May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I linked to an article earlier this year on this particular investment fund increasing it's investments considerably in the UK.

With the drop in sterling, UK companies are cheap at the moment when you are valuing them in a foreign currency.

One of the possible options for our future trading arrangements with the EU could be joining EFTA with a big stumbling block to joining being the agreement of Norway so them having large investments here is promising for such a deal and would mean their investments increasing significantly in value since it would be very positive for sterling.

15 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Not stopping the Norwegians investing in the UK

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway’s $830 billion (£584 billion) sovereign wealth fund, the world’s biggest, does not see the prospect of Britain leaving the European Union as a significant risk to its investments, its chief executive told Reuters on Wednesday.

The comments came as the fund reported an overall fourth-quarter gain but said it may need to support government spending to the tune of 80 billion crowns (£6.6 billion) this year.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norway-swf/norways-830-billion-wealth-fund-to-invest-in-uk-regardless-of-brexit-idUKKCN0WB1NJ

There is a big difference between manufacturing investment and this type of investment for profit.

The fund invests in equities, bonds and real estate globally.

https://www.nbim.no/en/the-fund/holdings/

I am sure the Toyota and Nissan workers will sleep better on that information.

Just now, sandyf said:

It will no doubt come as a shock to you to learn that this has been the case for a long time now - wealthy companies in wealthy countries (at least for those at the 'top'...) selling arms and misery to other countries....

Just a reminder........He's the man.....He did an excellent interview on radio4 this morning. When asked if he worried about the uncertainty as a result of Brexit he said business is all about uncertainty and uncertainty spells opportunity. He also said  the uncertainty is caused by Barnier refusing to respond to the UK's positive proposals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/13/sir-james-dyson-i-would-trigger-brexit-now--and-negotiate-trade/

5 minutes ago, aright said:

Just a reminder........He's the man.....He did an excellent interview on radio4 this morning. When asked if he worried about the uncertainty as a result of Brexit he said business is all about uncertainty and uncertainty spells opportunity. He also said  the uncertainty is caused by Barnier refusing to respond to the UK's positive proposals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/13/sir-james-dyson-i-would-trigger-brexit-now--and-negotiate-trade/

Yes, an opportunity for Asian companies to buy up what little remains of UK industries at rock bottom prices.

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There are two arguments to consider. One is re the the arms trade per se, and that might be left to another thread on another day. The second is specifically what impact, if any, Brexit might have on the UK arms trade. There is a suggestion that the removal of EU regulations re trade with countries with poor human rights records might encourage export to those countries. Maybe. What Michael Fallon is actually burbling on about difficult to decipher other than mood music.

35 minutes ago, aright said:

James Dyson has opened 2017 a new technology center in Singapore. The UK technology company has invested 352 million euros in the research facility and plans to increase the number of employees on site by 50 percent. The engineers will work on state-of-the-art manufacturing, software and robotics solutions in the perfectly equipped laboratories.

Company founder James Dyson explains: "It is no coincidence that we are investing further in Singapore. Here, the smartest minds in the world work on the development of artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, flow dynamics and vision systems to unite hardware, electronics and software.

From the UK as location, he does not seem so enthusiastic.

31 minutes ago, aright said:

Also on radio 4 was Sir Charles Mayfield (John Lewis )

"I think we need to do justice to that uncertainty and there needs to be a serious parliamentary debate to figure out what kind of Brexit we're going to have in the best interests of the economy and the country."

26 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

If you can name a Person whoes come to England just to give, not take, name them .Rolf Harris i suppose.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Prince Philip. Anyway, is this an anti-immigrant thread troll question question masquerading as something else?

28 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

If you can name a Person whoes come to England just to give, not take, name them .Rolf Harris i suppose.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Try  Dr. Ludwig Guttman  .......German immigrant.

Nice try, fair choises,nice folks, but not bearer of Gifts.Name one who came and didnt benefit finance or status wise.?. Im sure there are some, and would love to be enlightened.

Depending on which side of the fence you sit on does Gisela Stuart, Chair of the Vote Leave campaign, count?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Orac said:

Depending on which side of the fence you sit on does Gisela Stuart, Chair of the Vote Leave campaign, count?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Again another acceptable runaway, nice person too, but i ran to Thailand to escape Blair n Islamic Imegrants breeding faster than Rabbits 35 years ago,  bringing wealth here, not for gain. Im not Alone.

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Again another acceptable runaway, nice person too, but i ran to Thailand to escape Blair n Islamic Imegrants breeding faster than Rabbits 35 years ago,  bringing wealth here, not for gain. Im not Alone.

As I thought, out and out racist flying a nonsense question to hijack the thread.

Archived