ID required from Don Muang

Johnniey

from nokair site 

Infant aged under 7-year old requires the original birth certificate or passport.

Children aged 7-15 year old requires the original birth certificate or ID card or passport.

Passenger aged above 15- year old requires ID card or passport.

as to you not having a passport with you and travelling around the country, I'm speechless

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

from nokair site 

Infant aged under 7-year old requires the original birth certificate or passport.

Children aged 7-15 year old requires the original birth certificate or ID card or passport.

Passenger aged above 15- year old requires ID card or passport.

as to you not having a passport with you and travelling around the country, I'm speechless

Thanks for that info. 

Not sure why you're speechless - I've never in 31 years had a problem travelling Thailand without my passport, my DL has always been enough.

your passport is the only document in your possession that confirms your immigration status, in these times of military rule, form tm28 and tm30 requests, checking into hotels,  etc. how could you risk being locked up, while someone at the other end of the country try's to find it. even your Thai driving licence may not hold your up to date passport number. the 4th line of my previous post shows what form of iD is required by nokair for persons over 15

but you life 

On 22/10/2016 at 7:56 PM, steve187 said:

your passport is the only document in your possession that confirms your immigration status, in these times of military rule, form tm28 and tm30 requests, checking into hotels,  etc. how could you risk being locked up, while someone at the other end of the country try's to find it. even your Thai driving licence may not hold your up to date passport number. the 4th line of my previous post shows what form of iD is required by nokair for persons over 15

but you life 

I have a photo of my passport on my phone and I would NEVER be locked up for not having my passport, lol.

My wife or kids can always book a hotel but the one we stayed in was a regular and owned by a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Nok Air or any other domestic flights carriers requires a recognized photo ID and a Thai DL is more then sufficient for this purpose.

I also never take my passport with me when i'm travelling domestically in Thailand but use my Thai DL or government ID.

The passport is in my safe at home but i have a copy with me from the details and visa extension status.

Thai DL is always excepted in hotels etc and if they need my passport and visa information i can give it to them from the copy.

I stay in all sorts of hotels (from 1 to 5 stars) on almost a monthly basis for the last 28 years and never had any problem with.

• 7 months later...

I do believe that you can use just some form of photo ID for the airline.

Airline only compares name and maybe birthday with the booking.

But as others I would never do a remote/multiday trip without my passport.

You have a lot of trouble if something goes wrong (accident, raid) and you have to proof your ID to police or the like.

Also many hotels simply don't check-in foreigners without passport, as they are obliged to register them with immigration and check whether you are staying legal.

I assume the kid with no ID (younger then seven years e.g.) might get through. Do you travel with mother of the child (wife)?

It should be allowed to ask whether you have at least a photocopy of your passport?

• 1 month later...

Nok Air has always accepted my Thai DL for domestic trips. But I never travel without my passport after having spent the night in a provincial jail, due to a simple motor vehicle accident, while my son collected my passport in BKK.

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2016 at 3:11 PM, JaseTheBass said:

Do it all the time.

The only time my DL hasn't been warmly accepted was at a guesthouse in KSR (don't ask), but it was eventually accpeted when I told her to shut up and get on with checking me in.

You fly around Thailand without passport on you?

Do you know that you'll be very likely detained until you can produce your passport? Lets sai you live in Chiang Mai, and you are stopped by police for some reason  in Phuket, they will hold you until you get somone to deliver your passport to Phuket police station. It could be some time. In my case, living alone, I don't have anyone who I could ask to get my passport. 

Friend of mine was taken to Pattaya soi 9 police station during a bar raid, he and some othe guy had photocopies of their passport. Police took thm in, of course they allowed him to use phone, he called his girlfriend, they both stayed in Pattaya. She went to police station with his passport, and he was released. If his passport for some reason was in another province, he would have enjoyed some quality time in a cell, until he gets someone to deliver his passport.

I'd say it's easier to carry passport while away from home. 

Archived