Yamaha Xmax 300 coming to Thailand?

jackcorbett

I too saw the news about the new X-Max on my Facebook feed. From what I've read, it's built in Indonesia. Good to hear from at least one source that it may make its way to Thailand. By the numbers, it looks to outclass its competitors (e.g. the Forza, Burgman 200 and Sym GTS300i ) - more HP, more torque, less weight, more fuel capacity, bigger tires and brakes.

Personally,  the styling suits me better than the Forza. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yada yada. If anything, the X-Max tries to be a little too sporty/aggresive whereas the Forza is way too bland and bloated. The black-gray and black-white color schemes look pretty sharp, but the brown-black is fugly! 

A big question mark is the price tag. If it's really 240,000 that'll definitely put a damper on my enthusiasm and I doubt many Thais will go for it either. If Yamaha can keep it around 160-190K, similar to the Forza, then they may get more attention. Another question mark is whether Honda will revamp the Forza in 2017 or 2018. If Honda can sharpen up the styling and shuck some of the weight while keeping it at the same price point, I just might go for that instead. 

With the NMax and now the XMax, it seems that Yamaha is working hard to loosen Honda's stranglehold in the premium and superscoot markets. Honda's been quiet so far, but I bet they'll release some updated products in the next year or two to fend off Yamaha's assault. 

On 21/10/2016 at 11:52 AM, HeyNow said:

I too saw the news about the new X-Max on my Facebook feed. From what I've read, it's built in Indonesia. Good to hear from at least one source that it may make its way to Thailand. By the numbers, it looks to outclass its competitors (e.g. the Forza, Burgman 200 and Sym GTS300i ) - more HP, more torque, less weight, more fuel capacity, bigger tires and brakes.

Personally,  the styling suits me better than the Forza. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yada yada. If anything, the X-Max tries to be a little too sporty/aggresive whereas the Forza is way too bland and bloated. The black-gray and black-white color schemes look pretty sharp, but the brown-black is fugly! 

A big question mark is the price tag. If it's really 240,000 that'll definitely put a damper on my enthusiasm and I doubt many Thais will go for it either. If Yamaha can keep it around 160-190K, similar to the Forza, then they may get more attention. Another question mark is whether Honda will revamp the Forza in 2017 or 2018. If Honda can sharpen up the styling and shuck some of the weight while keeping it at the same price point, I just might go for that instead. 

With the NMax and now the XMax, it seems that Yamaha is working hard to loosen Honda's stranglehold in the premium and superscoot markets. Honda's been quiet so far, but I bet they'll release some updated products in the next year or two to fend off Yamaha's assault. 

if Made in Indonesia, right, the price can be interesting...if less 160 K THB

Saw a post on a Thai website today which puts the price at 210,000 baht with a debut on 17-March-2017:

http://car250.com/yamaha-xmax-300-เปิดตัว-17-มีนาคม-2017-ราคา-21000-บ.html

But from my reading of the article, it's only talking about a European release date and the price is a direct conversion from the price of 5,499 Euros mentioned in another article. So it's still unclear whether or not this will be released in Thailand, and if so, at what price.  If they try to sell it at 210,000 baht here, I don't think there will be many takers. 

On 10/27/2016 at 6:21 PM, eisfeld said:

Are they imports or why are the prices of the bigger Yamaha scooters way too high? You can buy a CB500F for that kind of money. Same like the T Max for 470k THB. What justifies these prices?

I thought at first that the country of manufacture (Indonesia) on this bike might have to do with the higher price. But then I remembered that the NMax is made in Indonesia too, and Yamaha has priced it very competitively against the PCX. So I suspect that the Thai authors of the articles above are just taking the European price of 5,499 euros, converting it directly into 210,000 baht and putting it up there as a ballpark figure for the time being.

We'll have to wait to find out what the actual price is, but I doubt Yamaha would be so foolish as to think that the Xmax could compete against the Forza at that price. Many of the comments by Thais on Facebook are saying that it's a nice bike but "pheng maak!" The Forza at around 160,000 is already a hard sell to most people here.

Yes the price has to be in Forza territory in order to compete (for Thai buyers) but many expats don't mind paying a bit more if its looks better/better riding.

See a lot of Nmax around now, they looks very nice and I am considering getting one when I replace my PCX from 2012 but the pcx still rides fine, so I keep it for now.

I congratulate Honda with the Forza, one of the most ugly scooters ever made, it looks like a ship from behind, LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Saw this on FB today:

https://web.facebook.com/YamahaXMAXThailand/posts/1825566707698992

Originally, I'd been seeing Thai websites mentioning prices in the range of 210,000 baht. Way too expensive. But now it looks like the price may be 165,000 give or take. Another poster posted something similar, but I can't find the link anymore.

That's an attractive price for a maxi scoot that's lighter and more powerful than the Forza. Not to mention a whole lot better looking, at least in my eyes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That March date for release was an outright joke. I went to three Yamaha dealers in Chiang Mai in the past two weeks and got the same answer. No XMax 300 before December. Given the Thai propensity for ouright lying to your face I doubt if this scooter will be available until early 2018. A bloody shame as I had planned on getting my hands on one instead of buying the Forza. Now with Honda planning on some changes to the Forza to compete with the XMax and introducing it to the Thai market in December I am going to wait and hopefully do a side by side in early 2018. Unless the Forza trims a lot of weight, ups the power and matches or exceeds the XMax in other areas the choice should be an easy one.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

With updated(?) version of the Forza 300 to be released this Dec, and the likely hood the Yamaha Xmax 300 will be for sale at the beginning of next year, it will be we the consumer who will win out because both companies should try to release their best 'Thai' version in order to win the most market share ...... Will Honda rise to meet Yamaha's cool Xmax features? 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:20 AM, luwahn said:

With updated(?) version of the Forza 300 to be released this Dec, and the likely hood the Yamaha Xmax 300 will be for sale at the beginning of next year, it will be we the consumer who will win out because both companies should try to release their best 'Thai' version in order to win the most market share ...... Will Honda rise to meet Yamaha's cool Xmax features? 

Very likely, they got busy copying the Fino when they saw how good it sold, Scoppy i design is pretty much "borrowed" from Fino.

Looks like Yamaha currently have the best designers, the Arox looks very cool and their small sports-bike range sells like hot cakes here in LOS.

Thankfully the Thais are not so brand royal anymore but buy the best looking scooters/bikes they can afford, especially the young Thais wants something that looks cool and not a tired looking Honda Wave/Dream.

Waaaaaake up Honda, stop dreaming, ha-ha.

• Like 2

It's going to be real interesting to see what build strategy Honda chooses for its Forza 300 (350?) upgrade. IMHO, they could also upgrade the handle bar and dash to a more luxurious look, match the Xmax 15" wheel and offer an adjustable windscreen for starters.

As a final thought, I hope that my memory is not so faulty but I seem to recall that in Bangkok every late November there is another Auto Show. It would be nice to go there and actually have the opportunity to check out these two scooters, sit on them, compare all the specs and maybe swing a deal if incentives are offered by buying at that time.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app