What Is The Cheapest Way to Get Around in Thailand?

Andrew C

I've heard some people say that tuk tuk's are one of the most expensive ways to get around in Thailand and that those who use these regularly are actually losing a ridiculous amount of money. Is this true? If so, what is the alternative? what do you guys use to get around in Thailand?

It really depends on where you are... In Bangkok, taxis are relatively cheap but they have a skytrain and subways... Pattaya has baht busses which are extremely cheap if you are on their route, but really, there are different alternatives in different areas at different prices... if you are traveling the countryside, busses are quite reasonable and probably worth the little extra for a VIP bus as opposed to one making local stops...

Away from Bangkok, trains are probably cheapest but slowest and safest. It would be nice to not have to travel anywhere by road (the death and injury rates in Thailand are appalling) but try to avoid using vans or utility vehicles or motor bikes. After trains I would suggest buses but many of them also "leave the road" but still better than vans etc. You pay your money you takes your chances, unfortunately.

In Bangkok use the trains, BTS or MRT followed by taxis. In Pattaya use the baht bus. 

38 minutes ago, malt25 said:

If you really are a Cheap Charlie, walking is the cheapest option. But don't forget to factor in the cost of your shoes, assuming you don't go barefoot.

You beat me to it . Can't be a cheaper way and thumbing a lift at the same time while out on the load.

around Bangkok the local non AC buses are cheap , 8 baht or so from end to end , 

The trains are real cheap in 3rd class with no AC , 

it really matters what you are trying to do , buses are nice because you sit above traffic and can see more.......

But you can also get stuck in traffic jams , 

Skytrain and MRT Subway are fast but expensive compared to the bus

26 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I knew new subway has senior fare, I didn't know BTS had a senior

fare too...Thanks

The BTS discounted senior fares are for Thai nationality only. The MRT does give a discount to all seniors, but you will need to queue at the ticket kiosk to buy a token for an individual journey, or a stored value card for multiple journeys. Proof of age required.

3 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

.....and fastest way to die on the roads.

I think safer than a motor bike, the slower you are going the better chance of avoiding the many obstacles. Run over from behind is deffinataly an issue but same on motor bike.

20 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I think safer than a motor bike, the slower you are going the better chance of avoiding the many obstacles. Run over from behind is deffinataly an issue but same on motor bike.

Perhaps, but with a motorbike you can hit the gas and

get out of the way ;. A bicycle you're road kill!

6 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Perhaps, but with a motorbike you can hit the gas and

get out of the way ;. A bicycle you're road kill!

I don't see an argument here, either way your life is at risk big time. I had two close calls yesterday in my truck, usually only one every couple of days, but back home two a year maybe.

Cheapest way to get around in Thailand is by bus or train – Thias prefer busses, and the system covers almost all parts of the nation, and works very well when you get used to it (many signs in Thai language only, but people are very helpful). You have a choice of different levels of "class" from VIP-busses and down. A long-distance trip with aircon VIP-bus is in the range around 1,000 baht, same trip with a lower level bus is about half that price.

Trains also has different classes, a long-distance 2nd class fan will be around 600 baht. When saying "long-distance" that could be like Bangkok to Chiang Mai, or Bangkok to Phuket (train only to Surat Thani) – perhaps some other posters know price levels more precise and up-to-date than me, and will be kind to inform you.

When in a town or area, normally the local kind of public transportation is the cheapest way to get around – if you don't walk or rent a vehicle yourself, like a motorbike. The public transportation may vary from area to area, i.e. in Bangkok you have a choice between city-busses, SkyTrain, Airport Link, and Underground train – the trains works very well, are fast compared to roads, and are fair priced. Motorbike taxi is a cheap and fast alternative (if one is cool enough to dare that in Bangkok; talk from experience:crying:).

In other places the transport might be so-called "song thaew" – a pick-up car with two (song) row (thaew) of seats on the back, covered with a shading roof. In Pattaya the song thaew is called "baht bus". They often drive on fixed routes, but stop where ever needed along the route (there's a bell button to press, when one want to get off). Prices are normally fixed for certain distances, for example in Pattaya it used to be 10 baht (presume that why it's called bath bus), but that price may have changed since I last visited the place, many years ago. Other places today you can count from 20 baht for a short distance and up to around 100 baht. Always check the price first (sometimes there is a price sign on or inside the car). From evening the song thaews often drives like a taxi, and you need to agree a price. Some places song thaews operates only like taxis, but without meter. 

And that – check the price first – goes for all transportation, except public trains and busses. Never drive with a taxi not using the meter – in that case, at least agree a price first – and when riding motorbike taxi or tuk-tuk always agree how much for your exact destination. In some cases a tuk-tuk will charge you more than a metered taxi...:whistling:

Wish you good luck with your touring in Land-of-Smiles.

:smile:

Dear Viewer!

I would highly recommend to travel within Thailand by " TRAIN " it really is the only real way to travel and see the real Thailand! They are ridiculously cheap ( approx 10 baht per hour journey on a 3rd class Train ) Longer distances i would recommend the Express and Special Express Trains.You can also use these Trains within Bangkok for under 5 baht ( can you afford 5 baht viewers..? ) Forget using Buses and minivans in fact try to keep well away from the roads as the driving is dreadful! 

A while back i did a " Travelling by Train " post right here on Thai Visa ( Moderators..no need to start getting twitchy....) 

So climb aboard these fabulous trains and sit back in 3rd class and " feel the wind in your hair " .

Greetings to you all,

Your Thai Visa friend ... x

9 minutes ago, canarysun said:

Dear Viewer!

I would highly recommend to travel within Thailand by " TRAIN " it really is the only real way to travel and see the real Thailand! They are ridiculously cheap ( approx 10 baht per hour journey on a 3rd class Train ) Longer distances i would recommend the Express and Special Express Trains.You can also use these Trains within Bangkok for under 5 baht ( can you afford 5 baht viewers..? ) Forget using Buses and minivans in fact try to keep well away from the roads as the driving is dreadful! 

A while back i did a " Travelling by Train " post right here on Thai Visa ( Moderators..no need to start getting twitchy....) 

So climb aboard these fabulous trains and sit back in 3rd class and " feel the wind in your hair " .

Greetings to you all,

Your Thai Visa friend ... x

There is little doubt that the long distance trains are best way to travel, but the local 3rd class, that's a different story.

The train from Chonburi into Bangkok is 22 baht and takes about 4 hours, you may be able to sit on a wooden bench for that length of time but I found it extremely uncomfortable.

The bus on the other hand is 73 baht, takes about 1 hour 20 minutes and has quite comfortable seats.

Archived