Phuket: Two Russians killed in horrific midnight crash

webfact

Two Russians killed in horrific midnight crash

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg   

The victims were trapped inside the car. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- Two Russians died today after the car they were travelling in crashed into an electric pole on the bypass road just after midnight.

“The victims were trapped inside the car, which was seriously damaged and stuck to the pole. Rescue workers had to cut the car to pry it loose and release the victims, both of whom were already dead,” said Maj Nattaya Suwanpong of Phuket City Police.

The bodies of the victims were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Two-Russians-killed-horrific-midnight-crash/65750?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-21

RIP

Poor driving for the conditions meeting an immovable object.

These concrete lampposts are probably cheap and practical, but don't have any give when struck by traffic. There's probably a good reason why wooden posts are used where I come from. 

slippery and wet...

check whether the driver was under the influence...

What's the poor poles responsibility?

If there is no pole they will find a wall.

In my last country there were huge old trees flanking the alleys.

Killed many young drunkards returning from disco.

Blame the trees?

Guardrails would be the solution.

Quite rare in Thailand.

And if there are guardrails they can still hit oncoming traffic.

Don't drink and drive, don't speed on slippery roads!

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't drink and drive, don't speed on slippery roads!

Yes, common sense advice,  but the road environment can still be made safer for the crap drivers.

Perhaps you believe those drivers deserve their fate?  Do you think that straying off line and crashing into a lump of concrete placed every 50 metres or so on the very edge of the road is well deserved karma for being unskilled or idiotic?

My home country has break-away poles next to roads so accidents don't automatically become fatal.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, common sense advice,  but the road environment can still be made safer for the crap drivers.

Perhaps you believe those drivers deserve their fate?  Do you think that straying off line and crashing into a lump of concrete placed every 50 metres or so on the very edge of the road is well deserved karma for being unskilled or idiotic?

My home country has break-away poles next to roads so accidents don't automatically become fatal.

mate, if they had break away pole in Thailand the country would go broke replacing them inside a year with all the crappy drivers. I have never had a problem with the concrete ones in the years I have been driving here but then I dont drink and drive, drive fast in unsuitable/wet conditions and dont drive like a maniac ignoring all the road rules. Everyone knows they are there, if they hit one its usually their fault, not the poles.

if anyone can tell the speed of the vehicle prior to the crash, they are very clever people, hardly any damage, i have been to many RTC's and from my experience i could tell the speed from those photo's, i have seen a lot worse and the occupants have/has survived and a lot less damage and occupants  have died,

as to breakaway electric poles, would that not be asking for a more serious event.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, seajae said:

mate, if they had break away pole in Thailand the country would go broke replacing them inside a year with all the crappy drivers. I have never had a problem with the concrete ones in the years I have been driving here but then I dont drink and drive, drive fast in unsuitable/wet conditions and dont drive like a maniac ignoring all the road rules. Everyone knows they are there, if they hit one its usually their fault, not the poles.

I've never hit a post either. and I didn't blame the posts for causing people to run into them.

In fact if you read my post properly you would see I described drivers here variously as, crap, unskilled and idiotic.

I guess where we differ in opinion is that I consider it would be reasonable to make the road environment here safer, as well as training the drivers. (Including Russians)

I hope one of those crap drivers never shunts you off the edge of the road and into an immovable lump of concrete.

looking at the photo, the back end of the car is on the pole.  So an odd accident.  Car turned, flipped or  somehow got on the other side of the pole.  The photos on the link look like a road edge or hill is right there.  I bet no seatbelts/shoulder harnesses were used.

Archived