May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

May ready for tough talks over Brexit

606x341_347411.jpg

Theresa May has warned Britain’s negotiations to leave the EU will take some time.

The UK prime minister says she is ready for some “difficult moments”, but will fight to remain part of the bloc’s single market.

It was May’s first European Council since becoming prime minister after the UK voted to leave the EU in June.

She made it clear that she hoped some of the most complicated talks London has ever undertaken will be held in a constructive manner.

“Obviously, we have got negotiations ahead of ourselves. Those negotiations will take time, as I say, there will be some difficult moments, we are going to need some give and take,” May told a press conference.

A hard Brexit?

Having earlier provoked concern among stakeholders that she was heading for a “hard Brexit”, May moved to ease concerns.

She said she wanted the best trade deal possible.

A so-called “hard Brexit” would mean a clear break with the single market to control immigration.

“We are not looking to adopt another model that somebody else has in relation to their trade with the European Union,” May said. “What we want is to develop what is a new relationship for the UK with the EU,” she continued, outlining her aim for a bespoke deal.

“We want to have the best possible deal for trade in goods and services with, and operation within, the single European market.”

The timeline

Once May gives formal notice that Britain is leaving – by March, she has said – the EU Council will meet at 27, minus May, to set negotiating guidelines for the Commission.

Donald Tusk will be arbiter of what deal Britain is offered, but the Council has less than a tenth of the Commission’s 33,000 staff to work on the details.

Saving sterling

Sterling fell on fears that Britain was heading for a “hard Brexit”.

May, and some of her more eurosceptic ministers, have worked hard to reassure business and EU leaders that her policies will not hurt the economy.

What is the single market?

Envisioned as a single territory without any internal borders or regulatory obstacles to the free movement of goods and services, the EU single market accounts for:

• 500 million customers
  • 21 million small and medium-sized businesses

CETA in trouble?

Theresa May’s comments come amid reports that a landmark trade deal between the EU and Canada has collapsed.

The Commercial and Economic Trade Agreement – CETA for short – would remove tariffs from the sale of many goods between the 28 EU member states and Canada.

Some are watching the negotiations closely, seeing it as a precursor to the UK’s Brexit negotiations.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-22

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The leading FX websites are and will be a pretty good way of cutting through all the surrounding noise. The tension inside the Conservative Government appears to be revolving around the pro- and anti-strategy towards access to the single market. The stress is that access to the market will have to be 'paid' for and if that is the case then monies anticipated to be 'coming home' as a result of Brexit, do not materialise for those anticipating them. There are essentially 4 parties in these negotiations: The official UK government, the Hard Brexit ministers, the EU and the state of sterling.

This is an intelligent start!

Let's hope contributors keep to the point this time.

It would be useful to discuss the finer points.

I feel Sterling is being supported as a result of May's change of tone. Issue for me is has she actually been converted to a "sensible" exit strategy?

As far as the Walloons are concerned, does anyone know what their real concerns are? Seems very late in the day.

Best of luck negotiating something decent after such a stupid, self-destructive mistake.

It is hard to exaggerate the scale of the disaster the British people have inflicted upon themselves with their decision to leave the European Union, taken in the referendum last June. More than three and a half months since the vote, some of this damage is difficult to quantify, including loss of influence with the US, Europe, and the wider world, the flourishing of insular nationalism, especially in England, and growing hostility toward immigrants—a tendency that had been already visible during the referendum campaign and was disgracefully exploited by the Leave campaigners. But in recent weeks, there have also been stark indications of a kind of damage that is readily quantifiable and severe: the damage that Brexit has and will continue to inflict on the UK economy—an economy that, after decades of mismanagement, is overwhelmingly dependent on foreign enterprise and foreign capital.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/10/18/brexit-death-of-british-business/

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Best of luck negotiating something decent after such a stupid, self-destructive mistake.

What an excellent piece! Should be compulsory reading for all contributors. I agree wholeheartedly with all the points and the historical references ?

3 hours ago, fabphil said:

Just get on with it and get it done, get far away from EU as possible

We just had one thread shut down because it was hijacked by stupidity. This thread will have sensible discussion of the actual issues. If you can't contribute sensibly, please leave us alone. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

We took our opportunity. America should take it's opportunity now also. 

And again

Clearly you did not read the posted article.

Either provide useful contributions or leave. Thank you

9 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

The fact is this is a long term thing. No one knows the final outcomes.

You can go on and on discussing the if buts and maybes.

5-10 years we will know the answer.  

True, but we should be negotiating wisely for the benefit of all. Looks to me that May has moved from the primacy of migration to the primacy of the economy. That's a major breakthrough IMHO. Her earlier arrogant stance just won her a cold shoulder.

Alright, I may be but a simple 'merican, but I think the question for most Brit's is 'what did you actually vote for'?

Since the actually referendum was so simplistic, In or out, it's hard to tell.

The 'In' option was easy, status quo. The 'out' was about as nebulous as it comes.

I've talked to many of my British friends, and as far as I can tell none of them could actually tell me what they voted for, those that voted 'out'.

The opinions I've heard are all over the map; borders, immigration, laws, but not one of the people I've talked to even mentioned the fact that they even considered an Out vote meant leaving the single market.

The problem with referendums are when you pose extremely complex questions, couched within extremely simplistic answers, the likelihood is you will get a clusterfu**k.

Mr Cameron will have quite a legacy to deal with

23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

True, but we should be negotiating wisely for the benefit of all. Looks to me that May has moved from the primacy of migration to the primacy of the economy. That's a major breakthrough IMHO. Her earlier arrogant stance just won her a cold shoulder.

I don't think she has moved at all other than some mood music to hold sterling's drop.

I think at the moment it is posturing. It is much too early to start drawing lines in the sand by either side. 

To answer GinBoy2's question, people voted brexit overwhelmingly to stop immigration.  That was sold to them very hard by Farage,  They were also lied to about the amount of money that would be saved and then put into the NHS.  The rest of it was vague because nobody really understood all the EU bureaucracy.  Both sides lied about brexit and we will see just which side will end up being closer in the final chapter.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

This is an intelligent start!

Let's hope contributors keep to the point this time.

It would be useful to discuss the finer points.

I feel Sterling is being supported as a result of May's change of tone. Issue for me is has she actually been converted to a "sensible" exit strategy?

As far as the Walloons are concerned, does anyone know what their real concerns are? Seems very late in the day.

I lived for a while in that part of Belgium, near Mons.

The Walloons principal preoccupation seemed to be with being more French than the French. As far as relationships with other nations (or provinces of Belgium) they seemed impervious to reason.

57 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think at the moment it is posturing. It is much too early to start drawing lines in the sand by either side. 

To answer GinBoy2's question, people voted brexit overwhelmingly to stop immigration.  That was sold to them very hard by Farage,  They were also lied to about the amount of money that would be saved and then put into the NHS.  The rest of it was vague because nobody really understood all the EU bureaucracy.  Both sides lied about brexit and we will see just which side will end up being closer in the final chapter.

Taking the government stance Brexit means Brexit and the Conservative conference speeches ,the resistance to parliament, are they acknowledging lies outweigh the truth

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Either provide useful contributions or leave. Thank you

Just been promoted to moderator have you?

Would useful contributions also mean no personal insults or denigrating the 17 million plus people who voted in favour of Brexit?

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just been promoted to moderator have you?

Would useful contributions also mean no personal insults or denigrating the 17 million plus people who voted in favour of Brexit?

Wise guy!

Some of us are sick to death of the low level of contributions from either side. I come on TV for interesting, informative debate.

There have been two excellent pieces posted on here already. Why not look at them?

Seriously, if you're not interested in serious discussion, go elsewhere. I'm being polite. ?

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

Wise guy!

Some of us are sick to death of the low level of contributions from either side. I come on TV for interesting, informative debate.

There have been two excellent pieces posted on here already. Why not look at them?

Seriously, if you're not interested in serious discussion, go elsewhere. I'm being polite. ?

Grouse

Not all the contributors to TVF are as intellectually articulate as yourself so please make allowances :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Wise guy!

Maybe have a word with the Mods, see if you can have a discussion group only catering for highly intelligent people like yourself, and let the rest of the plebs battle it out between ourselves?

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Maybe have a word with the Mods, see if you can have a discussion group only catering for highly intelligent people like yourself, and let the rest of the plebs battle it out between ourselves?

Good attempt at irony, but that's not a bad idea! A thread that can be read by all, but with contributions by invitation only. I'm serious; I'm bored with poorly informed shallow debate. I'm not mentioning any names, but you're no fool, you know what I am referring to. I would also like conversations restored and not truncated to just 2 comments ?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Wise guy!

Your arrogance and insults just keep coming through all the time.

You seem to think that you are superior to everybody else on this forum.

If you don't like the way that a thread is running on a public forum them you have the option of reporting the post to the moderators. If the moderators consider that you are correct then they, and only they, can give the poster a holiday or even ban the poster completely.

On the previous thread which was closed you were one of the posters who insulted everybody that didn't agree with you.

YOU are not the final arbiter of what is written in this or any other thread. If you disagree with a post then explain why you disagree.

You are biased against Brexit and I am biased for Brexit.

A referendum was held and the people who got the most votes were those who wished and still wish to leave.

The news that I read from the UK government is that the PM is staying on that line. That the UK government WILL negotiate a Brexit on the best possible terms that they can get. That there will be NO second referendum and no change of course.

How that will be done I leave up to the government.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I thought it was a terrific article but there's one thing that might be an internal contradiction.  It talks about one important reason that the UK is attractive to the financial industry is that the wages are lower than on the continent. Does that also apply to automobile assembly. Because the decline of the pound might well more than compensate for whatever tariffs the UK's exports are subject to.

Archived