May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

15 minutes ago, aright said:

Rolls Royce Holdings couldn't have gone into liquidation in 1971 because the company wasn't formed until 2011. Rolls Royce Limited (different company)went into liquidation in 1971.

You are grabbing at straws. I never claimed any past for RR Holdings...you did but seem to haver got it confused with RR Limited. My only claim is they are a worldwide British successful company.

I never claimed RR Holdings were pro or anti Brexit you introduced that but why that would have any bearing on past or current success I don't know.

Why you would want to bad mouth a successful British Company Is beyond me. In the first half of 2017 they had a revenue of £1941million providing profit before tax of £1941million. Their share price is a healthy £9 and you will find them in most large pension plans.

What' s the problem. I'm British and proud of their achievement.  

You might want to address the reasons for Rolls Royce shares dive earlier in the year: In February 2017, Rolls Royce posted a record reported loss of 4.6 billion pounds. Part of this was to settle bribery charges and another part of those losses was written down due to sterling losses on Brexit. This capped off a number of difficult years with a string of profit warnings. Just waving a rah-rah flag is just not enough. And that is why many Brexiteers are considered naive, uninformed and unprepared for the real world. http://uk.businessinsider.com/rolls-royce-results-share-price-reaction-february-2017-2

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Sozzled or not, you should cut out the double-spacing! The nonsense of what I have been reading in some of the above contributions is that the very same people who want to laud Rees-Mogg for his educational background were the very first in the queue to denounce Cameron for the very same thing! That's the trouble with some poorly educated individuals....Bad memories! Rees-Mogg doesn't even look right. I'll tell you who he reminds me of: Parker in Fireball XL5.

If you were as educated, as you claim to be, you would know quite well that 'Parker' was Lady Penelope's driver (pink ROLLS ROYCE) in Thunderbirds.   

Why would I want to address the issues  you raise. I  am not in the market for their shares at the moment I think there are more profitable sectors to consider and I certainly wouldn't take brokerage advice from you. I use professionals. You thought they made cars. Can I say for the last time Rolls Royce holdings  are in the list of top 100 successful  British Companies. The fact they have History does not detract from their very good first half performance. That's all I am saying.

You are of course allowed to think they are a very bad company if you wish...end of

1 hour ago, aright said:

Why would I want to address the issues  you raise. I  am not in the market for their shares at the moment I think there are more profitable sectors to consider and I certainly wouldn't take brokerage advice from you. I use professionals. You thought they made cars. Can I say for the last time Rolls Royce holdings  are in the list of top 100 successful  British Companies. The fact they have History does not detract from their very good first half performance. That's all I am saying.

You are of course allowed to think they are a very bad company if you wish...end of

RR first half performance still one of recovery from past years only in 2017 throw in the addition of a rather ugly February crash. Even historically price still lower than the peaks in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Since RR is a FTSE100 company saying it is in the top 100 is meaningless. Looking at 2016 figures, not even in the top 10 for performance. Resilient though and hopefully Brexit will not do too much damage.

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

RR first half performance still one of recovery from past years only in 2017 throw in the addition of a rather ugly February crash. Even historically price still lower than the peaks in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Since RR is a FTSE100 company saying it is in the top 100 is meaningless. Looking at 2016 figures, not even in the top 10 for performance. Resilient though and hopefully Brexit will not do too much damage.

Thanks for the wiki info but I'm not clear is it cars or jet engines?  With your track record I suppose it might be roller blinds .:biggrin:

11 hours ago, aright said:

A good dictionary will tell you the difference between scrutiny, debate and rejection.

Of the 12000 pieces of legislation imposed by the EU can you tell us how many have been rejected by our Parliament.

The European Communities Act 1972 implicitly recognised the primacy of EU law over UK law. Years later this was deepened and extended by the decisions of the top court........The European Court of Justice

On the specifics of EU legislation the EU has approximately 740 MEPs 

The sick economies of the EU  Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain have 180 MEP's the UK has 72. Do you honestly think the basket cases of Europe are going to be discussing legislation of value to Britain. The likelihood is they will pursue their own pecuniary interests.

The UK in voting terms has 10% of the chambers votes (very little influence).

Do I want Lithuania, Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia et al having a say in legislation which is binding on the UK. No!

You are obviously happy for these countries to be a wilful force in the UK. You voted stay  

To assert that the UK has no input in regards to EU legislation is nonsense.

Take for example Art 288 of TFEU, a directive is binding in result only, it is for national member states to choice and form.

The UK readily gold plated directives and it was in 2013 when Mr Fallon declared that the UK had stopped this practice.

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I disagree.  If the lower paid and average salary workers in the UK had prospered, they would have accepted the overpaid/over bureaucratic/wasteful EU, and only grumbled about these traits.

You disagree. So you believe that if circumstances were different the brexiteers would be happy with the same criteria as the "successful" union that was being referred to.

Common currency

No borders

Central administration

Federal army etc etc.

10 hours ago, aright said:

Total rubbish.

Aston Martin have attracted a £500 million investment from Japan. Since the referendum Softbank, Nissan and Toyota have invested heavily in the UK . Mrs May has secured a post Brexit deal with Japan. Other trade deals USA and the Commonwealth are being discussed at the moment.

On the home front we have large world wide players with a British pedigree.

B P,   HSBC,  Tesco, Prudential,  Vodaphone,  Unilever,  Barclays,  Lloyds,  SSE,  Centrica,  GlaxoSmith Kline,  Aviva,

J Sainsbury, Rio Tinto,  RBS,  BT,  Compass Group,  BAE Systems, Rolls Royce Holdings etc etc 

You do know don't you the British economy is the fifth largest in the world. 

Ahem!

6 hours ago, aright said:

Thanks for the wiki info but I'm not clear is it cars or jet engines?  With your track record I suppose it might be roller blinds .:biggrin:

They also build marine gas turbines and other machinery and ship systems. The new RN carriers have them.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

http://tinyurl.com/yc22jt4b

Rees-Mogg? Known to his fellow Parliamentarians as the MP for The Nineteenth Century Constituency. It would seem that most forum Hard Brexiteers are prepared to harness their wagon to any old fool these days.

But not just any old fool. Re this particular class act, our forum Hard Brexiteers are prepared to line up behind someone (ie Rees Mogg) who explicitly opposes abortion even in the event of rape/incest. That is the sort of person they are happy to identify with. Now let us observe as to which ones helpfully try to spin that one out with the usual nit-picking.

10 hours ago, aright said:

Couldn't care less how you invest your savings, but good luck with the professionals.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

They also build marine gas turbines and other machinery and ship systems. The new RN carriers have them.

For gods sake don't make statements like this. We will now get chapter and verse on "it's true they make other machinery but it' s of very poor  quality and you should  expect this from a company run by Hamsters; best buy the good ones from Germany) " :biggrin:

1 minute ago, aright said:

For gods sake don't make statements like this. We will now get chapter and verse on "it's true they make other machinery but it' s of very poor  quality and you should  expect this from a company run by Hamsters; best buy the good ones from Germany)  :biggrin:

Germany even makes better pencils.

21 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Even the best pencil sharpeners were German made.

5 minutes ago, aright said:

Best suited to your small pencil no doubt.

German pencils still the best I believe. Staedtler was/is the brand. British pencils still holding their own though I see. Maybe Grouse can find time to visit the Derwent Pencil Museum on his holiday travels. https://www.derwentart.com/en/gb/7523/derwent-pencil-museum

14 hours ago, aright said:

Total rubbish.

Aston Martin have attracted a £500 million investment from Japan. Since the referendum Softbank, Nissan and Toyota have invested heavily in the UK . Mrs May has secured a post Brexit deal with Japan. Other trade deals USA and the Commonwealth are being discussed at the moment.

On the home front we have large world wide players with a British pedigree.

B P,   HSBC,  Tesco, Prudential,  Vodaphone,  Unilever,  Barclays,  Lloyds,  SSE,  Centrica,  GlaxoSmith Kline,  Aviva,

J Sainsbury, Rio Tinto,  RBS,  BT,  Compass Group,  BAE Systems, Rolls Royce Holdings etc etc 

You do know don't you the British economy is the fifth largest in the world. 

And how many of these successful British companies are major manufacturers, making cars or aircraft for example. The pharmaceuticals won't be hanging around once the EMA packs its bags.

Progress can only come from international cooperation but the UK wants to cherry pick. They don't want the EU only to participate in joint ventures, research and development and various other EU initiatives.

They kicked the golf club committee in the teeth and now expect to play with the members for free.

BTW There is no "secured" deal with Japan, only a pledge to start trade talks.

"Three times during the press conference at the Akasaka palace in Tokyo, Abe stressed the need for Japanese firms to be reassured by a “transparent and predictable” Brexit process, echoing language he used earlier in the day at a business summit."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/31/theresa-may-secures-japanese-pledge-on-post-brexit-trade-deal

47 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

UK inflation hits 2.9%. Thanks Brexit!

UK is now the second largest global power, claims think tank as it rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit

• Henry Jackson Society think tank says UK is a 'leading global power nation'
  • Its Audit of Geopolitical Capacity puts the country before Germany and France
  • The report finds the US and UK command ‘astonishing lead’ in global influence 

The Henry Jackson Society rejects the ‘doom and gloom’ around Brexit and finds that the UK remains a ‘leading global power nation’.

Its report, an ‘Audit of Geopolitical Capacity’ puts the UK ahead of EU nations such as Germany and France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874780/UK-second-largest-global-power-says-think-tank.html

Archived