every time with no stirring. 

I bought "choices" porridge oats in Tops, the best I have tasted, although I have not tried "Hahne" yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I googled McGarrett oats because I'm having the same problem - mine  also seem to absorb less water so I get a separated, watery chewy and inedible bowl of porridge. I've switched brands now - the oats seem harder somehow, almost as if they have been toasted or dried out. 

• 6 months later...

I'd previously had problems with McGarrett.  Bought some yesterday however (as I couldn't see anything else in the shop that I was in) and they were OK this time.  I do normally soak them overnight in the fridge though, microwaved for 2 minutes, fine.  Maybe they've had lots of complaints and changed production again.  Bought the blue packet as usual.  Must admit I find the Quaker Instant have a slightly creamier taste for me so I won't be sticking with McGarrett unless I run out again and can't get to a place with Quaker easily.  Might give the Hahne a go next time round.

• 2 months later...

I use the same oats and have done for a few years,i normally just boil the milk and then just add it and of course stir afterwards when its in the plate,I have noticed at times that it can be a bit finer,but i dont measure it just guess,so i always think when its finer that perhaps i guessed wrong with the measure by guess.I think if you put the porridge on the plate and boil the milk or water seperate,whichever you use,you may find a better result.Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I've got three packets of McGarrett Rolled Oats.

My wife bought them as a surprise for me, being unaware I always buy Quaker Quick Cooking Oats.

I had to google to find out the difference and how to cook them.

Just had my first bowl of them. Took twice as long to cook and needed more milk too.

They're OK-ish, but I'll go back to the Quaker next time.

She bought them in Big C as there was a buy-two-get-one-free offer, making them cheaper than Quaker.

I can now see why they were selling them cheaper too.

I have a problem to digest uncooked oats , its hard on your stomach. But I love a cooked oat porridge , mixed with cinnamon and some yoghurt/frozen berries. 

A perfect start of the morning and you will not feel hungry again until the end of the day. 

Most work days, at my office desk, for years i have muesli or granola  with dried fruit & nuts in milk covered in a different yoghurt - i enjoy it. However I've  always wanted to try porridge - ive never had it. So ive read this thread on different  brands available here but how exactly do i make it and what type of consistency  am i looking  for? Add anything in to it? Educate me guys.

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Most work days, at my office desk, for years i have muesli or granola  with dried fruit & nuts in milk covered in a different yoghurt - i enjoy it. However I've  always wanted to try porridge - ive never had it. So ive read this thread on different  brands available here but how exactly do i make it and what type of consistency  am i looking  for? Add anything in to it? Educate me guys.

I just bought some McGarret. I use 8 tablespoons with a China cup full of 2/3 water, 1/3 sesame soy milk, a tablespoon of brown sugar. Put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add a touch of Condensed milk product (I wish they had real condensed milk), some fruit if I have and yummy. MY method makes it very thick as I like it thick. Seems like I am eating something then.

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Educate me guys

I eat porridge the Scandinavian or German way .   

Hahne oat , German import , blue type,  is sold everywhere, in Big C, Makro etc.  Only 50 baht . 

I prepare the porridge in the micro , one bowl with oat and water , full power for 2 minutes and 10 seconds.  Then I add cinnamon , a few frozen berries and natural yoghurt. 

That's it , delicious and keep you going for a few hours. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 3:36 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

rolled, instant and quick cooking

All of them will give you porridge , It's just the cooking time , instant I think is processed , for microwave I would choose quick cooking. 

On 10/20/2016 at 9:31 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes, that's true, but I prefer instant oats, Scotts don't make that.

I read that Instant Oats have stuff added to thicken the porridge up. I use Quick Cooking (like the Hahne small oats). Four heaped spoons, skimmed milk and EXACTLY three minutes in the m'wave, unless you like cleaning up after it boiling over. And stir it halfway through makes it more creamy.

I prefer oat bran to just regular oats.

Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran is the best I've tasted - 

http://sunshinemarket.co.th/wp/index.php/product/organic-oat-bran-cereal/

Just add water, a teaspoon each of peanut butter and honey, and it is absolutely delicious.
Banana and/or granola in there also works extremely well.

Highly recommended.

I prefer oat bran to just regular oats.

Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran is the best I've tasted - 
http://sunshinemarket.co.th/wp/index.php/product/organic-oat-bran-cereal/

Just add water, a teaspoon each of peanut butter and honey, and it is absolutely delicious.
Banana and/or granola in there also works extremely well.

Highly recommended.
Really ? Peanut butter in the oat porridge ? Must be an American thing . Sounds weird to me. I add some natural yoghurt and frozen berries, and bit of cinnamon . Thats it.

Archived