Yamaha Xmax 300 coming to Thailand?

jackcorbett

Well done video as his thoughts were from the perspective of a motorbike rider who has never ridden this type of scooter. If he gave the Xmax300 such high praise it stands to reason that those of us who ride scooters exclusively will be treated to an outstanding machine. On another note, I stopped in to the two of the bigger Yamaha dealers here in Chiang Mai and was told once again No Hab, maybe December.

As an added note, I inquired about a top box and mounting plate for the Xmax 300 and first was told they are not available. The lad then decided to check with his mate who spoke better English and he said yes there was this option available. How much I asked?? A check in some catalog and his mobile phone and he quotes me nearly 12000 Baht. <deleted>????? That is blatent highway robbery, surely there are shops in Chiang Mai that will cut that price by 50%. I payed 6800 baht for the same thing when I added them to my PCX 150 in early 2016. No <deleted> way am I going to pay 12000 + baht at a Yamaha shop.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:06 PM, idman said:

Well done video as his thoughts were from the perspective of a motorbike rider who has never ridden this type of scooter. If he gave the Xmax300 such high praise it stands to reason that those of us who ride scooters exclusively will be treated to an outstanding machine. On another note, I stopped in to the two of the bigger Yamaha dealers here in Chiang Mai and was told once again No Hab, maybe December.

The Yamaha dealer in the old town near the 3 kings monument did have one on display recently at least .

And just when I thought that Yamaha had one upped Honda and their bathtub on two wheels, aka the Forza 300 there is a very good possibility that they will bring the Xmax 400 to the Thai market. For those holding out hope that the 2018 Honda Forza 300 will give the Xmax 300 a run for its money there is a video now available on youtube. It's just a walkaround with that assinine music to pi...ss you off but from what I saw it looked the same, not a good sign.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:08 AM, idman said:

As an added note, I inquired about a top box and mounting plate for the Xmax 300 and first was told they are not available. The lad then decided to check with his mate who spoke better English and he said yes there was this option available. How much I asked?? A check in some catalog and his mobile phone and he quotes me nearly 12000 Baht. <deleted>????? That is blatent highway robbery, surely there are shops in Chiang Mai that will cut that price by 50%. I payed 6800 baht for the same thing when I added them to my PCX 150 in early 2016. No <deleted> way am I going to pay 12000 + baht at a Yamaha shop.

I would think that if this model proves to be popular it wont be long before a huge range of accessories appear on the market.

If however you are one of the first to own one, there are lots of local welding fabricators about who should be  able and willing to 'knock up' a rack to fit.  Out Mae Rim way I know of a local shop that makes stainless steel exhaust systems for bikes, they also do aluminium welding.  Very good quality welders that dont charge like a wounded bull.

I'll wait till 'Pops' get some in as rentals and take one for a spin to see if they are all they are cracked up to be first.

• Like 1

One of the Yamaha dealers has a few bikes on display in the lobby of Big C Ladprao over the weekend.  I stopped and chatted with one of the girls...she wasn't able to give me too much info on the Xmax 300 other than 168,000 baht and 3 months lead time.   I asked if they had a dealer model for me to test ride...that's where I lost her.  Anyone know of a Yamaha dealer in the Bangkok area that has one I can take for a spin?

on the main stand its way higher, have to put it down - with 178cm easy to touch the ground and handle

I get my bike tonight :-) currently on the way down from BKK

according to Yamaha Pattaya/Sukhumvit currently 4 month waiting if order today....

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 6:22 PM, jtb said:

YouTube vlogger TheMissendenFlyer has just posted a first impressions/roadtest for the Xmax300 which is well worth watching.

Very informative video - gives me much more respect for the handling abilities and features of this 300cc class machine. Though the rider/narr ator did not go into any real detail about the quality of the suspension of the Xmax. I, too, then ran down to a local Yamaha dealer and got a chance to sit on their nice looking, newly arrived, gray Xmax 300 display model with some of the shipping plastic still on it. The driving position felt good to me. I then walked down the street to sit on one of Honda's nice looking blue Forza 300 display models ....

On 9/16/2017 at 4:21 PM, marino28 said:

if the xmax 400 really make it here, it will be the scooter to have.

While you do gain a few more bHP with the Xmax 400 vs the Xmax 300,  you lose in wheel size: 14" - 13" (on the Xmax 400) vs 15" - 14" (on the Xmax 300) and traffic filtering ... more pluses?

On 9/15/2017 at 9:33 PM, MrJ said:

just got info that my Xmas has arrived and is ready for shipping to Pattaya - as I am abroad have to wait for next week :-(

Congratulations on your new Xmax!!Can you be the first to give us your take on a head-to-head comparison between your new Xmax 300 vs your old Forza 300? I am particularly interested in the comparison of the ride quality and handling (esp over pot-filled roads)? I know that the Xmax is probably more quicker than the Forza, but do you notice any ride difference that can be attributed to the difference in tire size between the two scooters? 

13 hours ago, MrJ said:

first impressions after 50km

• very good overall quality 
  • very impressive handling and stability guess due to the big wheels
  • very practical and large under seat storage
  • great night vision / head lights
  • very comfortable seat and sitting/leg position
  • may want to change the standard wind shield to the short black one (original Yamaha accessories 3.4K) , design wise and to reduce some wind noise at the head/helmet
  • may consider black/carbon Akrapovic slip on but with 32.5k very expensive
  • will order 2nd/spare remote control 2.2K
  • was so far only at 120km/h hardly notice the speed as it runs very smooth and effortless 
  • as stated in various reviews in the net the breaks are missing little responsiveness and need a strong hand
  • so far 4l/100km
  • at least 1 league above my previous Forza 300

X-cellent, X-cellent first impression post!! :clap2:

•  

So Xmax 300's larger 15" - 14" wheels (than Forza's 14" - 13") is immediately noticed during the ride
. Xmax 300 runs smoothly at a far higher speed (>120km/h) than Forza's ~110km/h

. What would be your recommendation to improve the 'responsiveness' of the brakes on the Xmax 300: Larger disc/caliper or dual disc (aka Xmax 400)?

. Is your windshield currently set to its highest position? Were you wearing a full face helmet when you experienced the wind noise? How do you compare the wind noise between the two scooters? 

. What is your impression bout the suspension: How would you compare it to that of the Forza's, while riding 2-up and while riding over pot-holed roads?

Edited by Ahnsahn

. What is your impression bout the suspension: How would you compare it to that of the Forza's, while riding 2-up and while riding over pot-holed roads?

Thanks

I guess I will get used to the brake set up and wont change anything - just need to use more hand power especially compared to the very good Nmax brakes

According to the dealer the windshield is on the top position but I cant really confirm/see this, will check with the local Pattaya dealer, I use a 3/4 open face Nolan helmet with big screen, compared to the wind noise withe Forza I think its similar or slightly better , but i do like more the set up of the Nmax which has a short sporty screen and I do mainly city driving of around 10km/trip and are happy to get some wind/blow at hot times but dont like constant buzzing

the suspension feels better than the Nmax and far superior vs the Forza, especially on pot holes ans similar bad road conditions, no difference solo (85kg) or together with the wife (+40kg)

the high riding position gives you a great view to the the road and surroundings

handling is very easy like a bicycle even on low speeds, just has a longer turn radius - but easy to adapt

But I think after about 1.000km I can give a better review and may confirm or not my 1st impressions

the seat feels great, very comfy and good lumbar support, way on top of all bikes I have driven, the 2 foot rest positions.leg room are good as well, slightly below Nmax standard but clear above Forza

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of the Nmax.  Yes.  It has fantastic brakes.  Also lately been doing more two up riding and not just with my gf.  For example.  I had my gf on it and a friend who weighs more than 200 pounds so it was 3 up and the bike felt very stable considering.  Then today, had another friend on it with me.  Normally he rents PCX's.  Handled very nicely with good pickup.  And we went about 12 kilometers 2 up.  Rory weighing over 180 pounds and myself at around 170.

Then I discussed the two up riding with another good friend who recently got an Nmax 155 and then sent his 150 PCX upcountry for family use.  Richard's take on the Nmax is it is rough riding compared to some other bikes such as the PCX.  (while the upcoming Xmax should have a really cushy ride).   This is due to the firmer suspension of the Nmax which makes it have a harsher ride.  However, he did comment that it is much better than the PCX 150 for taking on heavier loads such as I've been undertaking lately.  Richard is thinking of getting an Xmax when it is available.  But we both agree that the Nmax is a fantastic bike.  

8 hours ago, MrJ said:

Thanks

I guess I will get used to the brake set up and wont change anything - just need to use more hand power especially compared to the very good Nmax brakes.

I hope you keep us posted with frequent updates of your impressions of the Xmax 300 because you are in the unique position of having also driven the  Forza 300, Nmax 155 (with its excellent braking) and the classic PCX(?).

What do you think can be done to make the brakes of the Xmax 300 to be equally as responsive as the brakes on the Nmax?

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Let them bed-in would be a good start...he'd only done 50km  :whistling:

The degree of 'brake responsiveness' I am referring to is way beyond the realm of remedy that any break-in period could ever resolve. The Nmax is renowned for its braking quality from the moment of purchase as is the Xmax 400 and the Tmax among others.

I would like to know, on a mechanical level, what is needed to bring the braking system of the Xmax 300 up to this standard.

Many thanks for your initial riding impressions of the Xmax 300. I look forward to your updates as the scooter continues its break in period. That 2200 baht for a second remote key is a bit steep as Honda's is only 1200 baht but having an extra handy is worth it, plus you can never loose money as it adds to the value when you go to sell the scooter. One question, do you notice a quicker acceleration when you pull away from a stop?

Congt on the Xmax 300, sounds like a very good scooter and I also saw most of the Youtube video, nice.

+32k baht for the exhaust is crazy, sure you can get (later) another aftermarket one for below 10k. The expensive exhausts are sometimes stolen, food for thought.

As an additional warning, in come cases adding an after market exhaust before the original warrenty expires voids your warrenty entirely. I almost got caught doing that to my current scooter just after I had purchased it. I wanted to upgrade to an Akrapovic but the sales guy at Honda Bigwing clued me in to what would happen. As for Yamaha's policy I don't know but I would certainly make sure any changes don't void the warrenty.

thank for the warning - but 1st: Yamaha sells the Akrapovic as accessories via their website for the Xmax (Europe)

2nd; I will keep the original exhaust and its easy to switch back 3rd: my local Yamaha man in Pattaya told me he will "take care" any issues regarding warranty

update

- the 2nd remote is 1.500 only in Pattaya ordered already (2.200 in BKK)

- short/dark windscreen ordered already

- stock windscreen is on top position (tried lower position but was worse)

- waiting still for other quotes for the exhaust then the 32.5k (more/less similar price to Europe) from BKK Akrapovic black/carbon slip on with cat (official importer)

- have now 300km on the Odo, consumption 3.3l/100km or 30km/l (both ways indicated at the  board computer)

- get already more used to the brakes

- feels little less left at 120km/h on the throttle

- after 1 week still waiting to see the 2nd Xmax on the road

Anybody has experience about the breaking-in period? the Yamaha manual indicates 1.000km not over 4.500 revs (hard to do as easy revs up) and 1.500km not over 6.500 revs

On 9/27/2017 at 5:13 PM, MrJ said:

thank for the warning - but 1st: Yamaha sells the Akrapovic as accessories via their website for the Xmax (Europe)

2nd; I will keep the original exhaust and its easy to switch back 3rd: my local Yamaha man in Pattaya told me he will "take care" any issues regarding warranty

update

- the 2nd remote is 1.500 only in Pattaya ordered already (2.200 in BKK)

- short/dark windscreen ordered already

- stock windscreen is on top position (tried lower position but was worse)

- waiting still for other quotes for the exhaust then the 32.5k (more/less similar price to Europe) from BKK Akrapovic black/carbon slip on with cat (official importer)

- have now 300km on the Odo, consumption 3.3l/100km or 30km/l (both ways indicated at the  board computer)

- get already more used to the brakes

- feels little less left at 120km/h on the throttle

- after 1 week still waiting to see the 2nd Xmax on the road

Anybody has experience about the breaking-in period? the Yamaha manual indicates 1.000km not over 4.500 revs (hard to do as easy revs up) and 1.500km not over 6.500 revs

Everything sounds to be going well, only +300 km on the OD?  :-)  

Of course outrageous accessory dealer pricing should be no surprise for one of its newly released models. :-|  though an extra remote key (or two) is definitely a wise option when thinking long term and the sweet sound of your Xmax 300 with an added Akrapovic black/carbon muffler can not be beat (except by a Xmax 300 with a with Leo Vince muffler !! - IMHO)   :-P  .... You will definitely be a unique Xmax 300 rider for awhile!!
I am surprised about your experience with the wind screen. Could it be that your height is too tall for it and that a shorter person might enjoy better wind protection? Do the brakes feel average now or better than average? 

No break-in experience with this 300cc engine

The breaking in period have been subject to many discussions on different biker forums over the years:

Some says, ride it as you stole for the 1st 100 km and then do an oil change and that's that, and others says just ride it as you pleases and then the last group says follow the manual  strictly. I don't know myself which route to take but when I ran in my big bike a couple of years back, I tried to vary the rpm all the time and got the oil changed at 1000km. I sometimes gunned it but not near the red line and off-course always let the engine heat up before going high rpm. The Kawa shop said, don't go 200km/h yet but wait, 555.

On an auto scooter things are a bit differently as it's an auto trans. Lot of city riding is likely good for running in as the revs vary a lot all the time. It's not good sitting on the highways doing a constant 100km/h for hours but better go up/down in speed sometimes if you are out there.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ahnsahn said:

Everything sounds to be going well, only +300 km on the OD?  :-)  

Of course outrageous accessory dealer pricing should be no surprise for one of its newly released models. :-|  though an extra remote key (or two) is definitely a wise option when thinking long term and the sweet sound of your Xmax 300 with an added Akrapovic black/carbon muffler can not be beat (except by a Xmax 300 with a with Leo Vince muffler !! - IMHO)   :-P  .... You will definitely be a unique Xmax 300 rider for awhile!!
I am surprised about your experience with the wind screen. Could it be that your height is too tall for it and that a shorter person might enjoy better wind protection? Do the brakes feel average now or better than average? 

No break-in experience with this 300cc engine

yes I guess a smaller driver may don't have any issue, when I lower my head the wind is down to a minumum - but hope the short screen will send all wind to my chest only

get already good used to the brakes - would rate it over average 

Edited by MrJ

On 9/30/2017 at 10:46 AM, MrJ said:

yes I guess a smaller driver may don't have any issue, when I lower my head the wind is down to a minumum - but hope the short screen will send all wind to my chest only

get already good used to the brakes - would rate it over average 

I sure hope the higher-set windscreen works for me.

Just noticed that you sold your Forza 300 - nice one, that's why it sold so quickly!! How much time did you spend at the DLT office to complete the title transfer?